Toyota Nation Forum banner

My O7 LE Steering Wheel Seems Off Center

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  ciscoboy 
#1 ·
I took delivery of a 2007 Camry LE early last evening. Today I notice that when I am driving straight down the road, that the steering wheel seems off center (to the right) by about 10-15 degrees. In other words, if you dissected the Toyota logo on the wheel, it would be angled to the right. What's up with this? I hope it's servicable!

#7 ·
Have the dealer reposition the Steering Wheel to match the straight tire position!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
Yes, it should be fine.

Actually, centering the steering wheel isn't one of the first things that is done.

They will first align the rear of the vehicle. Then they will align the front using the rear as a reference. When they align the front they will center the steering wheel at that time.

If you haven't balanced your tires yet, tell them you have a vibration at highway speeds. Then say that for that reason you want the tires rotated and balanced.

For the alignment and the rotate and balance warranty pays better than customer pay. If they have half a brain they will be more than happy to complete the services you request.

If you have any problems, just post here. I'll do my best to help you out. :)

#18 ·
ilovetocamp said:
I had mine in for pulling to the left last Friday. They confirmed it and did a 4 wheel alignment but it is still pulling to the left. Can it be something else or did they mess up on the alignment? :sosad:
Alignments usually don't cause the car to pull. It's usually a tire causing the pull.

Are you sure the car isn't just responding to ruts in the road or the tilt of the road?

You can try rotating the front tires side to side. If it pulls the other way the cause is the tire to the side of the pull.

They should have adjusted the tire pressures when they performed the alignment but make sure the tires have equal pressure.

#19 ·
Thanks TRD, When I had it in last week the tech verified it was pulling to the left, the did thse 4 wheel alignment, switch the left and right front tires and checked the air pressure.

I really don't think it's the roads because it seems to do it on all different types of roads. I even had a friend drive it without telling the problem to see how he liked the way it drives and he thought it drove great but was pulling to the left. I really wished they had fixed it the 1st time because when I leave the car at the dealer I have to pay $25 for a rental.

I read on another thread that someone had to have their rotors replaced as well as the alignment. Have you heard of any problems like that?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your posts

#20 ·
ilovetocamp said:
Thanks TRD, When I had it in last week the tech verified it was pulling to the left, the did thse 4 wheel alignment, switch the left and right front tires and checked the air pressure.

I really don't think it's the roads because it seems to do it on all different types of roads. I even had a friend drive it without telling the problem to see how he liked the way it drives and he thought it drove great but was pulling to the left. I really wished they had fixed it the 1st time because when I leave the car at the dealer I have to pay $25 for a rental.

I read on another thread that someone had to have their rotors replaced as well as the alignment. Have you heard of any problems like that?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your posts
It would be much more helpful if you would state what vehicle you are driving.

Cross rotating the tires and doing and alignment should have taken care of the problem.

Rotors will have nothing to do with it.

Your car may have a TSB but then again, I have no idea what you're driving.

Having your year and model in your sig would be helpful. ;)

#21 ·
I will add it to my sig later but I am driving a 2007 Camry XLE with about 8,000 miles on it but it has had the problem since new. I just got it the day before Christmas so it still seems new to me. I drive about a 125 miles a day and love the car but it would be easier to drive if it didn't pull. It rides great, gets great mileage, and quiet inside. I had a 2005 Montego before that spent more time in the shop than on the road so I feel this is a minor inconveinence but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#23 ·
ilovetocamp said:
I will add it to my sig later but I am driving a 2007 Camry XLE with about 8,000 miles on it but it has had the problem since new. I just got it the day before Christmas so it still seems new to me. I drive about a 125 miles a day and love the car but it would be easier to drive if it didn't pull. It rides great, gets great mileage, and quiet inside. I had a 2005 Montego before that spent more time in the shop than on the road so I feel this is a minor inconveinence but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not aware of any bulletins for a 2007.

Drive your vehicle on flat concrete (overpass) and see if it still pulls. If not your car is just following road crown which is normal.

If it still pulls you need to bring it back to the dealer and have them recheck their work and verify the problem with you in the car.

Good luck.

#24 ·
So, is this pull to the road crown normal with 2007 Camry?
I'm having this very same problem with my XLE V6. My dealer just did a full 4 wheel alignment and it did not fix the problem. Delaer keeps telling me that this is "normal". I do a lot of highway travel and it just doesn't feel natural. My steering wheel has to point to 11 o'clock position if I'm in the outside lane (slow lane) or 1 o'clock position if I'm in the inside lane (fast lane). If I straighted the steering wheel then it immediately starts drifting into the next lane. I've owned Accords, Civic SIs, Maxima, Mazda 3, BMW 3and a Audi A6 before but I've never had this problem before? Is this something I'm gonna have to live with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.