Any tricks to removing trunk lid liner fasteners? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View MG-70's Photo Gallery
Gen5 Any tricks to removing trunk lid liner fasteners?

That is, without damaging them?

I'm talking about the numerous little, apparently two-part, fasteners holding the rigid liner onto the underside of the trunk lid (the large metal trunk cover, not the emblem); is there a trick to removing them?

Also, is anyone aware of a good plug for sealing the spoiler holes on the trunk lid, and if so, please let me know brand name, quantity, and size. The reason I ask is that while searching here, I found a plug especially made for covering the key holes on the door handles; highly specialized application, maybe there's one for the spoiler holes.

I'm removing the spoiler and want the holes on the lid to be as discreet as possible. Luckily the car's black, so there shouldn't be a need to paint the plugs. I plan on applying black silicone on the plugs. The spoiler is going into storage.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, is the copy&paste feature disabled for text? If so, it makes it hard to check spelling without downloading additional software.
MG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
MJZ
Bulletime

Gameroom cash: $438105
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View MJZ's Photo Gallery
Not sure what you're talking about. If you're talking about the black plastic clips that hold the trunk lining (which is rough black fabric), you can break them and buy new ones from the dealer (a $buck each or so). Just use a plier.
MJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Humm, I hope they're not disposable and a buck a piece.

I'll try to explain a little better what I'm talking about since I don't have a pic. When one opens the trunk, there's a trunk lid that swings open, or up towards the rear window. That same trunk lid is lined on the underside, the same side that faces inward when shut, with a rigid/hard grey liner. This rigid/hard liner is held to the trunk lid by means of many black plastic fasteners which appear to comprised of multiple parts/pieces since there's what seems to be a round "button" in the center.

If, in fact, these aren't disposable, what is the best way to remove them with non-custom tools in a manner that will allow them to be reused?

TIA

Last edited by MG-70; 04-04-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $328580
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View LE05's Photo Gallery
no they are not really disposable and yes you can remove them without damaging them. take a fairly small flat blade screwdriver, and pry the round center retaining pin up. you may try twisting the screwdriver a little to aid in prying the pin up. once the pin is pryed up, you should have no trouble removing the clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzh View Post
Not sure what you're talking about. If you're talking about the black plastic clips that hold the trunk lining (which is rough black fabric), you can break them and buy new ones from the dealer (a $buck each or so). Just use a plier.
why would you suggest breaking them? its such an easy part to remove intact... and i don't know about you, but i can't afford to waste money replacing 10 or so clips at $1.30 each...

Gen 5 TRD Suspension + OEM Wheels + Weapon-R I-Throttle Controller FS!

Last edited by LE05; 04-04-2009 at 03:03 PM.
LE05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LE05 View Post
no they are not really disposable and yes you can remove them without damaging them. take a fairly small flat blade screwdriver, and pry the round center retaining pin up. you may try twisting the screwdriver a little to aid in prying the pin up. once the pin is pryed up, you should have no trouble removing the clip.
Excellent; just what I was looking for! I work too hard for my money to be throwing it away on stuff like that.

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
MJZ
Bulletime

Gameroom cash: $438105
View MJZ's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
Excellent; just what I was looking for! I work too hard for my money to be throwing it away on stuff like that.

Thank you!
I don't know, I sure tried removing it without breaking it. So my point is, try removing them any way you wish, but you'll likely break them anyway.

If you buy a new one, you'll see that the design is one time use clip. You insert the clip into the holes, and then engage the teeth. I don't remember a way to disengage the teeth, so I see it as one time use.
MJZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
'07 XLE

Gameroom cash: $283530
View njerald's Photo Gallery
Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzh View Post
I don't know, I sure tried removing it without breaking it. So my point is, try removing them any way you wish, but you'll likely break them anyway.

If you buy a new one, you'll see that the design is one time use clip. You insert the clip into the holes, and then engage the teeth. I don't remember a way to disengage the teeth, so I see it as one time use.
It's very easy to remove them w/o breaking them.

Correct beats physical...............
njerald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sedan Life

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View CharmCityES's Photo Gallery
yes they are inexpensive and easy to break but you can easily remove them as LE05 said without breaking them...
they are not disposable. ive removed tons of these covers and rarely will i break the fasteners.

2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."
CharmCityES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
boo.hoo.hoo.

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
View desentrix's Photo Gallery
OR. If you don't care about replacing them, you can always buy those plugs from O'Rileys, Autozone, Pepboys or where ever... Those plugs are all interchangeable and will fit all vehicles despite the maker, the only difference is the top of the plugs.

desentrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

They were a piece of cake to remove, and surely will be easier still to replace. I think it took me longer to split open the safety latch and remove the bottom portion than to remove all those fasteners.

ETA: desentrix, I had the same thought in case I damaged these on removal, and I actually have the experience and tools to remove that other type from having them on my Ford.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MG-70; 04-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $420410
View bronzemaxell's Photo Gallery
here is how i remove mine, use two flat heat screw drivers, one to go through the fastener clip, one to pry on the other side, then pull both screw driver at once, i've done all of them without breaking the clips. if you only pull with one screw driver, you will probably break it.
bronzemaxell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
& JustAnotherCamry

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View JustAnotherAsian's Photo Gallery
huh?

i insert a #2 phillips screwdriver in screwdriver crosshairs while holding the base and screw counter-clockwise due to the righty-tighty/lefty-loosey law. the screw/plug pops up and you can wiggle the whole two-piece fastener out.

a diy for these screws is not needed.
JustAnotherAsian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View Saulson's Photo Gallery
Doesn't work on '06 Camry trunk liner fasteners

The method described for removing the trunk liner fasteners worked well on my '03 Camry and I was able to change the license plate bulbs, but it doesn't work on my '06 Camry. There is no central element or slot on the fasteners on the '06 Camry. The fastener is one continuous mushroom-like piece--like a screw head without any slots. The '06 manual says to take it to Toyota to replace the license plate bulbs. Any idea how one can remove the '06 trunk liner fastener without breaking it? Thanks.
Saulson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paul_09WhiteV6

Gameroom cash: $608085
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
View Pawel062's Photo Gallery
the clips can easily be removed without breaking them. they are similar clips on the bumper. if theres no central piece then you can try screwing them around like a screw or just take 1 and even brake it so you can see how the others are. if u know what you are doing then you will not brake them.
WrongFitmentCrew#628

: SE : MB BATTLES : PROJECT KICS : MEGAN RACING : FUJITA : INJEN : TRD : 3M DINOC : PHILIPS : MATSUSHITA : VLEDS : SUPERBRIGHTLEDS : EAGLE EYES : OBX : KOITO :
Pawel062 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $328580
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View LE05's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulson View Post
The method described for removing the trunk liner fasteners worked well on my '03 Camry and I was able to change the license plate bulbs, but it doesn't work on my '06 Camry. There is no central element or slot on the fasteners on the '06 Camry. The fastener is one continuous mushroom-like piece--like a screw head without any slots. The '06 manual says to take it to Toyota to replace the license plate bulbs. Any idea how one can remove the '06 trunk liner fastener without breaking it? Thanks.
sounds like the one piece push in type. ideally you should use a v-shaped trim removal tool, but you could just use a flat blade screwdriver to pry it up.

Gen 5 TRD Suspension + OEM Wheels + Weapon-R I-Throttle Controller FS!
LE05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)