03 Camry Engine Noise at 2k rpm - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View dchen2003's Photo Gallery
03 Camry Engine Noise at 2k rpm

I have a 4-cylinder 03 camry with only 33k (I bought it brand new). The noise from the engine makes me wonder if I am driving a Toyota. I campared my care with my friend's 00 camry v6 with 160k and a 95 4-cylinder camry over 150k it is much noisier. I am very easy on the gas, but the I can hear the noise when the rpm goes above only 2k. Does anyone have the same situation? Does this due to the engine use timing chain?
dchen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
self-proclaimed geenyus

View jermyjerm's Photo Gallery
please describe the "noise"
jermyjerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Noise Description

Thank you for the quick response!

The noise is not something like detonation or something very acute. It is more like humming, it is similar to the normal nois you will hear under heavy acceleration but that happened at 2k rpm instead at 4k rpm or over.

Best Regards,
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
self-proclaimed geenyus

2AZ's are noisy,period.they rattle at idle,some people hear a detonation or pre-ignition-like sound (me included),but it sounds to me like youre hearing like an intake roar or something.possibly a consequence of the VVT-I system working its magic.Wait for more responses,the people here are intelligent and experienced and Im sure they will give you a better answer than I could.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

03 camry engine noise

Thank you very much for the information.

I only compared my car with some other camry's with different engines, so it might not be very objective. But you are exactly right, the noise sounds like coming from the intake. I used to run my car with a k&n filter(which may sounds louder) but it still very loud even after I switch the filter back to oem.

I would like to hear the opinion from the people who also owns 2AZFE!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
2010 Camry SE V6

Gameroom cash: $616824
View BlackCamSe's Photo Gallery
is this the noise? The 2AZ-FE is a noisy engine, as mentioned. IF this is the noise, its normal. Before my 08 with the v6, i had the 05 with the 2AZ
http://youtube.com/user/ITHINKICANFLYNO

Thanks netforcer for the awsome sig! You da man!
Quote:
Seatbelt! you're piloting a vehicle were dual vvt-i hitts harder then VTEC and the torquesteer can possibly snap your wrists
BlackCamSe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
씨발

Gameroom cash: $209800
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
View PRINCESS PEACH's Photo Gallery
most likely intake noise.

btw, we at TN are always helpful and generally respond really fast. If you need anything else with your car, you know where to look.

Do you need car parts?
AdvanceSpeedShop

I Am Parting Out: click!
Questions about your own stupidity?: PM NJERALD
PRINCESS PEACH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

03 camry engine noise

That's the noise I heard. Is there any way to bring down the noise? The noise keeps me driving under 2k rpm on my commute to school in the city driving.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
self-proclaimed geenyus

turn the round knob on the left side of the radio clockwise until satisfied.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
2010 Camry SE V6

Gameroom cash: $616824
View BlackCamSe's Photo Gallery
Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchen2003 View Post
That's the noise I heard. Is there any way to bring down the noise? The noise keeps me driving under 2k rpm on my commute to school in the city driving.
are you refering to the noise i posted? IF so then its a normal trait of the 2AZ.

Thanks netforcer for the awsome sig! You da man!
Quote:
Seatbelt! you're piloting a vehicle were dual vvt-i hitts harder then VTEC and the torquesteer can possibly snap your wrists
BlackCamSe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sedan Life

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View CharmCityES's Photo Gallery
my camry is normally pretty quiet to me, but i love the sounds of it
the 2az makes alot of noise generally speaking...the engine uses self adjusting valves that dont employ adjuster shims, and the camshafts act upon the valves through bucket tappets on each of the 16 valves...this makes a tapping noise at idle and at most RPM levels but it isnt a real loud noise...the 2az is chain driven, with the intake cam driving the exhuast cam and the VVT-i 4 vane device acting upon the intake cam to later timing by 50 degrees...the 2az also uses a large intake manifold and intake plenum with a high volume for maximum efficency and intake flow...the az engine makes quite a bit of intake noise, and thats most likely what youre hearing...the car also has kind of a quiet growl to it, but yuet again its just the engine functioning normally.

2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."
CharmCityES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

Awesome Forum

I have been to this forom for a few months, but it is my first time to post a message. This forum is awesome, I used to go to Edmunds.com, but the people here are much better and faster.

No comparision! Thanks folks!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
self-proclaimed geenyus

I know how to make your car seem whisper quiet.Ive got a couple of vids on car domain,same user name.I cant post a link due to the irresponsible nature of my driving.TN does not endorse reckless driving.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

View TRD VVTi's Photo Gallery
I agree that the noise you are talking about appears to be normal. A quick stop by the dealership can confirm that.

I can honestly say that the 2AZ-FE is the most complained about engine Toyota currently has available regarding engine noise. Complaints are common, but they are a great engine without any real common problems.

Having an engine that is a little bit noisy is much better than a perfectly quiet engine that frequently has problems in my opinion. For that reason I am perfectly content.

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR
TRD VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
ASE Master Technician

Gameroom cash: $266325
View JSM1284's Photo Gallery
Engine - Rattle Noise at Idle/Light AccelerationENGINE
EG018-04
REVISED
June 3, 2004
Title:
INTAKE MANIFOLD NOISE
Models:
'02 - '04 Camry (2AZ-FE) (Non-PZEV)
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
^October 27, 2005: Applicable Warranty has been updated to the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty.
^August 19, 2004: The Applicable Vehicles information has clarified that this TSB does NOT apply to PZEV vehicles.
^July 13, 2004: The Applicable Warranty information has been changed. Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.
Introduction
Some 2002 - 2004 model year Camry vehicles with the 2AZ-FE engine may experience the following condition:
A rattle noise from the engine area, most noticeable at idle or on light acceleration. The noise may be caused by the intake air as it flows through the intake manifold. The intake manifold has been modified to improve this condition.
Applicable Vehicles ^2002 - 2004 model year Camry vehicles equipped with 2AZ-FE engines (non-PZEV) produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Production Change Information

Warranty Information
Applicable Warranty:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. For California specification vehicles sold, registered, and operated in California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont, this repair is covered under the California Emission Warranty, which is 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Parts Information
Repair Procedure
1.Verify noise is from the intake manifold.
2.Replace the intake manifold following the instructions on the Toyota Technical Information System (TIS), 2002 - 2004 model year Camry Repair Manual: Engine Mechanical.
3.Verify that the noise is NOT present after repair.
2000 Celica GTS 6-Speed(SOLD)
2005 Lexus ES330(SOLD)
2002 Lexus ES300(SOLD)
2007 Camry SE V-6 Titanium(SOLD)
“My friends call me ‘The Cane.’ Even before I messed up my leg.” ~Dr. Gregory house
JSM1284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)