Starter noise at cold engine start? - Page 8 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#106 Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
USA Starter issue on a 2004 Camry XLE V6

Greetings,
My name is Kinny, I live in North Carolina. I have a 2004 Camry XLE V6.the mileage is 64,289. The problem I'm having is when the temperature drops to 30 degrees, and my car has sat all night, once I crank the car the next morning it cranks, followed by a brief second whining/grind noise.
I've taken the car back to dealership, and they tell me they can't find any problems. They have kept the car over night and when they crank the car the next morning they don't hear this noise.
I wanted to know what could this be? To me it sounds like the starter is beginning to wear out. My warranty doesn't run out for another 22,000 miles, I was wondering do I continue to pressure to go ahead and replace the starter, will that solve the problem, or do I wait until it dies completely and I'm stranded?
Please, if anyone else has experienced this problem please tell me how I can resolve this issue. I love my Camry it's a good car, but this starter issue is irritating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#107 Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
New TN User

USA Starter issue on a 2004 Camry XLE V6

Greetings,
My name is Kinny, I live in North Carolina. I have a 2004 Camry XLE V6.the mileage is 64,289. The problem I'm having is when the temperature drops to 30 degrees, and my car has sat all night, once I crank the car the next morning it cranks, followed by a brief second whining/grind noise.
I've taken the car back to dealership, and they tell me they can't find any problems. They have kept the car over night and when they crank the car the next morning they don't hear this noise.
I wanted to know what could this be? To me it sounds like the starter is beginning to wear out. My warranty doesn't run out for another 22,000 miles, I was wondering do I continue to pressure to go ahead and replace the starter, will that solve the problem, or do I wait until it dies completely and I'm stranded?
Please, if anyone else has experienced this problem please tell me how I can resolve this issue. I love my Camry it's a good car, but this starter issue is irritating.
#108 Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
New TN User

Hi Kinny,
If I were you, I'd leave the car in over night, then sneak up on them in the morning as they open, and ask them to start the car so you can be sure that they hear the noise... just make sure the car is kept outside in the cold overnight. I think you're being fobbed off, as they don't want to invest time in your issue. Your starter needs a service, and this should be covered by the guarantee. It's not going to get better.
That's just my 2cents.
#109 Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
New TN User

What happened with your ac compressor?
#110 Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Beer & steak slave

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
guys, I didn't read whole thread, so not sure if anyone mentioned what I'm about to say.
if you can hear this noise every time on start up, then you might have sticking bendix, which not necessarily gonna fail any time soon.
starter still will work fine for many more years.
if you hear this kind grinding noise only when engine is cold, then you got issue with VVT-i gears.
sounds the same?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZK3jEwMZoRc
even tough gen 6 never went under recall for this reason (gen 6.5 did) there are plenty of cases when gen 6 owners complaining about same issue.
oil pressure just not building up fast enough.
some say they noise goes away if thicker oil used. more oil stays on gears and lubricate them for few moments before oil pressure builds to normal.
and guess what, gen 7 camry making this noise too. mine is one of them.
another pretty interesting thing that gen 9 accords even tough they got different system (v-tech) and built by different company make pretty identical noise on cold start up.
I've seen posts form lexus and toyota owners stating that they been hearing same grinding noise for 100+K miles and never had any issues besides unpleasant sound on cold start up.

2012 MGM LE

Last edited by molson.david; 02-21-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)