Power Steering fluid for 2007 Camry i4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering fluid for 2007 Camry i4

I have 40k miles on my Camry and thought it would be a good time to replace my power steering fluid. The power steering bottle cap says " Dex II or Dex III transmission fluid".---- Fluid is goldish black, not red

I called 'Gullo Toyota, Conroe, TX' and asked what fluid I should use and they said they only use the regular power steering fluid and not the Dex transmission fluid for the power steering.

I don't trust them because when I did a drain and fill on my transmission last week they insisted that I have the Type IV fluid and I had to drag them out to the parking lot to pull my dip stick and shock them that it says "Type WS" on it. I wonder how many other poor souls have been screwed over because of them giving the wrong transmission fluid. In other words, I don't think they know squat..... or they need to be retrained.(Gullo Toyota)

Question is ...... Is it ok to use regular power steering fluid or do I have to use Dextron III transmission fluid?

Thanks fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stdrxw12 View Post
I have 40k miles on my Camry and thought it would be a good time to replace my power steering fluid. The power steering bottle cap says " Dex II or Dex III transmission fluid".---- Fluid is goldish black, not red

I called 'Gullo Toyota, Conroe, TX' and asked what fluid I should use and they said they only use the regular power steering fluid and not the Dex transmission fluid for the power steering.

I don't trust them because when I did a drain and fill on my transmission last week they insisted that I have the Type IV fluid and I had to drag them out to the parking lot to pull my dip stick and shock them that it says "Type WS" on it. I wonder how many other poor souls have been screwed over because of them giving the wrong transmission fluid. In other words, I don't think they know squat..... or they need to be retrained.(Gullo Toyota)

Question is ...... Is it ok to use regular power steering fluid or do I have to use Dextron III transmission fluid?

Thanks fellas!
"The power steering bottle cap says " Dex II or Dex III transmission fluid".---- "

You already answered your own question.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my power steering systems.

2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR
#3 Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi View Post
"The power steering bottle cap says " Dex II or Dex III transmission fluid".---- "

You already answered your own question.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my power steering systems.

Yes, but is not the Dex fluid Red?.... I have Gold in my power steering tank?.... What fluid is that? What happens when I mix the red Dex III transmission fluid and the existing goldish black fluid?
#4 Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, but is not the Dex fluid Red?.... I have Gold in my power steering tank?.... What fluid is that? What happens when I mix the red Dex III transmission fluid and the existing goldish black fluid?
The color will become more red when you add red fluid...

It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be.

#5 Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD VVTi View Post
The color will become more red when you add red fluid...

It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be.
What fluid is the gold fluid that comes as factory fill?.... just curious... I'm not sure why Dex won't be used as factory fill?
#6 Old 07-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Power steering fluid quickly becomes discolored. It doesn't matter if it's power steering fluid or ATF.

Last edited by TRD VVTi; 07-24-2008 at 10:32 AM.
#7 Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Toyota | moving forward

Quote:
I was under the impression that it's just a dye. In other words, it doesn't matter. I put Dexron III ATF fluid in my gen 3.5's PS reservoir without any problems. My gen 5.5's PS fluid is still pretty clear looking so I am not worrying about it.

'05 2AZ-FE @ 47K miles | '95 1MZ-FE @ 92K miles
moving forward

[Gen 5.5 - OEM fogs / FormulaONE tint / OEM rims / LEDs inside and out / Viper 1002 / EchoMaster]
#8 Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
What fluid is the gold fluid that comes as factory fill?.... just curious... I'm not sure why Dex won't be used as factory fill?
What makes you think it's not Dex III? I highly doubt that the factory won't use the specified fluid especially since it produces several hundred thousand vehicles per year. I think that would result in a huge recall and bad press.

Power steering fluid can be any color you like. It just depends on the coloring.

If you are in doubt, mix motor oil and brake fluid until you have a color and consistency that you like for your power steering fluid replacement. Oh, throw some Zerex G05 coolant in there too.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#9 Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Joined the dark side. :D

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Wow.. really? only 40K and they need changing? Than I need to change mine too. LOL
#10 Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Toyota | moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM77 View Post
Wow.. really? only 40K and they need changing? Than I need to change mine too. LOL
Some of you guys sure drive a lot. The OP is at 40K on his '07. I'm at 28K on my '05!

'05 2AZ-FE @ 47K miles | '95 1MZ-FE @ 92K miles
moving forward

[Gen 5.5 - OEM fogs / FormulaONE tint / OEM rims / LEDs inside and out / Viper 1002 / EchoMaster]
#11 Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Joined the dark side. :D

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy57 View Post
Some of you guys sure drive a lot. The OP is at 40K on his '07. I'm at 28K on my '05!
Well.. for me I bought my car to drive. Not just to do car wash.
#12 Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:

Thanks fellas!

I used NAPA Power steering for my all Toyota's.
http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/NO...Steering+Fluid
can you explain me drain and fill for transmission for your 07 camry.
I know you should use "World standard" .
My 07 and 09 I4 camry has dipstick to check level. is that you used to refill?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)