A/C Freon recharge - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View gcretro's Photo Gallery
A/C Freon recharge

2002 Camry XLE (4 cyl)

Can I buy one of those DIY R-134 freon cans that Walmart sells with a pressure gauge to check / top off freon level?

is that stuff compatible with the Camry's freon?
gcretro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
pedron

View pedron's Photo Gallery
check the sticker under your hood. if it shows R134A refrigerant than yes you can buy a recharge kit. Know this, no air conditioner ever looses its refrigerant when it's functioning correctly unless there is something wrong like a failed o-ring or punctured condenser. I would suggest if you're having A/C issues to take your car and have it tested by a professional shop.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maven

Gameroom cash: $460060
View gdanaher's Photo Gallery
a) R134a is not commonly referred to as Freon. Freon in automotive applications is R12.

b) R134a is a compounded product with a mixture of chemicals in specific ratios. Some of the molecules are larger than others in this compound. Hence, if there is any sort of leak, the smaller molecules escape at a higher rate. The remaining gas/liquid has a different ratio and does not exchange heat at the same rate as R134a would in a properly formulated state.

c) Can the cheap kit work? Well, yes, to a point. See b). If you have a leak, no matter how much refrigerant you add back in, it won't work properly until the system has been evacuated, the leak repaired, and recharged.

d) Pressures in an R134a system are critical to proper function and depend upon a number of factors including the ambient air temperature. This is why you don't mess with it without proper training and knowledge.

e) Without having the proper gauges to check high and low side pressures, you are just assuming that the system needs to be charged because it isn't working well. You may be correct. The reason may be found elsewhere as well.

I do my own air conditioners because I am trained, own the equipment, am licensed and certified to handle refrigerants. I warn you to be careful.

Last edited by gdanaher; 03-30-2009 at 10:24 AM.
gdanaher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Tremendous_Slouch's Photo Gallery
yes just use the R-134 from the store. I am certified A/c handler and believe me there is no magical toyota r-134 to be had.
I'd give it one try at recharging and see what happens. The good kind of kit comes with pressure gauges and instructions to prevent you from overfilling. If you overfill it with refrigerant it will not work. Some of these kits come with refrigerant that includes a leak stopper chemical and i think i would give that a try since there's nothing to lose. Like the other fellow said though if this fix doesnt work its time to take it to the shop.

The only maintenance your A/C normally needs is to run it every week or two. No matter the weather, run it. Toyota says 30 seconds is long enough, i think a couple minutes is better. The reason you need to run the air is because there is oil added to the refrigerant that lubes the bearings and seals inside, starve them of oil too long and the compressor may seize up and snap your belt. This happened on my dad's old 1982 Dodge Mirada because he did not run it unless the weather was hot.
Tremendous_Slouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View soarer1023's Photo Gallery
can someone show me where is the low pressure pot pls
soarer1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to soarer1023 For This Useful Post:
yamadooed (06-30-2012)
Old 05-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View sleekaman's Photo Gallery
Enjoy, did my re-charge using this kit and it still works just great. Again, old system was R12. Near the middle of the thread, I posted some pics. Yes, you have to find out where the LOW side is to connect the kit.

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/ind...=0#entry234992

Harvey.
http://sleekaman.webs.com/

Last edited by sleekaman; 05-25-2009 at 06:59 PM.
sleekaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maven

Honestly, if you can't figure out which one is high pressure and which one is low pressure, you really have no business messing with it. Start by attaching your gauge set to the valves and read the dials.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $923230
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
There are talks about regulating the small cans all over the place here. Calif tried to require all AC work to be done by shops, but that legislation was dropped. But I think it's just a matter of time.

However, half a small Walmart bottle worked great. I thought a "completely sealed" AC system still is allowed to leak 1/2 oz a year??

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkor View Post
On the topic of that DIY kit, I've seen those things before. And they sell that to anyone there? For any work that involves refrigerants over here, you can only have it done by someone that is licensed. None of this DIY stuff.
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maven

No leakage is acceptable. A typical automotive system will last well past 6 years before a leak appears. I'm not fond of the state government regulating who can service an air conditioner, but R12 was quite nasty to the environment, and reports are that R134a is nearly as bad. Nobody should be venting these gases to the atmosphere, and nobody should be playing with these materials if they haven't had some training. When someone asks where the valve is to add refrigerant, I worry that perhaps he hasn't received his certificate yet.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View gcretro's Photo Gallery
The R134 kit with reusable guage (the brand was quest if I recall) worked great. About $29 with two 14oz cans at advance auto parts. My buddy 2000 corrola was were we used it (took about 3/4 can). The gauge indicated somewhat low (but not empty) before charging and cooling is back up now.

Can't go wrong, the fitting fits only on the low side. The low side has a cap on it which says "L". If one can't figure that out, they should not be opening the hood at all .
gcretro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
イリジウム

Supreme Member
Did a quick search. Actually, the annual leakage rate, according to this EPA study, is 10.7% That's worse than I originally thought.

The rubber hose is one primary villain here. It's a good read.

Mobile (automotive)

Average annual leakage
10.5% (A.D. Little)
9.2% (Baker)
6.9% (Schwartz)
18.5% (Petitjean)
8.6% (Petitjean)

Average = 10.7%

Full article:
http://www.epa.gov/cppd/Presentation...20Bus%20AC.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdanaher View Post
No leakage is acceptable. A typical automotive system will last well past 6 years before a leak appears. I'm not fond of the state government regulating who can service an air conditioner, but R12 was quite nasty to the environment, and reports are that R134a is nearly as bad. Nobody should be venting these gases to the atmosphere, and nobody should be playing with these materials if they haven't had some training. When someone asks where the valve is to add refrigerant, I worry that perhaps he hasn't received his certificate yet.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Toyota | moving forward

View islandboy57's Photo Gallery
I've always wondered about those 'recharge kits' - the gen 3.5's AC takes a bit longer to get cold in the past year. However - everything is original and after the air gets cold, it stays cold. Is it wise to perhaps get the rubber hoses replaced (after all, it's been 14 years) and get the system evacuated and recharged? I'm not sure how you maintain an air conditioning system so pardon the n00b questions.

'05 2AZ-FE @ 47K miles | '95 1MZ-FE @ 92K miles
moving forward

[Gen 5.5 - OEM fogs / FormulaONE tint / OEM rims / LEDs inside and out / Viper 1002 / EchoMaster]
islandboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
イリジウム

Supreme Member
It's going to be hard to tell low refrigerant from other faults. So even adding 6oz from a WalMart kit can be dicey if the system is full. Toyota had a expansion valve total recall around 95, so even today that part may just decide to crap out on you after a few years (leak, stick shut, etc).

In addition to getting cold, the performance needs to be measured as far as how fast it gets cold. At least some cars will flash climate control light if the vent output doesn't cool a certain degree within 1 minute. Couldn't remember if this was in a Caddy or Chrysler.

If you're sure of slow leaks then your state should allow these consumer cans - at least you are not in Wisconsin. I'd just add 1/2 bottle (6 oz). If it doesn't improve then take it into a shop for service at ~$100 a pop. There is only so much an owner can safely do. Just don't keep adding or you might need to replace the whole system. A bursted rubber hose can cost you your eyesight in less than a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy57 View Post
I've always wondered about those 'recharge kits' - the gen 3.5's AC takes a bit longer to get cold in the past year. However - everything is original and after the air gets cold, it stays cold. Is it wise to perhaps get the rubber hoses replaced (after all, it's been 14 years) and get the system evacuated and recharged? I'm not sure how you maintain an air conditioning system so pardon the n00b questions.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Toyota | moving forward

View islandboy57's Photo Gallery
Thanks for the information. A local tire/brakes/AC place charges $79.95 for an AC leak test and it includes up to 16oz of R134a. Maybe I'll take it down.

I am still very impressed with the durability of Toyota's AC system. My aunt has a '94 Accord and she is getting ready to repair her AC for the third time. The first two times it was major parts like the compressor/condensor/evaporator but this time I think it's just leaky hoses.

'05 2AZ-FE @ 47K miles | '95 1MZ-FE @ 92K miles
moving forward

[Gen 5.5 - OEM fogs / FormulaONE tint / OEM rims / LEDs inside and out / Viper 1002 / EchoMaster]
islandboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maven

A good a/c guy can pop the gauges on and know in a couple minutes if the pressures are in the ballpark. If it is just a tad low and you haven't added refrigerant in eons, then adding a few ounces will probably do the job and spending $80 is overkill. If it is way low, then yes, check for leaks.

I would not replace the hoses on a 14 year old system unless you have to. It's just too expensive. You need to replace the hoses, the drier, and then evacuate to a couple atmospheres for an hour or longer before recharging. Time and money. Check the price of the drier and then rethink this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)