valve adjustment cost - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen5 valve adjustment cost

my 2004 camry 4 cylinder has been making tick tick sound and i wanted to bring it to the dealers to have a valve adjustment. It has 43k miles in it. How much will it cost? Like estimation or should i follow the manual to do it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Official TN Member

You sure the noise isnt from something else? 40K is way to early to be needing a valve adjustment. You might want to get it checked out first to try and pinpoint the noise.

--Shawn

03 Camry LE
97 Lincoln MarkVIII LSC
67 Mustang
#3 Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 AM
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The valves aren't adjustable.

Rather than getting something that isn't needed you should probably find out where the noise is coming from.

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR
#4 Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
2010 Camry SE V6

the 2AZ makes a tick noise. Thats just one of the characteristics that we I4 drivers learn to live with. is this the noise? http://youtube.com/watch?v=VU8OyMq78tg

Thanks netforcer for the awsome sig! You da man!
Quote:
Seatbelt! you're piloting a vehicle were dual vvt-i hitts harder then VTEC and the torquesteer can possibly snap your wrists

Last edited by BlackCamSe; 11-27-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
#5 Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi View Post

[snip].
The sticker on my hood underside in my 2005 2AZ has the valve clearances on it and that this is the only tune up adjustment. Why would they list a clearance if there was no adjustment. Does not make sense.

Jeff
#6 Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Sedan Life

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
the 2az-fe just generally makes a ticking noise....thats how the valvetrain of the engine sounds and you get used to it (i love the sound of my 2az).....post a clip of the noise, but id hazard a guess its just the normal sound of a healthy 2az

2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."

Last edited by CharmCityES; 11-27-2007 at 11:27 PM.
#7 Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
The 2AZ-FE engine uses a "shimless" valve lifter design, meaning it cannot be adjusted. However, the valve to lifter clearance CAN be adjusted by swapping out a lifter that is the correct size. According to the service manual, the lifter is available in 35 different sizes.

edit: www.camrymanuals.com, the 2AZ-FE file, it talks about this. (page12)

Last edited by 71Corolla; 11-27-2007 at 11:44 PM.
#8 Old 11-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Sedan Life

^^i knew that link was useful....thats why i submitted it as a sticky

"I'm the dude, man."
#9 Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 PM
2010 Camry SE V6

Gen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorCamrySE View Post
the 2az-fe just generally makes a ticking noise....thats how the valvetrain of the engine sounds and you get used to it (i love the sound of my 2az).....post a clip of the noise, but id hazard a guess its just the normal sound of a healthy 2az
i beat you to it.. look up before your post. lol

Quote:
Seatbelt! you're piloting a vehicle were dual vvt-i hitts harder then VTEC and the torquesteer can possibly snap your wrists
#10 Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Sedan Life

haha i didnt even notice camralon....i guess i kinda post without reading the other posts sometime
but yeah all the 4 cyl guys know how the engine sounds....and how theres no issue with it

"I'm the dude, man."
#11 Old 11-28-2007, 05:13 PM
2010 Camry SE V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorCamrySE View Post
haha i didnt even notice camralon....i guess i kinda post without reading the other posts sometime
but yeah all the 4 cyl guys know how the engine sounds....and how theres no issue with it
lol. yea

Quote:
#12 Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
ASE Master Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi View Post

Rather than getting something that isn't needed you should probably find out where the noise is coming from.
HaHa, I had to TRD:

2004 Toyota Camry L4-2.4L (2AZ-FE)

Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Valve Clearance Adjustments AdjustmentsVALVE CLEARANCE
ADJUSTMENT
  1. REMOVE FRONT WHEEL RH
  2. REMOVE FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL RH
  3. REMOVE ENGINE COVER SUB-ASSY NO.1
  4. REMOVE SPARK PLUG
  5. DISCONNECT VENTILATION HOSE
  6. DISCONNECT VENTILATION HOSE NO.2
  7. DISCONNECT ENGINE WIRE
  8. REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD COVER SUB-ASSY

a)Remove the bolt and disconnect the engine wire harness clamp.b)Remove the 8 bolts, 2 nuts, cylinder head cover and gasket.
  1. SET NO. 1 CYLINDER TO TDC/COMPRESSION

a)Turn the crankshaft pulley, and align its groove with timing mark 0 of the timing chain cover.b)Check that the timing marks of the camshaft timing gear and sprocket are aligned with the timing marks of bearing caps No. 1 and No. 2, as shown in the illustration.
  1. INSPECT VALVE CLEARANCE HINT: Inspect and adjust the valve clearance when the engine is cold.

a)Check only the valves indicated on the left.1)Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between each valve lifter and camshaft.2)Record valve clearance measurements that are out of the specified range. These measurements will be used later to determine the size of the adjustment shim to be installed.

b)Turn the crankshaft clockwise 1 revolution (360°) and set the No. 4 cylinder to TDC/compression.

c)Check only the valves indicated on the left.1)Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between each valve lifter and camshaft.2)Record valve clearance measurements that are out of the specified range. These measurements will be used later to determine the size of the adjustment shim to be installed.

Valve clearance (Cold)

1. ADJUST VALVE CLEARANCE NOTICE: Be sure not to turn the crankshaft without the chain tensioner.

a)Turn the crankshaft clockwise 1 revolution (360°) and set the No. 1 cylinder to the TDC/compression.b)Place paint marks on the timing chain and camshaft timing gear/sprocket.

c)Remove the 2 bolts and chain tensioner.

d)Remove the No. 2 camshaft.1)Fix the camshaft with a wrench and then loosen the sprocket bolt. NOTICE: Be careful not to damage the valve lifter.

2)Uniformly loosen and remove the No. 2 camshaft's 10 bearing cap bolts in the sequence shown in the illustration. Then remove the 5 bearing caps.

3)Raise the No. 2 camshaft and remove it. Then remove the sprocket bolt.4)Remove the camshaft timing sprocket and the timing chain from the No. 2 camshaft.5)Remove the camshaft timing sprocket from the timing chain.

e)Remove the camshaft.1)Uniformly loosen and remove the camshaft's 10 bearing cap bolts in the sequence shown in the illustration. Then remove the 5 bearing caps.2)Remove the camshaft.

f)Tie the timing chain with a string. NOTICE: Be careful not to drop anything inside the timing chain cover.

g)Remove the valve lifters.

h)Adjust the valve clearance.1)Using a micrometer, measure the thickness of the removed lifter.

2)Calculate the thickness of a new lifter so that the valve clearance comes within the specified value.

Valve clearance

3)Select a new lifter with a thickness as close as possible to the calculated values.

2013 Chevrolet Volt
2006 Lexus GS430(SOLD)
2001 Lexus IS300(SOLD)
2000 Celica GTS 6-Speed(SOLD)
2005 Lexus ES330(SOLD)
2002 Lexus ES300(SOLD)
2007 Camry SE V-6 Titanium(SOLD)
“My friends call me ‘The Cane.’ Even before I messed up my leg.” ~Dr. Gregory house
#13 Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM1284 View Post
HaHa, I had to TRD:
HaHa. Had to what? Show that they aren't adjustable?

From a maintenance standpoint, they aren't adjustable.

If you replace any of the valvetrain componants you will need to measure the clearance and install the correct lifter/shim if it's out of specification. There isn't any adjustment involved...

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR
#14 Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
ASE Master Technician

The shims do wear, as do the Cam lobes. It is good Preventative maintenance to check/adjust clearance at the least every 60-70k.

Per Toyota Maintenance intreval, Check you maintenance guide that came with your car, it should state the valve clearance check/adjustment in there.

2013 Chevrolet Volt
2006 Lexus GS430(SOLD)
2001 Lexus IS300(SOLD)
2000 Celica GTS 6-Speed(SOLD)
2005 Lexus ES330(SOLD)
2002 Lexus ES300(SOLD)
2007 Camry SE V-6 Titanium(SOLD)
“My friends call me ‘The Cane.’ Even before I messed up my leg.” ~Dr. Gregory house

Last edited by JSM1284; 11-28-2007 at 05:58 PM.
#15 Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
One with the force

Dont worry about light valve ticking, i have owned seven 4 cylinder cars and trucks and every single one has made this sound. It never affected the longevity of the engines in any way. As long as the valve clearance is within specs, it wont hurt anything. In fact, the valve to worry about is one you DONT hear as maybe it is too tight. I know the sound is a little unnerving to some but if you realize it is normal you will stop hearing it.

I think i'd let it tick, if the sound got too loud i might pull the cam cover and check the clearance myself. To do all the work shown in the post above, you might as well pull the head and do a valve job while you are at it if you are doing all that, thats what i would do.

Besides which, some mechanics dont know how to measure valve clearance, one time i took another car to a shop to have the valves adjusted, and when i got it back from them it wasnt running right. So i checked the clearances myself and EVERY SINGLE valve was adjusted too tight, some had NO clearance at all and would have burned in a few hundred miles. That is the last time i ever let somebody else adjust my valves.

Dont worry about the ticking, if it bothers you too much, check the valve clearance yourself. And if any are out of spec, then decide what to do. (Probably dont need to do anything to the valves and the car will run like a champ for 200,000 miles.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)