2010 Camry Transmission Oil - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View siennavan's Photo Gallery
2010 Camry Transmission Oil

I just purchased a new 2010 Toyota with the new 2.5L engine and the 6 speed Auto Transmission. It runs great, and certainly has enough power from the I4 engine. My question is this. How do you check the oil level in the transmission? There is no dipstick that I can find. The owners and the Warranty & Maintenance Guide do not show any way to check the oil level. However, it does say in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide to check the Transmission oil every 30,000 miles, without saying how to do it. I hope it is a servicable transmission, and not a throw away if something goes wrong with it. It is a very smooth shifting transmission. When in the 6th speed, the tac is at 2,000 when going just over 65 mph. Thanks for your input on this question.

Last edited by siennavan; 03-16-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling error
siennavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
TN Post Wh*re

Supreme Member
View toyomoho's Photo Gallery
The newer design trans do not have a dipstick. There is a fill port on the side much like a manual trans. The excess fluid is allowed to drain out..

There is specific proceedure on changing the fluid, the fluid needs to be between a certain temp range.

The fluid is Toyota Type WS, synthetic, expensive and supposed to last 100K.

The check for color changes, the dealer has a color chart to compare with.
toyomoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View siennavan's Photo Gallery
Thanks for your reply about the transmission oil. I also found out today the new 2.5L engine in my 2010 Toyota has to use 0W-20 Synthetic Only oil. The parts assistant manager called Toyota to ask what oil had to be used, because they did not carry conventional 0W-20 oil. That's when he was told about the 0W-20 Fully Synthetic oil requirement. The dealer does carry the fully synthetic oil under their own Toyota brand name for about $7.50 / Qt. Walmart carries Mobil 1 0W-20 for about $6.50 a quart.
I find it interesting the dealers know so little about the fluid requirements for their new 2010 vehicles, even as they are starting to appear for sale.
siennavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View camry98Green's Photo Gallery
Interesting...so how frequently does the oil have to be changed? I just upgraded my 1998 Camry and bought a 2010 Camry, waiting for it to come in....
camry98Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
nukka

View Vooduguru's Photo Gallery
Show us your new ride dude
Vooduguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
nukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry98Green View Post
Interesting...so how frequently does the oil have to be changed? I just upgraded my 1998 Camry and bought a 2010 Camry, waiting for it to come in....

Well, 09 m/y schedule was 5000 miles or 6 months. I would imagine its at least that.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Axxis8203's Photo Gallery
be wary of any "lifetime fill" fluid, i.e. toyotas' new ATF-WS transmission fluid. i have owned BMW's and Audi's in the past with lifetime fill tranny fluids which "do not need to be changed for the life of the vehicle" according to the manufacturers. a curious thing happens when you ask them what "lifetime" translates to in the way of mileage. they'll tell you it's 100k miles. for me, lifetime is driving the thing till it cost more to fix than buy a new one. what does it mean to you?

if you're in doubt just do an internet search about transmission failures in BMW and Audi vehicles with "lifetime fill" fluids.

personally i'll be changing the ATF in my 08 Camry 3.5 at about 50k intervals, it's cheap insurance for me. and the procedure is akin to draining and filling a manual tranny. fluid is $7 a quart from toyota.

as for oil change intervals, i use full synthetic 0w-30 or 5w-30 and change the oil at 10k and the oil filter at 5k intervals. 5w or 0w-20 is a pain to find and only gives you MARGINAL (at best) fuel economy gains at the expense of decreased engine life. the only reason these oils are used by toyota and other manufacturers is to comply with govt. CAFE standards.

the oil change interval per toyota is 5k/6mo

the reason toyota specifies synthetic 0w-20 is because you cannot make dino juice ( conventional oil ) a zero weight oil: 5w is about as thin as you can go with regular oil and have it remain stable for thousands of miles. check the shelves yourself and you will see that only full synthetics offer the option of a zero weight oil.

i second your sentiment on the smothness of the transmission and the low rpms at freeway speeds.
my V6 does 90mph at a little over 2,500 rpm and is giving me 28mpg average fuel economy with mostly highway driving.

enjoy the new ride!!
Axxis8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
nukka

Axxis makes a good point. Regardless of what the manufacturer states, "lifetime" claims don't circumvent the laws of physics. Sure you can go longer intervals with sythetic, but it's still going to break down over time. Just insist that the dealer do a trans fluid change at 60k. There is no law stating that you can over maintain your car. I'm still waiting for those pics btw.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View rick4924's Photo Gallery
Shifting Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennavan View Post
I just purchased a new 2010 Toyota with the new 2.5L engine and the 6 speed Auto Transmission. It runs great, and certainly has enough power from the I4 engine. My question is this. How do you check the oil level in the transmission? There is no dipstick that I can find. The owners and the Warranty & Maintenance Guide do not show any way to check the oil level. However, it does say in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide to check the Transmission oil every 30,000 miles, without saying how to do it. I hope it is a servicable transmission, and not a throw away if something goes wrong with it. It is a very smooth shifting transmission. When in the 6th speed, the tac is at 2,000 when going just over 65 mph. Thanks for your input on this question.
I also just got a 2010 Camry LE with the new 6 speed tranny...the tranny is smooth in normal acceleration but I have a lot of downshifting when I am in stop and go or slow driving...have you noticed the erratic shifting when coasting or in stop and go driving? Otherwise, you are right it is very smooth on the open road and quiet...
rick4924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View johnthrift's Photo Gallery
just bought 2010 camry,4cyl and am looking for the AT filler plug- anybody got a picture?
johnthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View rick4924's Photo Gallery
Tranny fluid Check

I talked with the guy at the Toyota place about that...he said the new transmissions are totally "sealed" and don't have any owner servicable parts....including no "dipstick" to check the fluid level...they have to check it by putting it up on the rack I guess....sure hope it has a warning light or something if it were to get low on fluid or else it would suck to not know that and have no way to check it!!
rick4924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick4924 View Post
I talked with the guy at the Toyota place about that...he said the new transmissions are totally "sealed" and don't have any owner servicable parts....including no "dipstick" to check the fluid level...they have to check it by putting it up on the rack I guess....sure hope it has a warning light or something if it were to get low on fluid or else it would suck to not know that and have no way to check it!!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks for your effort. I do have a lift and there is a filler plug and the fluid can be checked through the same hole you replace the fluid. They just want you to bring it back to the dealer to be checked. Somebody out there knows where the plug is.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Axxis8203's Photo Gallery
for those interested you can find the factory service manual here

http://www.camrystuff.com/index.php?page=Gen6_Manuals
Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View Camryyy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxis8203 View Post
be wary of any "lifetime fill" fluid, i.e. toyotas' new ATF-WS transmission fluid. i have owned BMW's and Audi's in the past with lifetime fill tranny fluids which "do not need to be changed for the life of the vehicle" according to the manufacturers. a curious thing happens when you ask them what "lifetime" translates to in the way of mileage. they'll tell you it's 100k miles. for me, lifetime is driving the thing till it cost more to fix than buy a new one. what does it mean to you?

if you're in doubt just do an internet search about transmission failures in BMW and Audi vehicles with "lifetime fill" fluids.

personally i'll be changing the ATF in my 08 Camry 3.5 at about 50k intervals, it's cheap insurance for me. and the procedure is akin to draining and filling a manual tranny. fluid is $7 a quart from toyota.

as for oil change intervals, i use full synthetic 0w-30 or 5w-30 and change the oil at 10k and the oil filter at 5k intervals. 5w or 0w-20 is a pain to find and only gives you MARGINAL (at best) fuel economy gains at the expense of decreased engine life. the only reason these oils are used by toyota and other manufacturers is to comply with govt. CAFE standards.

the oil change interval per toyota is 5k/6mo

the reason toyota specifies synthetic 0w-20 is because you cannot make dino juice ( conventional oil ) a zero weight oil: 5w is about as thin as you can go with regular oil and have it remain stable for thousands of miles. check the shelves yourself and you will see that only full synthetics offer the option of a zero weight oil.

i second your sentiment on the smothness of the transmission and the low rpms at freeway speeds.
my V6 does 90mph at a little over 2,500 rpm and is giving me 28mpg average fuel economy with mostly highway driving.

enjoy the new ride!!
Camryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)