Best way to use Ipod with Aux. Port? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-16-2007, 04:09 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 Best way to use Ipod with Aux. Port?

I am shopping for cables to connect my wifes and my ipods to a Camry LE V6 with the regular stock stereo.

I have been told of how to do this, by using a cable that is male on both sides, plugging one end into the aux. port in the compartment under the stereo and the other end of the cable into the headphone port on the ipod.

I have also been told of a better way to do this is by using the bottom port on the ipod (the big port on the bottom of the ipod for docking and what not) using a cable that connects to this port on one end and plugs into the aux. port on the other. However, then it is not possible to charge the ipod when using it.

We are not interested in doing a full integration of the ipod to the stereo (to use the stereo to control the ipod). We just want to keep it simple, with quality.

I wish they made cable that connected through the dociking port to the camry aux port, and still could charge the ipod (is there a product?)

Does anyone have any suggestions of the best cable to buy, the headphone port to aux, or the docking port to aux. port?

Thanks in advance for the tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 PM
2GR FTW

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Well the cable that connects the AUX to the Ipod headphone jack is just a 3.5mm cable. That should be the best quality because it's coming right out of your headphones and using the car speakers.

I'd say just visit www.crutchfield.com or go into a best buy store, they should have products that have both the 3.5mm cable, around $13, and have a charger as well.

2007 Toyota Camry SE 2GR-FE
Retrofit TSX HID Projectors | TRD Lowering Springs | Smoked LED Tails | Custom Apexi WS2 Catback Exhaust | BlueBatMobile Eyelids| UR Front Strut Bar | UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar | K&N Short Ram Intake| Kenwood DNX8120 In-dash | Lexus IS350 18" Wheels | Toyota Japan JDM Vent Visors | IS-F Black Leather Shift Knob

Other cars: F20C (AP1) | 2JZ-GE (JCE10)

#3 Old 06-16-2007, 06:21 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Is the sound good going from the headphone port to the aux. port on the Camry? Has anyone used the cables that go from the docking port on the ipod to the aux port on the Camry? I just wonder which has better sound.
#4 Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmutkelaw
I am shopping for cables to connect my wifes and my ipods to a Camry LE V6 with the regular stock stereo.

I have been told of how to do this, by using a cable that is male on both sides, plugging one end into the aux. port in the compartment under the stereo and the other end of the cable into the headphone port on the ipod.

I have also been told of a better way to do this is by using the bottom port on the ipod (the big port on the bottom of the ipod for docking and what not) using a cable that connects to this port on one end and plugs into the aux. port on the other. However, then it is not possible to charge the ipod when using it.

We are not interested in doing a full integration of the ipod to the stereo (to use the stereo to control the ipod). We just want to keep it simple, with quality.

I wish they made cable that connected through the dociking port to the camry aux port, and still could charge the ipod (is there a product?)

Does anyone have any suggestions of the best cable to buy, the headphone port to aux, or the docking port to aux. port?

Thanks in advance for the tips!
visit www.vaistech.com

they have a product called the SoundLinQ SLI .... which allows you to add an AUX input to the factory radio or NAV system, which is specifically for the iPod. This gives the clearest soudn possible as an input from the iPod, and allows the ipod to charge as well.

In addition to what I mentioned above, you can control the iPod with the factory raio/NAV screen, and even with the steering wheel controls!

They are still in development of another product, which I'm waiting for ... it will add 2 inputs. One is dedicated to the iPod, the other is an audio/video input, which will allow me to add DVD to my NAV screen, so I can wathc movies on the screen without cutting wires, etc. to allow DVD while vehicle is in motion!

I believe the cost is $199 or something around that.

Forget using the factory input, as all input through that port is shitty, and evan a ground loop isolator doesn't solve the buzzing issue!
#5 Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Official TN Member

none of those. go out and buy your standard mini to mini cable at a radio shack or some electronics store (should cost no more than $5 bucks). then go out and get an ipod dock. they have tiny ones instead of the dock stand version that apple sells and it only goes for $30 bucks or so. that way you get crisp aux out sound of your ipod without any equalizing you might use on your ipod and you don't have to worry about volume from the ipod as it is a straight auxiliary output. all in all, should cost you no more than $50 bucks after shipping and tax and what not.
#6 Old 06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Official TN Member

basically you buy this....

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

and you buy one mini cable and you're good to go.
#7 Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Official TN Member

UK

The port on the bottom of the ipod is a data port - the output is fixed volume and you can charge through it.

In car purposes, these get used when you are trying to transfer control to the stereo.

the headphone jack gives out the same quality of sound, but doesn't overrule the ipods own volume control. this is the recommended method if you don't care about control of the ipod, as it's the cheapest!
#8 Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
basically you buy this....

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

and you buy one mini cable and you're good to go.

So, this pocketdock referenced above charges the Ipod when plugged into the mini cable and connected to the aux. port on the Camry? Or do I need to charge it using the USB port on the pocket dock, thru the cars cigarette lighter port?

thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by wmutkelaw; 06-16-2007 at 08:57 PM.
#9 Old 06-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Official TN Member

you would have to use a cigarette lighter port as the aux port on both the camry and the pocketdock are for aux audio only.
#10 Old 06-16-2007, 09:10 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
you would have to use a cigarette lighter port as the aux port on both the camry and the pocketdock are for aux audio only.
what about this product http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/smartcharge/

it looks like it connects to the docking port on the ipod, and charges, and has a mini cord out for the male to male connetor to be inserted into the aux. port on the Camry.

Thanks for the site...they have a lot of interesting products!
#11 Old 06-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Official TN Member

looks good! although it does say you can't use it with a 3g ipod...
#12 Old 06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
looks good! although it does say you can't use it with a 3g ipod...
We have a 2 gb Nano and an 80 gb Ipod Video, so I think we are safe. Thanks for all of your help! Their products look great.
#13 Old 06-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

I use a black Belkin Auto Kit charger with an integrated 3.5mm jack built right in and a $5 1ft Radio Shack 3.5mm cable. One side of the cable goes into the Belkin and the other side goes into the factory AUX input. Most probably never notice it, but on the passsenger side there is a pass through from the big center pocket to the usesless slot near your knees. My iPod is always within an arm's length in one of the cup holder slots, and I can control everything without having to rely on the stock radio screen. I considered getting a USA Spec box that displays text on the factory radio, but my solution works just fine (well almost...see below).

Other than the usual ground loop problem (which will be solved when my PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter arrives this week...here's the link for one : http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tm4FGZ3...AC+Ground+Loop), my Belkin charges the iPod and plays the music through the bottom digital port, not the headphone jack. Simple yet effective.
#14 Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I think I might try out the noise filter as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding whether I will need to buy the type of outlet that has the choice of setting to help the audio? The Griffin one has a switch, whereas the Sendstation one does not. I am leaning towards the Sendstation smartcharger.

any help would be appreciated!

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)