Toyota Nation Forum banner

Need help with amp and sub install

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BlackCam09 
#1 ·
i did search the forum found couple threads but no pics.....

planning to install amp and subs....just wanted to know where the remote wire will hook up and how you run the power wire through the firewall...

if you can post pics that will help out a lot...

thanks

#5 ·
i dunno how gen6 people route their wire but for most car, you can run your power wire on the driver side, you can try to route your power wire parallel with the hood release cable or look for a aera with a opening at your firewall. you can route your remote wire with rca wire on the passagers side

#6 ·
I just installed an amp and sub a month or so ago, and I had the same questions.

The remote wire can hook up to the fuse box kinda by where the driver's left foot is. I can't think of what it's called, but I had one of those where a fuse plugs into the Radio 2 spot, the remote wire comes off of that, and there's an input on that thing for the Radio 2 fuse. Sorry for the awful description of that.

There's a place on the passenger side in the firewall that you can get the power wire through. I basically stabbed a hole into the rubber thing, greased the power wire up w/ some vegetable oil (ghetto, I know), and slid it through. Took me hours of pushing and pulling the damn power wire and not getting it through before the idea of using something to lube it up.

I don't have any pictures right now but I'll see if I can take some for you this weekend.

#9 ·
Ok, here you go. I hope this helps. I have a few more pics, but I'm not posting them right now because they were pretty repetitive. If you need other pics though, just let me know.

The red arrow points to where the power wire goes through. The green one shows where I unscrewed that thing to have a little more room for my hands down in there. Unfortunately, I lost this screw and that's why it's still loose.:rolleyes:

Here's a closer up view. There are these long nipple things on there. I cut open one of those and forced the wire through there (with the help of a little vegetable oil). To get to that spot from the inside of the car, you're going to have to take out the glove box and the other plastic pieces around it. Kind of a pain in the ass, but it's the best way.

Here's the fusebox that I tapped into for the remote wire. The slot I used was called Radio 2 or something like that. On the right side of that black piece, you can see the red fuse that originally went in that space. Someone else can give you a better description of that maybe. (By the way, if you're using a line-out converter for a signal, you can buy a more expensive kind that gives your amp a remote power signal. More expensive, but one less hassle.) This fusebox is on the driver's side up front. The big blurry black thing in the pic is the parking brake.

And lastly, a pic of the trunk. Not a great pic, but just wanted to point out where that power is coming out from. (the red one is the power wire - the big blue is the ground) If you pull back that carpeting stuff, there's a way to snake the wire down there. I had my friend feed an old power wire I had down that corner of the trunk. (more explanation after this pic)

So then I sat in the back seat and lifted up the seatback where those arrows are (this is on the rear passenger's side seat). I reached up in there and eventually caught the wire. Then I used some tape and taped my power wire to the old one he was feeding me, and he pulled it back up into the trunk. All the wiring is very easy to hide. I've installed stereos in 4 of my own cars and helped w/ 3 or 4 of my friend's cars and I've never had an easier time hiding wires.

#11 ·
Is that a switched wire? You only want the remote to be activated when the radio/cd is on. On an aftermarket head unit you connect to the dedicated switch wire (usually blue) or with a factory head unit you can connect to a wire that is only on when the key is in ACC or RUN (such as the IGN wire to the radio).

#14 ·
I wired my remote wire to the back of my hu, there should be one there unless if you are using the stock HU. I ran my kicker hyperflex 1/0 gauge wire through the firewall grommet where all the stock wires run in from. Its right above the pedal under the steering column, i also have a I4 i know the V6 there's barely any room to get to it from the engine bay. lol Then i ran the power wire along the driver side panels all the way to the back of the trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.