Difference between 3057 and 3157 bulbs? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View amyers827's Photo Gallery
Gen5 Difference between 3057 and 3157 bulbs?

Hi there-

Can anyone tell me - are 3057 and 3157 incandescent bulbs truly interchangeable?

I had a dead tail light bulb in my '05 Camry. My owner's manual calls for a 3157, so that's what I bought. But when I popped out the old bulb, it was a 3057. Sylvania.com also calls for a 3057 (contradicting my owner's manual, but consistent with the original bulb).

I installed the 3157, and it seems to be working fine, but I guess I'm looking for some level of assurance that it's OK to replace a 3057 with a 3157. As far as I can tell, there's no discernable difference in brightness or heat produced, and I'm also encouraged by the table at the following link, which seems to indicate that the 3057 and 3157 specs are identical:

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/n...9&FigNumber=27

Thanks,
Andy
amyers827 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
& JustAnotherCamry

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View JustAnotherAsian's Photo Gallery
^they are physically interchangable, but on the "low" filament, the 3057 is weaker than the 3157 (2 mcd < 3 mcd).

note: 3357 bulbs have the same "low" filament as the 3057 and 3157, but the "high" filament is 40 mcd (compared to the ~30 ish of the 3057 and 3157). i put 3357 bulbs (they have a grey base if i remember correctly) in place of the oem 3157 about 3 months ago and my bulbs are still working. i expect them to go out sometime this year, becuase they have a short 400 hour lifespan- which is the main disadvantage.

and yes, i'm talking about a taillight/stoplight, but for an '03 camry. i assumed the gen 5.5 uses the same bulbs.

Last edited by JustAnotherAsian; 02-18-2007 at 11:44 PM.
JustAnotherAsian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View amyers827's Photo Gallery
Many thanks for the response. I think I get it - the two bulbs produce the same amount of illumination for the brake lights, but the 3157 is slightly brighter than the 3057 when just the tail lights are on, right?

Of course this will bother me now, and I'll probably feel compelled to install the other 3157 so I have a matched pair. I didn't notice a difference in brightness during dusk hours, but I'll have to take a look at night, when it's really dark.

Andy
amyers827 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
&amp; JustAnotherCamry

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View JustAnotherAsian's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers827
Many thanks for the response. I think I get it - the two bulbs produce the same amount of illumination for the brake lights, but the 3157 is slightly brighter than the 3057 when just the tail lights are on, right?

Of course this will bother me now, and I'll probably feel compelled to install the other 3157 so I have a matched pair. I didn't notice a difference in brightness during dusk hours, but I'll have to take a look at night, when it's really dark.

Andy
correct. and you're also correct in the lack of a very noticable differnce in brightness.

it's a faint difference, but it's there for sure.
JustAnotherAsian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View Chuckl's Photo Gallery
Replacing both lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers827 View Post

Andy
In all cases, since the output of all incandescent lamps decreases with time of use, both (or all) lamps should be changed at the same time when any one of them burns out. That is standard procedure in the lighting industry,
Chuckl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)