How to program a keyless entry key to 2007 toyota camry LE - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to program a keyless entry key to 2007 toyota camry LE

I just bought a 2009 toyota camry Le and it came with only one keyless entry key. I bought new one on ebay but can not program it. If anyone has the programming instructions for this pls let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 PM
2GR Power

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Okay,

First, did you buy it new? The '09 Camry.
It should come with 2 remotes and 1 valet key.

Second, I think only dealers can program the keyless remotes for you.

#3 Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Official TN Member

I bought a key on Ebay for my daughter's 07 Scion. The dealer programmed and cut the key for $40. And threw in a flat key that can unlock the doors - not sure why, probably a test key cut before cutting the expensive one.
#4 Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 PM
TN Post Wh*re

"It should come with 2 remotes and 1 valet key."

Exactly. If you purchased this car new, return to your dealership and tell them you need the second remote and the valet key. They must provide you with these items. If they say they lost them, then it's still their responsibility to provide them for you. Any cost should be incurred by the dealership. If you purchased this car used, then you are on your own.

If you are on your own, there is a generation 6 Toyota Camry factory service manual stickied at the top of the Camry forum over at AutomotiveForums.com. It is available for free downloading. Download it. It should have the information you are looking for, along with lot's of other information that may be usefull down the road.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Gerber; 09-29-2008 at 02:43 PM.
#5 Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
New TN User

i bought my 2007 toyota camry used. my first key was stolen and my est friend dropped my last spare in the lake. i'm stuck using my valet key and am afraid something might happen to it. do can i just buy a key on ebay and program it myself if i can find the instructions?
#6 Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
must.resist.modding

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
You must get key cut and programmed at dealership or automotive locksmith. You can program keyfob so that the button works but you will not be able to program key to work with ignition.

Do a search for switchblade key in the forum and the same applies.
#7 Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
New TN User

so you're telling me there is no possible way that i can do it myself?
#8 Old 11-11-2009, 01:38 PM
must.resist.modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma_black View Post
so you're telling me there is no possible way that i can do it myself?
If you want to start the ignition...NO. Each key has a transponder chip. This chip communicates with the ECU. If this chip is not programmed, your car is not going to start. If it was that easy, your car would be stolen by now.

You can cut the key and program keyfob to lock/unlock door but you wont be able to start the engine. Theres a youtube video showing this as well. Its a security feature to prevent car theft.

If you buy a key from eBay, it will come with instructions on how to program keyfob. Depending on auction/seller/key, it should state that you need to go to dealership to get it programmed and/or cut.
#9 Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM
New TN User

i see. thank you for your help sir. it has been greatly appreciated. off to the dealership i go.
#10 Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Official TN Member

I had one key (that was master key though). I got a second one cut & programmed at the dealer for $50 (2002 XLE)

FYI different dealers quoted different rates. Some as high as 150! Cutting the key is same as any other key. I saw the dealer program it. It was set of steps... like hit the break 5 times etc... No equipment needed.
#11 Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
New TN User

Before I really take any action to begin with, should I buy a key on ebay and go to a dealership and have them program and cut my key or should I just have everything done at the dealership? Service and labor is +200...
#12 Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
must.resist.modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundarpn View Post
I had one key (that was master key though). I got a second one cut & programmed at the dealer for $50 (2002 XLE)

FYI different dealers quoted different rates. Some as high as 150! Cutting the key is same as any other key. I saw the dealer program it. It was set of steps... like hit the break 5 times etc... No equipment needed.
Your 2002 is different than a Gen 6. MrSo0h0o has a 2004 and didnt need to have his key programmed cuz it doesnt have a transponder chip and he programmed the key himself by following the steps.

He purchased a switchblade key and had the keyfob programmed. Its different for a Gen 6...more security features
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma_black View Post
Before I really take any action to begin with, should I buy a key on ebay and go to a dealership and have them program and cut my key or should I just have everything done at the dealership? Service and labor is +200...
Some dealers wont touch an aftermarket key. You would need to talk to parts department. I went to a couple and they had no problem. Go to different dealerships to find out how much they charge. I was quoted $100 at one dealership. I've asked some people who bought the same key and they were charged $50, some $75 and some even got it done for free.

To program key for ignition, dealership gets your VIN number for your car. From there, they enter it into their computer program which will give a code. They enter this code into the machine that cuts the key so that there is no error. This is not the same where a locksmith takes your key, puts it on one side and takes the blank key and duplicates it.

Once dealer has key cut, they insert into ignition and plugs their computer into the car and programs from there. Its your choice whether to get overcharged for a key or take the risk of getting an aftermarket key and have it programmed.

For reference, my aftermarket switchblade key was $75. To get it cut and programmed was $100. Thats $175. Its almost the same price as from dealership.

Last edited by bandit; 11-11-2009 at 08:48 PM.
#13 Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Unofficial TN Member

am i to understand that even a valet key has a chip in it as well that would only start an engine inserted into the vehicle that was issued for?
#14 Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Official TN Member

Yes.
#15 Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Unofficial TN Member

when did they start doing this? my 2000's valet key is a piece metal key like the keys for my home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)