Toyota Nation Forum banner

08 Accord EXL-V6 vs Camry SE V6

11K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  krispykreme 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new daily driver. I recently gave my mother in law my M45 and don't want drive my other car to work. So I have narrowed my choice to 08 Accord EXL-V6 with Navi and Camry SE V6 with navi. Both are well equipped for $30k. I was looking for a car that handled well and also smooth enough for daily commute.

My first choice was Accord V6, since it would probably be close enough to a BMW that I won't hate the way it drive.

08 Accord EXL-V6.

Engine- this engine is noisy. The power delivery is not smooth. Low end torque is realtive poor. The V6 feels very weak at low end. Couple with poor throttle response, the accord V6 feels slow.

Transmission- I never liked Honda's automatic. The 5 speed is unimpressive. Noisy and does not shift smooth. The engine and transmission does not work well.

Interior- The dash material plastic is very poor in quality. The dash is way too busy with so many buttons. The leather seat material is okay.

My biggest gripe is with the driver seat. The seat is too wide and does not offer good waist support. Its so uncomfortable.

One big positive is that the car is very roomy.

Steering and ride- Like typical honda, the steering response is good although a little bit unlinear (too much boost at higher speed). Ride is a little too soft for me. But not bad for a family sedan.

Handling- Bodyroll is significant on the accord. But overall for a family car it is good. It's not as nimble or as fun to drive as the TL. But not too bad.

Overall impression before driving the Camry SE, was the accord is a decent car with above average handling. It does not handle like a big car (and accord is big), but its also not that nimble. I thought the Accord will probably be my choice, and probably would have bought one if they had a EXL-V6 with Navi in stock.

Since there is no EXL-V6 with navi in stock, I decided that I should still go check out the camry. I wasn't expecting much from the camry, given that all the camry that I previously are so soft and bubbly. All of the lexus that I have driven at taste of lexus events really left me unimpressed with the way toyota vehicle handles. But I was pleasantly suprised with the camry.

08 Camry SE V6-

Engine- compare to the rough and loud V6 in the accord. The camry V6 is ultra smooth and quiet. The throttle response is much better than honda. One of the biggest difference between the two, is that the Camry V6 feels so much stronger at low end.

Transmission- again a huge difference. The Camry 6 speed matches the engine much better than Accord's 5 speed. Its quiet and smooth. It really makes the car feels much faster.

This engine and transmission combination is significantly better than the combination in the accord.

Interior- the dash of the camry is made of the same cheap plastic material. I really did not like the all black dash in the SE. One thing that I really liked is the dash is very clean with very few button as compare to the accord.

The seat on the SE is really well designed. It really hugs the driver with good waist support. The leather seat also feels better than the accord.

Steering response and ride- This is the biggest area of suprise. The camry SE steering response is excellent and very linear. It felt like a good german car would. The ride is firmer than the Accord and I really like it.

Handling- Another bigh suprise for me. The bodyroll on the camry is less noticeable than the Accord. It really handle very well. The camry feels so much more nimbler than the Accord. This camry feels it can do a lot more than the accord. This car is simply more fun to drive than the Accord.

After driving the Camry, I am so glad that the honda dealer did not have the accord i wanted in stock. Because I would have made a huge mistake.

I am going to see what kind of deal I can get tomorrow on the camry. Hopefully I will pickup my new commuter tomorrow.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great write-up. Loving hearing these comparisons people make by actually visiting dealerships themselves.

I was in the same position you were in a few months ago, considering the Camry or waiting for the new Accords to be released. After some spy and concept photos, the exterior design of the Accord is definitely not all that great.

I've definitely seen reviews saying the '08 Accord's engine is loud. The SE does respond very well and has very little body roll, it can be improved with lowering springs if desired.

I'd say your definitely making a great decision by sticking with the '08 Camry, but then that's coming from an '07 Camry owner =).

#6 ·
LOL you went to look at another car just because the first one didn't offer a nav system? First of all, NAV is for the directionally-impaired. Also for those who like to brag (like stupid iPoood owners).

I had the money to buy nav from day 1 in the Camry. I still have money to buy it today. I NEVER will buy nav. :thumbdown

#7 · (Edited)
... First of all, NAV is for the directionally-impaired. Also for those who like to brag (like stupid iPoood owners).

I had the money to buy nav from day 1 in the Camry. I still have money to buy it today. I NEVER will buy nav. :thumbdown
You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that but don't make sweeping generalizations when doing so. I specifically went out to buy a vehicle that had factory NAV and wouldn't consider anything that did not (i.e. 2006/07 Hyundai Sonata). It was a MUST HAVE in my next car. Ponder this...

So no one ever ventures somewhere in their car that they don't know very well and don't have a map to view while moving? Even someone who is quite directionally advanced (as in navigator skills).

No one can be concerned that NAV adds to resale when it's OEM?

:cool:

#9 ·
It is most probably true. The man went to survey several competing sedans within the same segment. When you're comparing apples to apples, differences really stand out right.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry about the delay. I have decided on the Camry. I have worked out a price and just waiting for them to get the color i wanted (aloe green metalic).

I did not like the silver nor the blue they have in stock. I should have it by end of this week.

To clarify. I had narrow down to Accord and Camry. I simply stopped at Honda dealer first. I was impressed enough by the Accord initially that I was going to drop the camry without even driving it. But they did not have a EXL-V6 navi in stock, so I had a little time to kill and went to Toyota dealer to make sure that i made right decision to go with Accord.

But my mind was changed after driving the camry SE.

Navigation is a must for me. It's the biggest marriage saver there is. I have navi on all my cars and would not own a car without it. I don't like tom tom or garmin, they are not as easy to use as factory one.

I will post picture when I pick up the car by the end of the week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.