Size of Front Door Speakers? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View diycamry's Photo Gallery
Gen6 Size of Front Door Speakers?

Does anyone know the size of the front door speakers? I'm looking to upgrade and Crutchfield shows both 5 1/4" and 6 1/2".
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
User, not a Loser

View 2007CamryXLE's Photo Gallery
Maybe they both fit.
2007CamryXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
'07 XLE

Gameroom cash: $283530
View njerald's Photo Gallery
Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diycamry
Does anyone know the size of the front door speakers? I'm looking to upgrade and Crutchfield shows both 5 1/4" and 6 1/2".
6x9 with my JBL system.

6x9 with base system also per service manual.

Last edited by njerald; 08-16-2006 at 09:32 PM.
njerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gen6

That's what I thought. Now why would Crutchfield only provide 5" and 6" replacements?

I also spoke to a guy at Best buy and he said there are problems when upgrading the speakers with the JBL system. Can someone verify this?

I'm not too knowledgeable in this area so really not sure what to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njerald
6x9 with my JBL system.

6x9 with base system also per service manual.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
'07 XLE

Gameroom cash: $283530
View njerald's Photo Gallery
Gen6

Quote:
That's what I thought. Now why would Crutchfield only provide 5" and 6" replacements?

I also spoke to a guy at Best buy and he said there are problems when upgrading the speakers with the JBL system. Can someone verify this?

Don't know. The JBL are 2.2 ohm vs std. spkrs are 4 ohm.
njerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View whitenoize's Photo Gallery
You have to realize that the stock speakers are 6x9 BUT with very shallow basket\magnet depth.
If you were to pop in most aftermarket 6x9s, they would not fit because of the depth required.
This is why Crutchfield says that they do not have any 6x9s that fit the 07 Camry.

I personally would recommend that you replace the fronts with 6 1/2" Components.
You will probably have to have an audio shop cut some MDF adapters to allow the smaller diameter drivers to fit in the holes.

2007 Camry LE

Upgrades: Factory lip spoiler, Stainless Exhaust Tip, Hybrid Camry Grille, SE Center Console Bin, Stainless Door Sills and Gentex Auto-Dimming mirror with Homelink

whitenoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $333550
View jjthenovice's Photo Gallery
Gen6

Quote:

If you have the JBL system, then check out this link on the JBL system it should answer most of your questions: http://www.jbltoyota.com/toyota_camr...advantages.asp
Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View whitenoize's Photo Gallery
Yeah, I gave this link in a thread last week.

Really everyone in this forum needs to know to search for topics first before starting a new thread. Geez...
Go back and skim the last three pages of threads and count how many threads exist on the topic of 07 Camry car audio.

It's amazing....

2007 Camry LE

Upgrades: Factory lip spoiler, Stainless Exhaust Tip, Hybrid Camry Grille, SE Center Console Bin, Stainless Door Sills and Gentex Auto-Dimming mirror with Homelink

whitenoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View black_cam2007's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoize
Yeah, I gave this link in a thread last week.

Really everyone in this forum needs to know to search for topics first before starting a new thread. Geez...
Go back and skim the last three pages of threads and count how many threads exist on the topic of 07 Camry car audio.

It's amazing....
Really you guys are waay too sensitive on the issue of searching...if you dont want to answer a question you dont have too...just keep scrolling down to the next post...who cares if someone starts a new thread, its not a matter of life and death its a freaking forum. I do understand your point, but like I said you guys are way to sensitive about this.

Whitenoize..since most 6x9's dont fit in the new camry....do you recommend or know of any that do fit?
(hopefully this is not a question that has already been posed..)
black_cam2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Does anyone know the difference between 2.2 vs. 4 ohm speakers? Will both work in the front door location of the JBL system Camry?

I'm not that knowledgeable, so keep the words short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njerald
Don't know. The JBL are 2.2 ohm vs std. spkrs are 4 ohm.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View black_cam2007's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone know the difference between 2.2 vs. 4 ohm speakers? Will both work in the front door location of the JBL system Camry?

I'm not that knowledgeable, so keep the words short.
I need to know the answer to that too...!
black_cam2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View mikegett's Photo Gallery
The ohm rating is the resistance the amplifier sees from the speaker. The lower the number the higher the resistance. A higher resistance of 2 ohms will allow the amplifier to draw more wattage. You can place a lower resistance speaker rated for 4 ohms onto the JbL amp, but it will ony draw half the wattage it previously did. Since aftermarket speakers are already rated for higher wattage recommendations, it will probably sound flat. Your best bet would be to add a seperate amp and aftermarket speakers.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
07 Camry SE V6

View wilfredcruz's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegett
The ohm rating is the resistance the amplifier sees from the speaker. The lower the number the higher the resistance. A higher resistance of 2 ohms will allow the amplifier to draw more wattage. You can place a lower resistance speaker rated for 4 ohms onto the JbL amp, but it will ony draw half the wattage it previously did. Since aftermarket speakers are already rated for higher wattage recommendations, it will probably sound flat. Your best bet would be to add a seperate amp and aftermarket speakers.
the lower the number the lower resistance. the lower the ohm the more power you get from amp.
some amps are not stable below 2 ohms, but some will go down to 1 ohm
depending on how you connect your speakers, you could make the amp "see" 1,2,4,8 ohms, depending on what are you trying to achieve.
I have a 15 in sub with dual coils, connected so I get 4ohms, that way my amp gives me 800w rms matchin the sub capacity. thats why toucant just go crazy and conenct all speakes to one amp if you don't know what you are doing you could burn the amp and you system is not gonna sound good.

recommend you get aftermarket amp and speaker....
make sure that you speakers mact the amp RMS rating very close. @ the ohm s that you speaker will be.
do some reasearch online and you wil find out how to connect speaker in many different ways. so your amp produce what you need.

Last edited by wilfredcruz; 08-18-2006 at 09:10 AM.
wilfredcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $138630
View gideon1331's Photo Gallery
You can also install a speaker with a higher ohm rating than what the amplifier is rated for, as in a 4 ohm speaker will work fine with the stock JBL amp, should you try to do that. The converse to that is that you cannot install a speaker with a lower ohm rating, as that can damage the amplifier.

If it sounds good enough (to your ears) then there is no real need for another amp. However, if you install aftermarket speakers and crank it too loud, they will try to draw too much power from the JBL amp and cause it to 'clip', damaging both the amplifier and the speakers. In an ideal situation, your amplifier should be rated to put out significantly more power than the speakers can handle...its just your job not to crank it high enough to blow the speakers.

Last edited by gideon1331; 08-18-2006 at 11:56 AM.
gideon1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Having read the above, I'm looking at a pair of JBL 2 ohm speakers from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GxNIBE3...00&I=109GTO527

Will this work on my front doors? Will I get better sound than the stock?
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)