how often should i change my brakes? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
how often should i change my brakes?

i have a 2008 Se wit 20xxx miles on it and my steering wheel shakes a bit when slowing down from doing anything over 60mph. my question is how often should i change my brakes and will i need to resurface my rotors. Also i do tow with my camry so what kind of pads would be best for me.

and for the record i did do a search and could not find at what intervals brakes should be changed on newer cars.

thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 AM
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
It all depends on your driving habits. I would check your brake pads to see how much friction material you have left. That is the best gauge as to whether it is time to change them or not. As for your rotors, I probably would change them because of the shaking you are experiencing. The shaking most likely means warped rotors.

#3 Old 06-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Official TN Member

+1

i never resurface rotors. the fact is that when you resurface them you basically remove material from the rotor thereby making them prone to warping faster and more easily than before due to the fact that they are now thinner.

i suggest you replace the rotors, the pads should still be good, just be sure to perform a bedding in procedure once you install the new rotors.

Wise Men STILL seek Him!
#4 Old 06-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Joined the dark side. :D

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
The rotor is worn much slower than the pad right? And warped rotor means the surface on it is not even right? So the question is if it's still usable and worth it to resurface right? From what i understand you have to change a few brake pad before you have to change the rotor. So if the rotor is still fairly new, it would be better to resurface.

How long does it take to resurface? And is it more cost effective to resurface or just trash and get new rotor?

I have the same shake when I brake at around 60mph.
#5 Old 06-06-2009, 06:14 PM
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM77 View Post
The rotor is worn much slower than the pad right? And warped rotor means the surface on it is not even right? So the question is if it's still usable and worth it to resurface right? From what i understand you have to change a few brake pad before you have to change the rotor. So if the rotor is still fairly new, it would be better to resurface.

How long does it take to resurface? And is it more cost effective to resurface or just trash and get new rotor?

I have the same shake when I brake at around 60mph.
the price difference between resurfacing and purchasing new rotors is almost negligible. Also, factor in that resurfacing may not be always true plum and level. Who knows, they may make the rotor worse or just not even them out.

#6 Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxis8203 View Post
+1

i never resurface rotors. the fact is that when you resurface them you basically remove material from the rotor thereby making them prone to warping faster and more easily than before due to the fact that they are now thinner.

i suggest you replace the rotors, the pads should still be good, just be sure to perform a bedding in procedure once you install the new rotors.
ill be taking a look at my pads and rotors very soon. what do you mean by be sure to perform a bedding procedure once i install the new rotors.

also can anyone please tell me the normal average interval to have your brakes done?
#7 Old 06-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Official TN Member

I have a same prob here! I have 30k mileages for my car..I probably need to check out my pads and rotors as well...
#8 Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSo0h0o View Post
the price difference between resurfacing and purchasing new rotors is almost negligible. Also, factor in that resurfacing may not be always true plum and level. Who knows, they may make the rotor worse or just not even them out.
It costs $6 to machine a rotor or drum and new cost at least $35. A $29 difference is hardly negligible. But that really depends on your financial situation I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_FF View Post
ill be taking a look at my pads and rotors very soon. what do you mean by be sure to perform a bedding procedure once i install the new rotors.

also can anyone please tell me the normal average interval to have your brakes done?
The brake pads will come with procedures on how to perform bed in. Usually you have to perform a few stops from 40 MPH or something along those lines.

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#9 Old 06-07-2009, 05:22 PM
TN Post Wh*re

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
and for the record i did do a search and could not find at what intervals brakes should be changed on newer cars.

That really depends on your driving situation. I've seen OE pads with 1/16" at 30 thousand miles and I've seen some last over 100 thousand miles and still have 3/8".

2007 Camry 2.4L 5M
#10 Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
resurfaced rotors are just fine with me......

just like new brakes, only cheaper, and less squeaky.

I miss the old days of TN.
#11 Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Official TN Member

Wow... rattling at 20k miles? The brakes on my '07 LE were just fine around 28k miles, and they were changed around 34k miles.
#12 Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-o View Post
Wow... rattling at 20k miles? The brakes on my '07 LE were just fine around 28k miles, and they were changed around 34k miles.
Did you change the whole brakes (rotors, pads)? or just only the pads? and how much the total cost?
#13 Old 06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Official TN Member

There is some great advice at this thread guys....I swapped my rotors and got new pads, and it is as good as new now

Any input on these rotors

11 Sienna XLE / 07 Camry / 06 GS300 / Retired from service 04 GX470
#14 Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
イリジウム

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
In normal driving I wouldn't be surprised if you can get 60-90K miles out of today's ceramic pads. And the rotors shouldn't warp just going to the supermarket. Who rotated your tires? Did they use torque wrench?

You might want to check with the dealer or call the Toyota hot line. Who knows, you might get goodwill warranty service.

The 2002 redesign coincided with increased rotor warpage problems. Maybe it's the cheaper brake pads? Don't know.

There was a TSB back then and people got free rotors. Not sure if 2008 has them or if they'll honor past 1year/12K miles like you are. But give them a call. You'll never know.

Quote:
i have a 2008 Se wit 20xxx miles on it and my steering wheel shakes a bit when slowing down from doing anything over 60mph. my question is how often should i change my brakes and will i need to resurface my rotors. Also i do tow with my camry so what kind of pads would be best for me.

thanks in advance for any input.
#15 Old 06-24-2009, 12:02 AM
New TN User

My 2007 is at 42K. On last inspection (40K), the dealer maintenance department told me it was time to replace the rear pads, because they were down to 2mm (new pads are 10mm), while the front pads measured 8mm. I was surprised that the front pads had worn less than the rear, but have since learned that this has to do with the electronic brakeforce distribution. Anyway, I told the dealer I would buy the pads and replace them myself. I over-paid ($70) and took the pads home. When I popped the rear wheel off and removed the pads, they measured 5mm! That means they are only half-used. I have not decided how to approach the dealership maintenance dept.... perhaps with some reading glasses.

I estimate I will go at least 70K before having to replace the pads. I am a freeway commuter, and my car has driven between 80 and 120 miles every working day since I bought it, in stop-and-go Portland traffic.

I have a question: Warped rotors aside, because they would obviously effect braking performance, why would one want to re-surface rotors that have mildly grooved? It would seem from an engineering standpoint that grooves would (a.) increase surface area, resulting in better braking performance, and (b.) increase surface area, resulting in better cooling (think of the cooling efficiency of heat-fins).

I have driven drum and disk, and have never had rotors turned; I have also never experienced poor braking performance or accelerated brake pad wear as a result, even when I know the rotors or drums had been scored, or grooved, by worn-out pads. The pads always wore to match the grooved surface, and everything was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)