Toyota Nation Forum banner

questions for anyone with Toyota Remote Engine Start for 2007 Camry

14K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  smnagrom2010 
#1 · (Edited)
My Camry has the Toyota factory security system. I also plan on adding the Toyota
Remote Engine Start system. Got a few question.... Thanks for helping!

Question 1: how much does it cost to have it installed by a Toyota delership?

Question 2: once the engine is started, do I simply use the key or remote to get into the car, insert the key and drive off, or do I have to turn it off and restart again?

Question 3: if I remote start the engine, how long before the engine will shut off if I don't enter the car?

Question 4: is there a seperate remote for the remote engine start?

#2 ·
germandebbie said:
My Camry has the Toyota factory security system. I also plan on adding the Toyota
Remote Engine Start system. Got a few question.... Thanks for helping!

Dealer in Ohio charged me 200.00 $ labor only, stater was 345.00, hood switch was 60.00.

Question 2: once the engine is started, do I simply use the key or remote to get into the car, insert the key and drive off, or do I have to turn it off and restart again?

Yes, remote or key to open, as soon as you open the door the starter will deactivate and you will need to restart the car with the key.

Question 3: if I remote start the engine, how long before the engine will shut off if I don't enter the car?

10 minutes.

No it's integrated in the key fob.

#3 · (Edited)
69Stang said:
No it's integrated in the key fob.
and if Toyota does the install,you will have to start it again.
The car shuts down when unlocking and I think the car will run 15 minutes and shut down.

#4 ·
Joe B said:
and if Toyota does the install,you will have to start it again.
The car shuts down when unlocking and I think the car will run 15 minutes before and shut down.

Runs for 10 minutes and you can re start it for another 10 minutes, 20 minute max.
remote is only good for 80 ft:confused: and the start procedure is a pain in the butt but atleast I have warranty. I hate cold Canadian winters.

#5 ·
69Stang said:
Runs for 10 minutes and you can re start it for another 10 minutes, 20 minute max.
remote is only good for 80 ft:confused: and the start procedure is a pain in the butt but atleast I have warranty. I hate cold Canadian winters.
Thanks.
Do you have push button start?

Toyota must have just started the cutoff when inlocking recently.
We had a '05 Corolla with Toyota dealer installed remore start and you could unlock,get in,insert the key and go.
Stepping on the brakew would cause the engine to shut down.
A b\much better set up.

#6 ·
no push button, I have the SE V6. There's a couple of models it won't work with, the push button and the CE model........ I think.

#7 ·
69Stang said:

Thanks! 10 minutes is plenty long for my needs. However, I'm still confused about
why the car will shut off if you unlock the doors.

I rented a '06 or '07 Chevy Impala from Avis(or was it National?) at LAX airport last year.
I had it for about two weeks and loved its factory remote start system. It has a button
on the remote dedicated to engine start. Once started, the engine will run, but the doors
remain locked. When I unlock the doors with the remote, the engine will continue to run,
but it is not possible to drive off. The steering wheel and the gearshift remain locked.
(for safety, I presume) Once the key is inserted and turned to "on" position, the steering
wheel and gearshift are unlocked, so car can then be driven off....

Does the Toyota system work like that? :)

Thanks! :)

#8 · (Edited)
The Toyota factory system (I have in my SE V6) takes a two press/hold of thelock button on the keyfob to start the ignition. Unlocking the car with the key or the fob will cut the motor as will putting the key in the ignition (if you were in the car while it is running).

It a safety (nanny) and security feature. I use it less than I thought I would because of this...but I am glad I got it for resale value (it will be a check box I can fill in when making a reslae valuation/trade in analysis).

As for the 80 ft range comment...why in god's name would you want to start it from further away? Give me a practical application? Oh, and BTW...you can increase the range using the chin trick (uses your body as an antenna).

#9 ·
Why would it kill the engine when you get in? That is absolutely pointless! So you basically have to start it twice, thus causing useless wear and tear on your starter. What a waste!!!

#10 ·
As for the 80 ft range comment...why in god's name would you want to start it from further away? Give me a practical application? Oh, and BTW...you can increase the range using the chin trick (uses your body as an antenna).[/quote]

How about if you live on 20th floor apartment :lol:

chin trick.....please elaborate, never heard of that.

#11 ·
69Stang said:
no push button, I have the SE V6. There's a couple of models it won't work with, the push button and the CE model........ I think.

I have the push button start with Toyota installed remote start.:)

#13 ·
wireless said:
As for the 80 ft range comment...why in god's name would you want to start it from further away? Give me a practical application? Oh, and BTW...you can increase the range using the chin trick (uses your body as an antenna).
Is the 80 ft range measured outdoors in an open area? If the car is parked outside in the driveway or street and you are inside a building, even if it's a single family dwelling, the house will attenuate the signal and the effective range will be much shorter.

I have a Python security system with remote start capability but I chose not to hook up the remote start for safety reasons. The effective range of my remote is over 500 ft outdoors and about 100-200ft from indoors (with the car sitting outside) depending on how the building is constructed. Another benefit to the Python system is that it gives me confirmation that the car did the command I issued. The downside is that the remote uses a AAA alkaline cell that lasts about 2 months at which point it only puts out 1.0 V.

#15 ·
My car starter only works less than 10 ft at my workplace (copper mesh grounding) and I only use it in the winter moring to warm up the car for my children (wear and tear is less important).
BTW, I paid invoice price of $365 installed at delivery.

#16 ·
#17 ·
s0uthstar85 said:
That's not the 'chin trick'

The chin trick will boost your effective range by about 75%-100% (depending on the skeletal size of your body). You hold the end of your remote to the large solid surface of your chin when you press the button(s). The radio wave then will use your skeleton as an additional antenna since the average body is close to being a harmonic of the wavelength of the frequencies used in most remotes.

Here is a better explanation:
http://www.exn.ca/mindbender/default.asp?id=23

#19 ·
wireless said:
That's not the 'chin trick'

The chin trick will boost your effective range by about 75%-100% (depending on the skeletal size of your body). You hold the end of your remote to the large solid surface of your chin when you press the button(s). The radio wave then will use your skeleton as an additional antenna since the average body is close to being a harmonic of the wavelength of the frequencies used in most remotes.

Here is a better explanation:
http://www.exn.ca/mindbender/default.asp?id=23
You're right, I posted the wrong video... My bad

#20 ·
I just want to clarify one question-- Can you remote start your car from inside your home, and get in it and drive off? Or do you have to get in it and start it a second time?

Sorry I am slow.

#21 ·
JoeS_07SE said:
I just want to clarify one question-- Can you remote start your car from inside your home, and get in it and drive off? Or do you have to get in it and start it a second time?

Sorry I am slow.
Correct, you have to get in it and start it a second time.

#22 ·
germandebbie said:
I don't know ... it came factory installed from the Kentucky plant into my car

germandebbie said:
I have smart key ... I just walk up to the door, and grab the handle to get in. Once I grab the handle the engine shuts off, and I have to start the car like normal ... depress brake pedal & press start button.

germandebbie said:
It runs for 15 minutes I believe

germandebbie said:
No, it is integrated into my smart key

#23 ·
69Stang said:
Correct, you have to get in it and start it a second time.
Thank You! Toyota Remote Start is no longer on my shopping list.

#24 ·
JoeS_07SE said:
Thank You! Toyota Remote Start is no longer on my shopping list.

Okay, let me get this straight... a cheap Chevy Impala rental car can have factory
remote smart that's better designed than a Toyota Camry? :(

Why can't Toyota just design its remote start system like the Chevy's? Chevys system
will let you start the engine and open the doors, but it locks down the gearshift and
steering wheel, until you physically insert the key into the ignition. And no second restart
required..... Does anyone else feel that the Chevy design makes more sense?

Okay, so I guess Toyota's own remote start system is off my list.... any aftermarket
remote start system that's worth considering? Thanks for any suggestions!

:)

#25 ·
wireless said:
You're very happy with yourself today, Joe. Pretty proud of the push button, eh? :D

I don't know if I'm very happy today or proud of Smart Key.
I was just telling 69Stang that you can have remote start with Smart Key and with smart Key it just may not be a good idea to add a piece of metall to the antenna.
The technology is different as there are sensors in the doors and trunk.

As far as the push button start feature itself.
It's no biggie.
I still reach for keys most of the time because the RAV4 doesn't have it and it's a pain in the ass when I'm washing or working on the car because if I have the key on me and washing around the car,the doors unlock and lock.
I can't carry the keyfob.

#26 ·
germandebbie said:
Okay, let me get this straight... a cheap Chevy Impala rental car can have factory
remote smart that's better designed than a Toyota Camry? :(

Why can't Toyota just design its remote start system like the Chevy's? Chevys system
will let you start the engine and open the doors, but it locks down the gearshift and
steering wheel, until you physically insert the key into the ignition. And no second restart
required..... Does anyone else feel that the Chevy design makes more sense?

Okay, so I guess Toyota's own remote start system is off my list.... any aftermarket
remote start system that's worth considering? Thanks for any suggestions!

:)
I feel the same way, I would buy it if it operated as the Chevy one does. Especially for the price, and you have to start the damn thing twice everytime. WTF!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.