Toyota Nation Forum banner

Thoughts on throttle body & fuel injector service

24K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bull6791 
#1 · (Edited)
Thoughts, was I being juiced? Came back to pick up the vehicle after getting standard oil change, and the service manager had advised me it would be wise to get it serviced additionally for a throttle body and fuel injector cleaning. That would have been a pivot from coming in for a standard oil change to another $300 in service.

I decided it wasn't necessary at the time and paid the cashier just for the oil change, but as I was reviewing the 50 pt inspection, they also suggested that the brake fluid be exchanged....I would assume having the break flush is more of a priority than throttle body and fuel injector service, still a touchy subject. Did I do the right thing by just paying for the oil change?

#5 · (Edited)
Brake fluid starts to get dirty after so many miles. Curious, wonder what makes it 'dirty' since it should be a sealed system. Thinking it turns dark due to heat and wear and tear with the hose/seals? Some people never had brake fluid change except add when it becomes low or when doing pads. Their brakes works fine. For me it's more of an OCD thing and having high miles Camry, I'd like to try keep the brake system in good shape. It has been noted that very worn out brake fluids will lower the boiling point of the fluid and cause potential issues if there is enough moisture in the fluid.

Reactions: Chuck Taylor
#6 ·
Fuel injector cleaning 'service' = HUSTLE.
Throttle body cleaning 'service' = HUSTLE.
Break fluid 'exchange' = HUSTLE.

Stearliships are hustlers, the will try to 'upsell' you needless 'services'

- Fuel IS a cleaner. Your fuel injectors don't need to be cleaned, fuel is already a solvent.
- Throttle bodies don't need cleaning unless the PCV system is plugged and running backwards putting blowby on the back of the throttle plate
- Break fluid doesn't need to be 'exchanged', it goes from clear to brown in a matter of months no matter what you do...

Fear sells however!

:)

#8 ·
- Break fluid doesn't need to be 'exchanged', it goes from clear to brown in a matter of months no matter what you do...

Fear sells however!

:)
Not sure what kind of environment your driving in, but my fluid stays pretty clear for a few years, which I suspect yearly brake bleeding a bit err excessive for me. One car where the brake caliper was dragging, that wheel caliper had the darkest coke color fluid that came out of it. Other wheels were fine. Fluid color isn't the only way to check though.

You can run the original brake fluid honestly, there are many people out there who does. But like wise there are many people out there who never had a transmission fluid service too so YMMV. In places where there are a lot of hills or if you are an aggressive driver, I'd get the brake fluid service when needed.

Reactions: Chuck Taylor
#9 ·
Buy a kit and check your brake fluid for absorbed water. If they suggest to have your injectors cleaned tell them you want to watch them do an injector balance test and see individual results. And pop off the air inlet on your throttle body, If its anything like mine was it's filthy.

Just because they try to up-sale you doesn't mean it's necessary or un-necessary.

#10 ·
kingdom, i don't show brake fluid change as a maintenance item so i'm not sure when it's supposed to be done. if it's something that i need to do, i'll do it though. i don't believe in not changing fluids like trans, etc. just never thought much about the brake fluid, specially here in the desert. :)

OP, i agree with others that probably some or all of that stuff the dealer quoted would be ok to do and it's a big bonus if you get your hands dirty, buy a haynes, watch some vids and try to do those things yourself.

nothing mentioned is hard or very expensive to do yourself. heck, that's why this board exists if you think about it.
tony

#12 ·
kingdom, i don't show brake fluid change as a maintenance item so i'm not sure when it's supposed to be done...

I'd put it up there on the 300,000 mile maintenance list.... but that's just me... :)

many manufacturers, don't specify an interval at all... yes everything breaksdown and degrades over time... thus 'common sense' would dictate when to add new brake fluid... however in the context of the OP's trip to the dealer, it's obviously being added on to 'upsell' un-needed 'services' ..

gasoline is a flipping SOLVENT... what WONT gasoline clean? lol.
the arse-end of the throttle plate will make it 200,000 miles before needing a cleaning if the PCV system was maintanted

#13 ·
While cleaning the throttle body by the dealership or a "quickie" oil change place is nothing but a hustle (I agree on that), these oil burning 2.4L engines could use a clean throttle body. Mine, was a mess. While replacing my intake manifold assembly (ratting noise), I noticed the TB was nasty.

I took it out and with a toothbrush, TB cleaner, and some clean shop towels cleaned that sucker up nice. Especially the edges of the butterfly and the TB where the butterfly edges are close to it at idle. Wow, what a difference. The car idles properly now (no vibration) and is very smooth coming off idle to add power. My cost? A few bucks for the TB solvent. Just spraying the solvent alone (which is all the tech monkeys are going to do) would have done virtually nothing.

7milesout

#15 ·
yes, you're correct about older cars having grease zerks. my 53 gmc and 63 impala let you grease/lube everything that moved, in stark contrast to today's 100k miles disposables.

whenever i ponder life's questions that don't initially make sense, i just remember that the almighty dollar is the guiding principle in almost all situations and then i frame my question in that context and voila, it all makes sense at that point...:)

tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.