02 Camry vibrate at 70+ MPH, Ideas? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
02 Camry vibrate at 70+ MPH, Ideas?

Hello everyone, I had a dilemma I was wondering if you could help me diagnose on my 02 Camry.

02 Camry SE, 4 Cyl, Auto
68k Miles

Since I've owned this car (for about a year now), at 70+ mph, the steering wheel starts to vibrate, as well as my legs on the floorboard a bit. Not awful, but enough to really annoy me. If I have bottled water in the cup holder, I can definitely see the vibrations. The strangle thing is, the vibration seems to be worse on certain days.

Since I've owned it, there has been a new set of wheels and tires put on the car (balanced when put on wheels). I've put a new set of rotors and pads on all four wheels. I've flushed and replaced the transmission fluid. And most recently, a four wheel alignment and full tire balance.

The problem still exists, at 70-80mph, the wheel still vibrates. Can you please give me suggestions on what it could be so I can get it taken care of? I really would like to get this figured out.

The only thing I can think of is that it is possibly a bad wheel bearing, tiny bend in one of the front axles? Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas would be really helpful. Do you think the dealer would be able to at least diagnose the problem if I were to take it to Toyota? Thanks for all the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Maven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
New rotors, wheels, tires. That's about everything that is moving except the half axles. My next step is to put the whole car up on jack stands, remove both front tires, start and run the car up to and past 70 and see if you are seeing any vibration with no wheels attached to the drive axles. If you still have a problem then one of the half axles is out of balance. Then you reattach one wheel and block it and spin it up again and see if the remaining axle is out of balance. If not, reverse the procedure.

If neither half axle seems at fault, swap tires around and see if you can find one wheel that is more problematic than another.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
#3 Old 07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

Bad tire, Out of round tire, tires still out of balance.

Rotate front to back and then try it on the road again....
#4 Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Here and there...

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
You mentioned there has been a new set of wheels. Did the vibration exist before or after you have the new wheels. If it didn't vibrate before and only happen after the new wheels then try put on those hub centric rings.

Back on stock height and love it!

Questions about wheels/tires? Click here
#5 Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
1994 5S-FYOU!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
3rd Generation

Idea: don't break the speed limit.

me = hypocrite

USAF
#6 Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs0229 View Post
Hello everyone, I had a dilemma I was wondering if you could help me diagnose on my 02 Camry.

02 Camry SE, 4 Cyl, Auto
68k Miles

Since I've owned this car (for about a year now), at 70+ mph, the steering wheel starts to vibrate, as well as my legs on the floorboard a bit. Not awful, but enough to really annoy me. If I have bottled water in the cup holder, I can definitely see the vibrations. The strangle thing is, the vibration seems to be worse on certain days.

Since I've owned it, there has been a new set of wheels and tires put on the car (balanced when put on wheels). I've put a new set of rotors and pads on all four wheels. I've flushed and replaced the transmission fluid. And most recently, a four wheel alignment and full tire balance.

The problem still exists, at 70-80mph, the wheel still vibrates. Can you please give me suggestions on what it could be so I can get it taken care of? I really would like to get this figured out.

The only thing I can think of is that it is possibly a bad wheel bearing, tiny bend in one of the front axles? Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas would be really helpful. Do you think the dealer would be able to at least diagnose the problem if I were to take it to Toyota? Thanks for all the help!!
Have you tried a wheel alignment? Usually recommended after a while.
#7 Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Here and there...

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by malupimp View Post
Have you tried a wheel alignment? Usually recommended after a while.
He said "And most recently, a four wheel alignment and full tire balance."

Back on stock height and love it!

Questions about wheels/tires? Click here
#8 Old 07-16-2009, 10:34 AM
2GR Power

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
I got my hub centric rings, I had the Wheel-Master checked it, and I have no vibration at all.

The fastest my car can go is 70MPH. Beyond that, it seems like I'm giving away my hard earned money.

Last edited by GT-R; 07-16-2009 at 10:39 AM.
#9 Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi
U have the front hood deflector?
Maybe that the culprit for 110km/h and up vibration.
Check that item if you have an front hood deflector.

Btw, an 4cylinder or v6 camry should be able to run top speed over 200km/h and still stable, smooth and quiet and without vibration.

Last edited by mcgill_redmen; 07-16-2009 at 10:55 AM.
#10 Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM
2GR FTW

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
It may be a bad balance, try to bring it back to the wheel shop and explain them to the issue, they may rebalance the wheels for you. The weights may have fallen off also, or the wheels could have just been bent initially, thus making the balance harder to be accurate.

But then again, if your getting vibration on the footwell, that's possibly coming the rotors that need to be resurfaced again, is there vibration at 70mph under braking, or under normal driving conditions?

2007 Toyota Camry SE 2GR-FE
Retrofit TSX HID Projectors | TRD Lowering Springs | Smoked LED Tails | Custom Apexi WS2 Catback Exhaust | BlueBatMobile Eyelids| UR Front Strut Bar | UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar | K&N Short Ram Intake| Kenwood DNX8120 In-dash | Lexus IS350 18" Wheels | Toyota Japan JDM Vent Visors | IS-F Black Leather Shift Knob

Other cars: F20C (AP1) | 2JZ-GE (JCE10)

#11 Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
DINSTAAR

Yeah i agree with post that it is a tire almost 90% chance especially if they are directional. I had this problem + a pull to the right with my camry after i put wheels on it. It was just a mild vibration in the steering wheel. I took it back to the delearship and their top mechanic told me that it was the tires he said directional tires will pull and some times vibrate They swapped fronts to to the rears and vice versa and it fixed my vibration + pull to the right. Just throw your old wheels on and run it to see. And you need A shop with a ROAD FORCE balancer to duplicate real road vibration. Good luck

DINSTAAR

Last edited by GREA2278; 07-17-2009 at 11:32 AM.
#12 Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
New TN User

I have had the same problem with my 02. I had to balance all 4 tires. That helped out a little, but it ended up that my tires were SHIT. Once I replaced all 4 tires with good ones and got another balancing all that vibration went away.

#13 Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 AM
TN の がしょう

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Check your engine mounts as well. Do you know if the previous owner had them changed? You should check your top mounts (dogbone mount) and the front (located at the front, bottom below your radiator)

If it's worn out, it could be the problem as in why your wheels is shaking when you go over 70mph+ because if it's your wheels, you should notice it continuously. If it's your engine mounts, you should also feel a slight shuddering while you're braking, your brake pedal and stearing wheel should vibrate slightly or a lot depending on the condition of your mounts. Hope this helped.

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec 6-spd
2000 Celica GT ZZT230
#14 Old 08-01-2009, 01:26 AM
씨발

iTrader Score: 22 reviews
get your tires balanced.

Do you need car parts?
AdvanceSpeedShop

I Am Parting Out: click!
Questions about your own stupidity?: PM NJERALD
#15 Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
I got my hub centric rings, I had the Wheel-Master checked it, and I have no vibration at all.

The fastest my car can go is 70MPH. Beyond that, it seems like I'm giving away my hard earned money.
where to find + right size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)