2az-fe performance parts - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
"JESTER"

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View cvjester's Photo Gallery
2az-fe performance parts

I know the 2az-fe in the scion has performance parts...they should fit the 2az-fe in the 2003 camry right? same engine, besides space issues on some parts, is there a difference? like pulleys on a scion should fit the camry right? ...
cvjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View jorallo's Photo Gallery
the pulley works i haven't had issues with it i think the guy with the maroon camry with the rsx conversion headlights also has the same pulley i actually got the idea from one of his pictures it works..someone posted an aftermarket turbo also ..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247692
jorallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
2006 Camry Base

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View whiteboy's Photo Gallery
jorallo this about the lightweight pulley for tc ? wondering if you have it in that case and if you've had any problems with it concerning the vibrations causing probs with bearings etc overtime...lemme know
whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
One with the force

View Webb26's Photo Gallery
^ that would be whitechocolate...and its salsa red paint with camry head lamps with reto'd tsx projectors. He has the 2nd gen ZPI underdrive pulley...he had nothing but praises. You might want to do a search...since there was a review on this pulley.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

View TRD VVTi's Photo Gallery
Personally, I think installing that pulley is stupid. You can rev the motor a slight bit faster and at the same time cause harmful vibrations to the crankshaft and related componants.

Toyota didn't spend the extra money for a damper/balancer for no reason. If they could have saved money by installing a regular pulley, they would have.

You won't be able to feel the crankshaft vibrations but I assure you that the engine does.

It's not a smart move.

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR
TRD VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
HID/Retrofit Expert

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View white3ch0c0late's Photo Gallery
^Toyota didn't spend extra money for projector HIDs either. Toyota didn't spend extra money to just supply the car with an exhaust system. Toyota didn't spend extra money to put on performance brakes. We can go on all day with this. Toyota didn't spend extra money on all sorts of things. That doesn't mean you can't go in and change it.

In the end, the pulley won't harm the engine during the engine's useful life. Sure, the vibration damper is gone, but the vibration are very minimal. I've never heard of any instances of anyone's engine ever being harmed by a pulley. There are always "horror stories", with no source as a backup.

Glaring blue HID bulbs are NOT classy, and don't make your car look nice, no matter what that kid in the Civic told you.

Last edited by white3ch0c0late; 06-09-2007 at 12:29 PM.
white3ch0c0late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by white3ch0c0late
^Toyota didn't spend extra money for projector HIDs either. Toyota didn't spend extra money to just supply the car with an exhaust system. Toyota didn't spend extra money to put on performance brakes. We can go on all day with this. Toyota didn't spend extra money on all sorts of things. That doesn't mean you can't go in and change it.

In the end, the pulley won't harm the engine during the engine's useful life. Sure, the vibration damper is gone, but the vibration are very minimal. I've never heard of any instances of anyone's engine ever being harmed by a pulley. There are always "horror stories", with no source as a backup.
Toyota didn't install Projector HIDs. If they did, there would be a seperate charge (see HID option on Sienna van and Prius). Toyota does put an exhaust system on every car. It's not a performance car, nobody buys Camry's for that purpose. Be realistic with the comparisons.

A damper or balancer is a MUST. That's why Toyota and every other manufacturer installs them. Putting a regular pulley on in place of a balancer/damper isn't smart and is potentially harmful to the engine.

Bad tech advice gets passed along all the time. That's one of the things right there. As any reputable engine builder and you will get the facts. Do some research instead of passing on bad information just because you put one on your car.

This thread shoots down your theory: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

http://inderscience.metapress.com/ap...lts,1:110896,1

This one also kills your theory: http://inderscience.metapress.com/ap...lts,1:110896,1

Last edited by TRD VVTi; 06-09-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Cool Guy

View Super Kaioken's Photo Gallery
as for performance parts....all i could think of for the 2AZ is the pulley. they do make a TRD muffler for the Gen5 but i wouldn't call it so much of a performance part. It sounds nice that's all.

Get rid of the Spare and jack. That is a simple thing you could do. Not much else out there...oh Rear sway bar! TRD strut tower bar. Those are some difference makers in handling. Also some springs!.

1. Springs
2. TRD RSB
3. TRD Strut Tower Bar
4. Spare and Jack
5. TRD muffler cuz it sounds real nice
6. The Pulley
7. Injen Short Ram Intake- Sounds nice too. dunno about performance...

That's all i could name, all of that up there should cost you more than $1000 i believe. The TRD muffler is $400? whoa!

---------------------------
-Custom 2.5in Cat-back Exhaust + Borla Muffler + Weapon R Dragon Intake + TRD Rear Sway Bar + TRD Springs + TRD Front Strut Brace

Last edited by Super Kaioken; 06-09-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Super Kaioken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
2006 Camry Base

View whiteboy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb26
^ that would be whitechocolate...and its salsa red paint with camry head lamps with reto'd tsx projectors. He has the 2nd gen ZPI underdrive pulley...he had nothing but praises. You might want to do a search...since there was a review on this pulley.
I know he has one, I think everyone does, I'm looking for more people haha, but ya think I'll do more research on this myself because opinions are going every which way right now

btw guys don't get too agressive isn't this for the greater good of everyone
maybe I'm just too optimistic heh

well it was a good day for me either way went to the grappone scion event today, even though they didn't let me enter the competition 'cause I didn't have a scion I still ended up winning a free dyno heh
ps. my stock I4 is only 125hp at the wheels heh time to do some modding, gotta look into a catback exaust I'm guessing and some headers there goes some more $$$

either way thanks for the input guys
whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
HID/Retrofit Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi
Toyota didn't install Projector HIDs. If they did, there would be a seperate charge (see HID option on Sienna van and Prius). Toyota does put an exhaust system on every car. It's not a performance car, nobody buys Camry's for that purpose. Be realistic with the comparisons.

A damper or balancer is a MUST. That's why Toyota and every other manufacturer installs them. Putting a regular pulley on in place of a balancer/damper isn't smart and is potentially harmful to the engine.

Bad tech advice gets passed along all the time. That's one of the things right there. As any reputable engine builder and you will get the facts. Do some research instead of passing on bad information just because you put one on your car.

This thread shoots down your theory: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

http://inderscience.metapress.com/ap...lts,1:110896,1

This one also kills your theory: http://inderscience.metapress.com/ap...lts,1:110896,1
You still provided no practical evidence! This is all just theory. Again, I've never heard of anyone truly having any problems as a result of a pulley.

Glaring blue HID bulbs are NOT classy, and don't make your car look nice, no matter what that kid in the Civic told you.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Gen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by white3ch0c0late
You still provided no practical evidence! This is all just theory. Again, I've never heard of anyone truly having any problems as a result of a pulley.
Yeah, it's a "theory" so auto manufacturers piss away ass loads of money to put dampers and balancers on cars.

You like yours and that's great.

That FACTS are that it's not good for the engine.

I'm simply stating that you shouldn't tell people that it's OK - it's NOT.

I know that you have an TN e-penis post rating over 3,000 and you're an HID expert but you really don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry if that upsets you, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but people don't need to read that garbage and potentially damage their cars. Like I said, do some research.

I replaced the damper on my Formula. The new one wasn't lighter and wasn't underdriven. It does however control/dampen vibration in all RPM ranges. I spent roughly $400 for that. I would bet that's one of the reasons that I can race my car and drive the hell out of it for 240,000 miles and still have the original motor.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
HID/Retrofit Expert

Whatever, dude. There are so many theories flying around about anything and everything that I'll take practical data over theory any day. And the only practical data on this that you will find is that no one has had any problems.

You're not gonna sway me on this one, guy. I'm not defending it because I'm upset. I'm defending it because you shoot it down with theory, not practical data. I can shoot all sorts of crap down with theory.

And until, out of the many many people that I personally know that have lightweight pulleys, one of these people develop any kind of problem from it, I will continue to tell people that its ok. I've known guys that have had lightweight pulleys on their Mustangs and have gone over the 200k mark just fine. So the fact that you spent all that money and whatever isn't impressive.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
~

View tom5681's Photo Gallery
You just had to start talking about the e-penis, didn't you?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
aka DA PROBLEM!

View KILRCAM's Photo Gallery
Just saying HI!
KILRCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
&quot;JESTER&quot;

View cvjester's Photo Gallery
ok..,thanks for the info...but im talk'n more then pulleys. what about the nology wires on the 05 2az scion should fit an 03 camry 2az...and the super charger on the 05 scion to the 03 cam? its the same engine so there shouldnt be a problem right...you can look up headers for a 2az scion but nothing comes up when looking for them on the camry..they should fit to except maybe some small config issues..im thinking outside of the box..is anyone a certified toyota mechanic that can answer these questions?

Last edited by cvjester; 06-10-2007 at 04:14 AM.
cvjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)