60,000 mile maintenance suggestions - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen5 60,000 mile maintenance suggestions

2005 Camry LE 4cyl automatic... with 60,000 miles.

Iím having trouble following the maintenance manual and some of the intervals seem exceptionally long to me. I wanted to see what people in ďthe knowĒ would suggest regarding the 60000 mile maintenance interval. So far the car has had absolutely no work performed except for oil changes, air filters, wiper blades, and one set of new tires. Itís been really reliable and I want to keep it that way.

90% of the 60K miles are freeway.

Which of the following items would you recommend be performed at 60K?
  • Plugs replaced?
  • Necessary to pull/inspect plugs so they donít seize to the head?
  • Plug wires?
  • Fuel filter?
  • Tranny fluid change?
  • Coolant flush?
  • Water pump?
  • Thermostat?
  • Power steering fluid flush?
  • Brake fluid flush?

If none of the above are recommended at 60K, *when* would you recommend replacing the coolant, thermostat, water pump, and/or some tranny fluid?

Thank you.

-Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 AM
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
2005 Camry LE 4cyl automatic... with 60,000 miles.

Iím having trouble following the maintenance manual and some of the intervals seem exceptionally long to me. I wanted to see what people in ďthe knowĒ would suggest regarding the 60000 mile maintenance interval. So far the car has had absolutely no work performed except for oil changes, air filters, wiper blades, and one set of new tires. Itís been really reliable and I want to keep it that way.

90% of the 60K miles are freeway.

Which of the following items would you recommend be performed at 60K?
  • Plugs replaced?
  • Necessary to pull/inspect plugs so they donít seize to the head?
  • Plug wires?
  • Fuel filter?
  • Tranny fluid change?
  • Coolant flush?
  • Water pump?
  • Thermostat?
  • Power steering fluid flush?
  • Brake fluid flush?
If none of the above are recommended at 60K, *when* would you recommend replacing the coolant, thermostat, water pump, and/or some tranny fluid?

Thank you.

-Nathan
Welcome to TN. This subject has been covered numerous times. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that asks newbies to please read it. It explains the search function and how to use it. Please have the courtesy to the people who are trying to help you and read that.

You have iridium plugs that don't need to be changed until 120,000 miles. You also don't have any spark plug wires, they're just boots between the coils and the plugs. Factory installed plugs typically don't seize to the head.

The coolant goes up to 100,000 miles. It's Super Long Life and comes premixed from the Toyota dealer.

The transmission fluid should be replaced when it becomes discolored. 60,000 miles is a good time to perform a drain and fill if the fluid is still in good condition.

I would recommend that you have the throttle body cleaned at this time and every 30,000 miles. A top engine clean is a good idea also. There is a SeaFoam thread that's easy to find by using the above mentioned search function.

The waterpump and thermostat only need to be replaced if they are faulty.

You don't need to replace the fuel filter.

The brake fluid should be checked to see if it's due for replacement, the same goes for the power steering fluid. There is very little failure caused by not changing these fluids. It's not a bad idea though.

Remember to rotate your tires, check your brakes, inspect the tires for wear (for a possible alignment), check the serpentine belt, and all the other checks in the maintenance guide.

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR
#3 Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi View Post
Welcome to TN. This subject has been covered numerous times. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that asks newbies to please read it. It explains the search function and how to use it. Please have the courtesy to the people who are trying to help you and read that.
Thanks for the warm welcome and the smack-down. But before posting I did use the search feature and I did read in the entire newb thread. ď60000 maintenanceĒ didnít reveal anything relevant to gen5 Camry, and a search for ď60K maintenanceĒ only revealed one gen5 Camry result, but the thread only had 2 replies.

Quote:
You have iridium plugs that don't need to be changed until 120,000 miles. You also don't have any spark plug wires, they're just boots between the coils and the plugs. Factory installed plugs typically don't seize to the head.

The coolant goes up to 100,000 miles. It's Super Long Life and comes premixed from the Toyota dealer.

The transmission fluid should be replaced when it becomes discolored. 60,000 miles is a good time to perform a drain and fill if the fluid is still in good condition.

I would recommend that you have the throttle body cleaned at this time and every 30,000 miles. A top engine clean is a good idea also. There is a SeaFoam thread that's easy to find by using the above mentioned search function.
Cool; thanks.

Quote:
The waterpump and thermostat only need to be replaced if they are faulty.
Are you saying at 60K, or you only replace these parts when they fail? Isn't the while idea of preventive maintenance to get to this stuff before it fails? That's what I'm after... Personally, I'd rather not wait on the part to fail -- leading the car overheat, and the head to warp.

Quote:
You don't need to replace the fuel filter.
Are you saying at 60K, or you just never replace yours? I'd rather not have it clog and leave me stranded.

Thanks,

-Nathan
#4 Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_EarBanger View Post
he's right this has never happened to anybody ever. Anti size is a total waste of $ and oly idiots use it
Last I checked antisieze was good for something, but even assuming you are right, and that itís not, Iím pretty sure the 99 cents I spent by using it didnít qualify me as an idiot.
#5 Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Sedan Life

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
i have a 2003 SE with 60k on the ODO and i recently did:
change ATF and refill with toyota genuine ATF type T-IV
check and change air filter if necessary
rotate and balence tires ( i rotate every 5k and balence every 15k)
check and change cabin air filter if needed
check and changer wiper blades/inserts if needed
check all gaskets and seals for leaks (oil pan, trans pan, valve cover gasket, rear main oil seal, etc)
change power steering fluid if needed, and check for leaks in the power steering system
check all boots (CV boots) for grease leaks
check balljoints and wheelbearings
check brake fluid and change if dirty
alignment (every 15k or as needed)
change coolant (if it uses toyota RED long life coolant like mine, which i cange every 30k, but since yours has PINK super long life, this isnt due to 100k)
change oil and filter (mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and toyota genuine filter)
check brakes (i replaced pads and rotors and shims all around with oem toyota parts)
check acessory drive belt for cracks and replace if needed (i did at 60k just because of age)
seafoam: helps clean your engine internally, and i do it every 20-30k
throttle body cleaning: every 15k for me....very easy, but make sure to use specific throttle body cleaner
a good engine cleaning never hurt anyone...nor did a good cleaning of the cars interior and exterior
check struts (bounce test)
spark plugs arent due to 100k since camrys use iridium plugs

this is just what i checked and did...since im a toyota tech, i go through an extensive check up routine every 30k on all cars that come through me...i also do this on my own car as well and at 60k and 5 years old she still runs like any new camry fresh off the lot.
2az-fe powered 2.4L camrys have a timing chain, so no worries about timing belts

2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."

Last edited by CharmCityES; 06-09-2008 at 10:36 PM.
#6 Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Right on; thanks.
#7 Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Sedan Life

no problem, and good luck to you and your camry.

2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."
#8 Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 PM
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Iridium plugs are due at 120,000 miles. Changing them at 100,000 miles is a good idea though.

Some waterpumps last nearly forever, and some leak after tens of thousands of miles. Only replace it and the thermostat if you have a problem with them.

You won't need to replace your fuel filter, probably ever. Don't worry, it won't clog.

2005 Camry
60,000 Miles - 72 Months

<< BACK - INTERVALS - NEXT >>
Replace engine oil and oil filter 1 Rotate tires Replace cabin air filter (if equipped) Replace engine air filter Inspect the following: Ball joints and dust covers Brake lines and hoses Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 4 Differential oil Drive belts 5 Drive shaft boots Engine coolant 3 Engine valve clearance Exhaust pipes and mountings Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses Fuel tank cap gasket Radiator, condenser and/or intercooler Steering gear box Steering linkage and boots Transmission fluid or oil
Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving While Towing Replace front differential oil Replace transmission fluid or oil Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis Driving in Desert or On Dirt Roads Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis Applicable Footnotes:1) Reset the oil replacement reminder (“MAINT REQD”) light after replacing engine oil, if vehicle is equipped with this light.
3) See Maintenance Definitions (Engine Coolant) for details.
4) Inspect thickness measurement and disc runout.
5) Initial inspection at 60,000 miles/72 months. Inspect every 15,000 miles/18 months thereafter.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com...2005&int_id=12

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Last edited by TRD VVTi; 06-10-2008 at 02:22 PM.
#9 Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Plugs replaced?
Necessary to pull/inspect plugs so they don’t seize to the head?
Plug wires?
Fuel filter?
Tranny fluid change?
Coolant flush?
Water pump?
Thermostat?
Power steering fluid flush?
Brake fluid flush?
Another forever man, thats fine...i will drive my 02 til the wheels fall off. 30 years experience working on this shet and here is my 2 cents since you are asking.

Quote:
Necessary to pull/inspect plugs so they don’t seize to the head?
Plug wires?
Those plugs are probably iridium and if so they will last at least 100,000 m. If you are worried about seizing (and this is a perfectly reasonable concern) remove them and put anti sieze on the threads and reinstall. on my 02 V6 it uses no plug cables just some wires to the coil connecter and these do not require changing until failure. Do a search.

Quote:
Fuel filter?
on my 02 it is built into the pump and no filter change required. Again, do a search. Your fuel filter, if extant, would probably be located in the darkness under your air filter housing.

Quote:
Tranny fluid change
yes change it. Every 30 k is a good time. Check your dipstick for what fluid to use, it may be dexron or more likely Toyota TIV or V. I have had good luck with valvoline compatible. I have owned 11 cars and trucks, followed this interval and only changed one transmission so far (my 1988 nissan pickup with 290k got a junkyard trans at about 200k and worked fine til last year when it wouldnt smog and i had to dump her.)

Quote:
Coolant flush?
yes, do it yourself or pay the overpriced shop - just change it. If you change your coolant every year i believe it is not too often. The aforementioned Nissan pickup still had the original radiator when i junked her at 290k (green coolant).

Quote:
Water pump?
Thermostat?
Whats it gonna cost you. The water pump will definitely tell you when it needs changing by leaking and/or noise. It could go for another 100k for all you know, if you are worried have it changed when you do the timing belt otherwise wait for it go out.
As fir thermostat, same thing. Thermostat stuck open means you will be looking at the temp gauge wondering why is this thing taking so long to get warm. thermostat stuck CLOSED means instant overheat and you will see your gauge pegged. Like the water pump, could last for another 100k, or tomorrow. I'd wait til i was either changing radiator hoses or a coolant flush and change it then if you wish.

Quote:
Power steering flush
Again, whats this gonna cost you. I suck out the reservoir with a turkey baster every 10k and refill. This costs me about 5 bucks for everything. Same for the brake reservoir. Do this 3 or 4 times in one day, pretty close to a flush. Moreover you do not break the system or unbolt anything and you have no worry about leaks or a mess.
#10 Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Goes Against The Grain

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
again holy thread revival...

2002 Camry SE 1MZ-FE "Snow White" - Track/Summer Car
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited - FOR SALE
Toronto/Canadian Meets and Track Days - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/69-canada/

#11 Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
vvti

#12 Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
at least its useful information

#13 Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

Answering year old threads is his specialty..................
#14 Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Official TN Member

you can go to toyota.com for suggested maintenance schedule.

for coolant, i think it was suggested at very 1-2 years.

also for water pump etc, my mechanic suggest to change it along with the Timing Belt (every 6 years) as he will not charge me 'extra labor' because he is already 'inside taking apart the belt'.. haha

Last edited by icqboy51; 03-30-2009 at 06:53 PM.
#15 Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremendous_Slouch View Post
Again, whats this gonna cost you. I suck out the reservoir with a turkey baster every 10k and refill. This costs me about 5 bucks for everything. Same for the brake reservoir. Do this 3 or 4 times in one day, pretty close to a flush. Moreover you do not break the system or unbolt anything and you have no worry about leaks or a mess.
hey Slouch: i think i will do it the way u suggested above. i dont want to do the "bleeding way" cause i am not professional enough for it... lol

""pumping/ sucking the fluids out of the reservoirs and do it 3 to 4 times a day""

do i suck it out then refill. then do I need to run the engine, step on the brake etc? then suck out and refill again? and suck out and refill one last time?

cause my 03 V6 has not had a PS or brake fluid change since buying it new in 2003....

the PS fluid is light brown clear, and brake fluid is clear (like cooking oil)...

do you suggest buying the fluids from Toyota dealer (just to be safe, no compatibility issues)??

thanx

Last edited by icqboy51; 03-31-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)