P0128 check engine light code - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View sufloyd's Photo Gallery
P0128 check engine light code

Hello,

I'm getting a P0128 code on my 2003 V4 Camry. Autozone diagnosis says it's either
a) coolant low level
b) sensor not working correctly
c) thermostat not working correctly.

As part of 90k mile check about 3500 miles ago, the mechanic replaced the coolant. I didn't check the coolant after he had replaced it but I just checked it today and it's about 1 inch below the full level. Is this normal coolant usage considering that it's been about 3500 miles and 3 months since it was last filled?

If the coolant level is okay, then how do I figure out if it's the sensor/thermostat?

Thanks,
Kunal
sufloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

View TRD VVTi's Photo Gallery
Gen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufloyd View Post
Hello,

I'm getting a P0128 code on my 2003 V4 Camry. Autozone diagnosis says it's either
a) coolant low level
b) sensor not working correctly
c) thermostat not working correctly.

As part of 90k mile check about 3500 miles ago, the mechanic replaced the coolant. I didn't check the coolant after he had replaced it but I just checked it today and it's about 1 inch below the full level. Is this normal coolant usage considering that it's been about 3500 miles and 3 months since it was last filled?

If the coolant level is okay, then how do I figure out if it's the sensor/thermostat?

Thanks,
Kunal
Code P0128 means that the coolant temperature is below the thermostat regulating temperature.

I doubt that you actually used coolant. I'm guessing that there was an air pocket in the system. Fill the coolant to the proper level and check for leaks. What is your engine/coolant temperature?

If the temperature is ACTUALLY low, you will need a new thermostat. If the temperature is ACTUALLY normal but the sensor shows it's low, you need a new sensor.

I'd start with filling the coolant up and clearing the code.

By the way. Your car is an I4 (inline 4 cylinder), not a V4.

Welcome to TN.

Here's cooling system link for you: http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen5/16_Cooling.pdf

EDIT: Note that the problem could be something else also. It could be a faulty ECM (computer), wiring, etc.

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Last edited by TRD VVTi; 04-01-2008 at 10:12 AM.
TRD VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
ASE Master Technician

Gameroom cash: $266325
View JSM1284's Photo Gallery
To add to TRD's explaination:

DTC P0128 COOLANT THERMOSTAT (COOLANT TEMPERATURE BELOW THERMOSTAT REGULATING TEMPERATURE)

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

DTC Detecting Condition

HINT:
This is the procedure of thermostat.

If the engine coolant temperature becomes less than 75 C (167 F) , it is abnormal.

If not due to the thermostat malfunction, it is abnormal.

Step 1 - 2
INSPECTION PROCEDURE

HINT: Read freeze frame data using the hand-held tester or the OBD II scan tool, as freeze frame data records the engine conditions when a malfunction is detected. When troubleshooting, it is useful for determining whether the vehicle was
2000 Celica GTS 6-Speed(SOLD)
2005 Lexus ES330(SOLD)
2002 Lexus ES300(SOLD)
2007 Camry SE V-6 Titanium(SOLD)
My friends call me The Cane. Even before I messed up my leg. ~Dr. Gregory house
JSM1284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Nad1370's Photo Gallery
Replace your T-stat and properly "burp" the system and you should be all good.
Nad1370 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View white07cam's Photo Gallery
unless it is the sensor or some other thing then he wasted time AND money...

2007 Super White CE 5-spd. Stock 4 Lyfe, well I have new driver side doors and side pillar.. are those mods?
As of March 1, another $2200 body shop bill due to deer attack..
white07cam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi View Post
Code P0128 means that the coolant temperature is below the thermostat regulating temperature.

I doubt that you actually used coolant. I'm guessing that there was an air pocket in the system. Fill the coolant to the proper level and check for leaks. What is your engine/coolant temperature?

If the temperature is ACTUALLY low, you will need a new thermostat. If the temperature is ACTUALLY normal but the sensor shows it's low, you need a new sensor.

I'd start with filling the coolant up and clearing the code.

By the way. Your car is an I4 (inline 4 cylinder), not a V4.

Welcome to TN.

Here's cooling system link for you: http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen5/16_Cooling.pdf

EDIT: Note that the problem could be something else also. It could be a faulty ECM (computer), wiring, etc.
Thanks for the tips. Basic question - how do I check the coolant temperature? As in, should I insert a thermometer in the radiator when the car has warmed up after a few minutes ? (but not after a long run, to prevent burns)
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gen5

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Basic question - how do I check the coolant temperature? As in, should I insert a thermometer in the radiator when the car has warmed up after a few minutes ? (but not after a long run, to prevent burns)
Checking the coolant temperature after a few minutes isn't going to do any good at all. After all, it takes quite a while for the cooling system to get hot.

What does your gauge read?

My Prizm (Corolla) had a coolant temp fault code and I noticed that the gauge was running lower than normal. I replaced the thermostat because of that and cured the problem.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi View Post
Checking the coolant temperature after a few minutes isn't going to do any good at all. After all, it takes quite a while for the cooling system to get hot.

What does your gauge read?

My Prizm (Corolla) had a coolant temp fault code and I noticed that the gauge was running lower than normal. I replaced the thermostat because of that and cured the problem.
Even after an hour's driving, the temperature gauge rises 2 notches up (and no more than that) from the C level. Does this mean it's likely a thermostat issue?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
'07 XLE

Gameroom cash: $283530
View njerald's Photo Gallery
Gen6

Quote:
Even after an hour's driving, the temperature gauge rises 2 notches up (and no more than that) from the C level. Does this mean it's likely a thermostat issue?
Yes, very likely as posted before.
njerald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njerald View Post
Yes, very likely as posted before.
+1

Unless of course, your coolant is so low that the temperature sending unit isn't reading correctly, or the sending unit itself is faulty.

There are still many different things that it could be, but I'm reasonably certain that your thermostat is causing the problem. Don't buy a cheap one. Just get it from the dealer. They're cheap enough anyways.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View heat_z0ne's Photo Gallery
I had P0128 and P0128 (pd) code on 2001 camry with only 55k miles, check temperature gauge shows low up to long time and when i drive in traffic was showing normal, decided to change thermostat with OEM, Got from dealer for $28 + $6 for seal. just open it to see thermostat ,is leaking from side. The shaft looks bend. Will tell you after 100 mil driving. cleared code with ODBII.

Last edited by heat_z0ne; 07-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
heat_z0ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)