Backing up then moving forward causes a bang noise - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ScuseMe's Photo Gallery
Gen6 Backing up then moving forward causes a bang noise

Hi,

This is a strange thing with my brand-new '07 Camry XLE (~700 miles) -

When I back out of my driveway, then put it into drive to start out, right after the Camry shifts into 2nd gear I hear a muffled bang noise that sounds like it's coming from under the car, between the front seats towards the engine.

As I keep driving, the bang never happens again.....unless I park for a few minutes and repeat the "back up, drive away" scenario. A "few minutes" seems to be the key. If I run into the 7-11 for a couple of minutes, the bang doesn't happen after the shift into 2nd gear. But if I go into Starbucks for 10 minutes and have a coffee, the bang will happen.

This "bang" doesn't coincide exactly with the shift into 2nd gear, but happens a couple of seconds afterwards. So I don't know if it has to do with the transmission or the steering.

If I had an old car with these symptoms, I would think that it was low in transmission fluid Anyway, does anyone have an idea what might be causing the "bang"? I want to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed, but I want to be armed with as much info as possible.

Thanks.
2007 Camry XLE V6 , Aloe Green Metallic/Bisque Leather, Sunroof with Wind Deflector (removed wind deflector), VIP with Remote Start, JBL, Body Side Molding, Rear Spoiler, Toyota OEM All-Weather Mats, Rear Bumper Applique, MTEC 4350K lamps for Low/High/Fog Lights
ScuseMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View greycam07's Photo Gallery
I know what you mean mine does it as well but i dont go from R to D i go straight into D and then its like a low thud not loud but noticable to hear it. But it only happens to me on vary occasions. I have over 1000miles on it already. When i do my 2nd oil change ill probably stop by toyota and ask about that noise. I have a feeling its just the new trans breaking in maybe idk. I have a I4 but it only happens when its cold outside(it gets around 55 degrees where im at) maybe just a cold start for it idk.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View ToyotaCarFan's Photo Gallery
Gen6 The thunk is normal - ABS self-test

Hello,

I believe that the thunk sound you hear every time you start driving forward just after starting the engine is simply the ABS system doing a Power On Self Test (POST). All Toyotas with ABS make a thunk or clank of some sort just after being started and being driven forward. The 07 Camry makes a louder sound than other Toyotas I've driven, though.

-Doug
ToyotaCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaCarFan
Hello,

I believe that the thunk sound you hear every time you start driving forward just after starting the engine is simply the ABS system doing a Power On Self Test (POST). All Toyotas with ABS make a thunk or clank of some sort just after being started and being driven forward. The 07 Camry makes a louder sound than other Toyotas I've driven, though.

-Doug
This would be good if it is the ABS POST. But what I don't understand is why it doesn't happen everytime I start and drive forward; only when I've driven backward, then forward. I've never heard the "bang" only when I've driven forward.

But it's definitely something to ask the delaer about. Thanks.
2007 Camry XLE V6 , Aloe Green Metallic/Bisque Leather, Sunroof with Wind Deflector (removed wind deflector), VIP with Remote Start, JBL, Body Side Molding, Rear Spoiler, Toyota OEM All-Weather Mats, Rear Bumper Applique, MTEC 4350K lamps for Low/High/Fog Lights
Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycam07
I know what you mean mine does it as well but i dont go from R to D i go straight into D and then its like a low thud not loud but noticable to hear it. But it only happens to me on vary occasions. I have over 1000miles on it already. When i do my 2nd oil change ill probably stop by toyota and ask about that noise. I have a feeling its just the new trans breaking in maybe idk. I have a I4 but it only happens when its cold outside(it gets around 55 degrees where im at) maybe just a cold start for it idk.
It's been around 80 degrees F around here these past days, and I've been hearing the "bang" all those times. I would like to think it's the trans breaking in, but I'd like to be sure; strange "banging" noises bother me a lot
Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
aka: DaCubanSkillz

View Explicitstylz96's Photo Gallery
just out of curiousity. do you come to a complete stop when your put it into drive after backing out? I did this one in an old car and it made a bang sound. but when I come to a complete stop and then put it into park, it wouldn't happen.
Explicitstylz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitstylz96
just out of curiousity. do you come to a complete stop when your put it into drive after backing out? I did this one in an old car and it made a bang sound. but when I come to a complete stop and then put it into park, it wouldn't happen.
Hi.....yes I do come to a complete stop after backing up, before I put it into drive. I haven't tried putting it into park after backing out, then putting it into drive. I'll try that today and see if it makes any difference.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
aka: DaCubanSkillz

View Explicitstylz96's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuseMe
Hi.....yes I do come to a complete stop after backing up, before I put it into drive. I haven't tried putting it into park after backing out, then putting it into drive. I'll try that today and see if it makes any difference.
I'm sorry..I wrote that wrong. I meant, when I came to a complete stop and put it into Drive! But you can try that as well and see what happens. If the sound worries you in anyway, then take it to the dealer to see what they say. its better to be safe then sorry.
Explicitstylz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View onsknht's Photo Gallery
Does ABS work when the car is in reverse?

I thought I read in the manual the ABS / TRAC and VSC only operate under certain vehicle configurations and speeds and I think reverse is one configuration in which these systems do not operate.

Therefore reverse may be disabling these systems and then they self check when they come online again.

Start the car and then put into drive without going to reverse first, if you hear the same noise, it may be one of these systems starting up...

If I were trying to determine the noise, I would take my hand and touch like the seat track or something else solid and reproduce the noise... If the "thud" is actually "felt" as a vibration, I'd take it in, if it cannot be felt I'd drive it and monitor the condition before taking it in. Ask them about it next time you go in.

2GR-FE
onsknht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View greycam07's Photo Gallery
After I think about it, it does sound like the breaks. Cause it does seem like its more forward to the sides of the car than to where the trans is. I never had a car with ABS so this is my first time. Its good to know its just a self check.

Last edited by greycam07; 10-05-2006 at 10:32 AM.
greycam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Don't get mad. Get even.

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View El Tano's Photo Gallery
Another of the annoying "NORMAL" things of the new Camry.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View ToyotaCarFan's Photo Gallery
USA Possibly due to issue in TSB BR008-06

If the noise only occurs after you first back up and then go forward, it may actually be a brake problem, and not just the ABS POST. Although the conditions don't exactly match yours, there's a TSB for a problem with a component in the brakes that causes a squeak when backing up, particularly when turning while backing up. TSB #BR008-06. I'd take it to the dealer and demonstrate the noise to them and see what they say.

-Doug
ToyotaCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my thread.

I've had ABS systems in my cars for many years (albeit I've never had a Toyota before), and I've never heard a sound like this. For what it's worth, the bang does not occur when starting then driving forward. It only occurs after backing up (which in my case also involves turning the steering wheel to the driver's side) then driving forward.

The bang happened several times today while I was out. I tried to listen more closely to it to isolate it's position. It seems that the bang is more on the driver's side than between the driver and passenger seats, and maybe located higher up than under the car, say in the engine compartment in front of the driver.

I had a brilliant idea that the bang could be caused by the A/C system coming on, so I shut it off before parking. Unfortunately, my "brilliant" idea didn't have a speck of light in it; the bang occurred with the A/C off.

The other thing I noticed is that it's not a metallic bang or a clunk. It's a muffled bang like a plastic door opening or closing. The bang is also not time sensitive, i.e. if I put it into drive after backing up and just sit there for a few seconds, no bang occurs. If I then go slowly forward, the bang only happens after the shift into 2nd, no matter how long that takes.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I'd love to believe it's the ABS system, but the bang doesn't sound like a "click" or "motor sound" as the manual describes.

ps - I did try backing up, then putting it into park, then drive, and started going forward; the bang still happened. Darn, I thought I could fool it by putting it into park first
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Well, I've got an appointment with my dealer this coming Monday. We'll see what the techs there say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)