2010 Camry LE Transmission Issues - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2010 Camry LE Transmission Issues

Hey all of you 2010 Camry owners...I just got a 2010 LE auto transmission with the new 6-speed transmission about 2 weeks ago. I am not liking the shifting nature of this tranny around town...constantly hunts and downshifts when you are slowing down...very unruly. I have been back to the dealer and they say that is the nature of the new transmissions...they downshift to "help you slow down" and one guy admitted that many have complained about the shifting nature of the Camry's but they say its not a faulty transmission.

Is anyone else having issues with the automatic transmission on the 2010? Other than that, I love this car...I got it loaded with leather, sunroof, upgraded stereo, alloy wheels, metallic gray color so it really looks sharp...lots of compliments on its looks...great ride and handling too but hate the tranny!! I solve the tranny hunting problem by using the shiftronic feature thats new on the 2010's but I dont want to have to do that around town all the time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

It's a 6 speed and it uses them all, up and down................

Last edited by njerald; 06-07-2009 at 07:08 PM.
#3 Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Official TN Member

Your tranny downshifts and performs "fuel cut-off"... it's normal, but you have get use to it... The lastest corolla does that and i heard honda and other brands also have this fuel saving feature... i guess it must be annoying, if you are used to the car that coasts!

Last edited by Carzzz; 06-08-2009 at 10:18 PM.
#4 Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I finally called toyota and they are contacting my dealer to arrange a test drive of another 2010 model to see if that is normal for this transmission....maybe this fuel cut off is a new thing...if so, its very irritating to drive around town...wish they'd reprogram it to shift more smoothly around town...thats what people buy a Camry for is SMOOTHNESS!! We'll see what happens...
#5 Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I found this link that explains this "fuel cut-off" feature...sounds exactly like what my car is doing..

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4539643.html
#6 Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For me this is an interesting thread. Have an '06 V-6 model. Toyota introduced the DBW(drive by wire) concept in '06. A TSB was developed to deal with the erratic shifting. Had that done & few monthst later its back.

Have learned to live with it, but as soon as I've gotten my $$ out of this car, it's back to Honda for me.

Thanks for posting this. 4 years later and Toyota still hasn't got their act together.
#7 Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
2009 Corolla XRS

Hi Rick, I'm over from the Corolla section of these forums but that sounds similar to my car although mine has a 5 speed with the 2.4L XRS. It was very noticeable when the car was new but its over a year old now and several thousand KM's on it and its much smoother now. If you find some of the other cars doing the same thing then its probably normal and if its like mine...then it will smooth out nicely over use and time. Different cars mind you...but I doubt its that different.
#8 Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM
MJZ
Bulletime

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Very normal as far as I know (the 6 speeds haven't changed right?)

If you coast from like 50 to 15-20 without braking, the car with downshift once or twice and you'll feel it a bit.

If you don't want it to that, drive in "S" mode and limit the gearing.
#9 Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
spp
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njerald View Post
It's a 6 speed and it uses them all, up and down................
Yep . And I have fun with every one of them.
#10 Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzh View Post
Very normal as far as I know (the 6 speeds haven't changed right?)

If you coast from like 50 to 15-20 without braking, the car with downshift once or twice and you'll feel it a bit.

If you don't want it to that, drive in "S" mode and limit the gearing.
Duh....this is the first year for the I4 6 speed.
#11 Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 AM
イリジウム

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
V6? That should be the Aisin U-660E transmission?

The U-660E seems to have problems from the beginning. Toyota might have fixed the gear skipping problem, but this one seems to be the only LePellitier design that can't shift smoothly. Maybe they didn't pay Mr. LePellitier enough?
#12 Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
New TN User

I've noticed it on all the 2010's I've driven. And the older 3.5v6's too. Seems like things have gotten better for this transmission since it's shaky start.
#13 Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Paul_09WhiteV6

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
the tranny is shaky but the car is designed to learn how you drive. once it does then it adjusts to your prefrences. ie if u get a few k miles on your car then the tranny will get smoother. atleast this is what a very good technician at toyota told me. this learning curve though brings some bad shifting for a while. i know hes pretty correct bc my dads 09 and my 09 drive different. mine the throttle response is smooth and instant. the tranny on my dads car is silky smooth but response is a bit slower and more agressive once you get it going.

WrongFitmentCrew#628

: SE : MB BATTLES : PROJECT KICS : MEGAN RACING : FUJITA : INJEN : TRD : 3M DINOC : PHILIPS : MATSUSHITA : VLEDS : SUPERBRIGHTLEDS : EAGLE EYES : OBX : KOITO :
#14 Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceXRS View Post
Hi Rick, I'm over from the Corolla section of these forums but that sounds similar to my car although mine has a 5 speed with the 2.4L XRS. It was very noticeable when the car was new but its over a year old now and several thousand KM's on it and its much smoother now. If you find some of the other cars doing the same thing then its probably normal and if its like mine...then it will smooth out nicely over use and time. Different cars mind you...but I doubt its that different.
I so hope that mine smooths out as yours does, because I've only driven 500 miles so far and the downshifting problem makes driving the car really annoying and it feels almost unpredictable.
#15 Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM
=]

your slowing down, its not like its engine braking hard, its just going into the appropriate gear incase you need to speed up. Like in town, its going to downshift so if a truck behind you cant stop in time, you can just punch the gas and take off.
Or would you rather be doing like 20mph in 6th gear and then seeing a truck behind you? punching the gas, then wasting 1-2 valuable seconds while it hunts for the right gear?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)