Toyota Nation Forum banner

Recommended wheel, tire and offset

1M views 5K replies 486 participants last post by  06camry808 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
** THIS IS STILL A WORK IN PROCESS. I AM AWAITING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AS I AM NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE WITH WITH TIRES. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP FILL OUT INFO ABOUT TIRES (SEE 225/50/18 FOR EXAMPLE), PM ME **

** FOR RESPECT TO OTHERS, PLEASE KEEP THIS ON TOPIC. THIS KEEPS IT LESS CLUTTERED!!! **

OK, there are WAYYYY too many threads of people asking "will this fit?". So here is your ONE STOP source about tire, rim sizes and if there are rubbing issues. Got a question whether or not it will fit, check HERE before you ask in THIS thread! Again, please keep this on topic. ** MODS: please delete any posts that you see that do not pertain to this thread

This thread will be updated more and more as people contribute to this. So check back if you have questions about wheels.
__________________________________________________​

Basic Info:
- How to read a tire: http://www.goodyeartires.com/kyt/readingATire/
- Wheel/Tire size calculator/comparer: http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp
- How to measure tire thread depth with coins: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=51

Example: 215/65/15
  • "215" is the width of the tire measured in millimeters from sidewall to sidewall. This tire width is 215 millimeters.
  • "65" is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. On our example, 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width.
  • "15" is the width of the wheel from one end to the other. The diameter of this wheel is 15 inches.
- Stock Offset:+45mm
- Stock Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3 (5 on 4.5")

- Will it throw off my speedometer?
circumference = pi*d
circumference = pi*(wheel diameter in inches*0.0254+2*tire width in mm*aspect ratio/100000)
circumference = pi*(16*0.0254+2*205*50/100000)
circumference = 1.921 m

Then work out the new circumference, divide old by new, multiply by 100 and that is your actual speed at the indicated speed of 100km/h (then convert to imperial, since I'm not sure if the formula works in feet/miles)

- Wheel and tire calculator- To also help us understand offset, here is a simple diagram (courtesy of moky-tron)

- Hubrings
What is hubrings and what does it accomplish?
60.1 is the inner diameter (Toyota/Lexus hub bore all have 60.1)
73.1 is the outter diameter (In this case, your wheels have center bore of 73.1)
The hub centric rings primary job is to fill the gap between your aftermarket wheels and the car's wheel hub bore. 73.1 - 60.1 = 13.0 mm is the gap.

Why such gap? Because each vehicle manufacture wheel hub bore are difference, hence all Toyota/Lexus wheels are 60.1 mm so it will match the car hub bore exactly. Aftermarket wheels wants to sell their wheels to a wide market of car makers so they make a universal hub bore to fit as many vehicle as possible. That is why you need a hub centric rings. (courtesy of wetherburner/lammydi)

- What are some recommended spacers and what do they do? H&R or Ichiba (www.ichibausa.com). Spacers reduce the positive offset, i.e. push your rims further out to the fender. Putting a 10mm spacer in the back on a +40mm offset, makes the offset effectively +30mm. (courtesy of tobeit)
- When are lug extenders needed? If it is 5mm or less spacers then you can safely use the OEM hub studs. But any spacers that is longer I would replace the OEM studs with extended studs. Safety first. (courtesy of lammydi)
__________________________________________________​

Tires
215/60/16 - STOCK GEN6 STEELIES
225/60/16 -
235/55/16 -

215/55/17 - STOCK GEN6
225/50/17 -
225/55/17 -
235/50/17 -

225/45/18 - STOCK GEN6 TRD (10 spoke)
225/50/18 - will give you more comfort (bigger sidewall) and will shorten the wheel gap (bigger overall diameter) BUT it will make your rims appear smaller.
235/45/18 - closest to stock overall diameter of stock 17"
235/55/18 -

215/35/19 -
215/40/19 -
225/35/19 -
225/40/19 -
235/35/19 -
235/40/19 -
245/35/19 -
245/40/19 -

215/35/20 -
245/35/20 -
245/40/20 -

Offset
Stock = +45mm

7" Wide Wheels
TO COME

7.5" Wide Wheels
TO COME

8 or 8.5" Width Wheels
+35 to +45 for the flush look - rubbing may occur if you are lowered, and may result in having to roll the fender. Also depends on your tire size.
+45 to +48 isn't recommended for a rim width higher than 8, it will result in rubbing and/or hitting the strut

NOTE: ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS ABOUT "AGGRESSIVE" (HELLAFLUSH) WHEEL AND TIRE FITMENT, PLEASE SEE Official Aggressive (Hellaflush) Wheel/Tire Fitment: Questions? Click here*. THIS IS STRICTLY FOR REGULAR WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT.

NOTE: PrincessPeach is inactive and hasn't been on here for a while. Post your questions here instead.

I get about 5-10 private messages a week asking me about aggressively stanced wheel fitment. If you have questions about...

1) How to flush/poke your wheels
2) How much stretch can you get away with
3) Rolling and pulling fenders
4) Maxing out stock camber bolts etc
5) What offset/width would be best for an aggressive fitment
6) And so on...

I'm not very arrogant at all, but I am very knowledgeable in this field of "hellaflush" or flush fitment. If you have ANY questions, post your questions here and I'll be more than happy to help you out. Since this is a rare breed and comes with a lot of negativity, I'm hoping those negative comments will be excused in the hopes of less clutter and nonsense in this thread. Only people wondering about aggressive wheel fitment on their Gen 5+6 should chime in. Of course, my knowledge lies within the Gen 6, but I'm hoping Asian and the others with the Gen5 may contribute. I have a host of users here that can attest to my help, and I'm definitely willing to extend this knowledge to you. Ask away!

Online Wheel & Tire Fitment & Stretch, Rolling Radius and Speedometer Error Calculator, compare fitment
http://www.willtheyfit.com/

**Useful tool to help calculate just about everything for your fitment!***

OFFICIAL HELLAFLUSH PICTURE ONLY THREAD
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3343891#post3343891
SEND YOUR SPECS THROUGH VIA PM TO ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR RIDE FEATURED IN THE THREAD.
..no im not yelling.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
for those wondering what rims to get:

first decide what size you want. 17s or 18s are for comfort. many people will recommend to atleast go 18s as they will go bigger and you won't really notice a difference in ride comfort from 17s. 20s are for looks. you won't have as much tire and will feel much more things on the road then with other rims. 19s are inbetween but the tires can get pretty expensive. you can go 21s but thats very little tire and it gets expensive.

next decide on the style and finish. there are many finishes out there and you can have rims powdercoated to whatever color you want. if u want chrome but don't want all the problems that can come from it down the line like the finish looking old and sometimes even pealing then go for a mirror cut finish. many people here prefer the 5 spoke styles but you really see the brakes then and the brake dust at times.

last decide what tires you want based on the chart above.

if your really undecided then go to a site like discount tire that will let you put all the rims they offer on your car on their website or go to a local rim place and ask them to put some different rims against your car so you can decide what you want.

if u plan to get rims on the internet then remember you need to factor in shipping(though many places do free shipping now), balancing, mounting, hardware like hub centric rings if it doesn't come with order, and transfering of the tire pressure sensors. all these things can add up and make the purchase more than if you would of had a local rim place get your the rims and put them on.

offset: if u want to skip the diagram and trying to figure it out them heres a quick bit of info:

the offset determines how far or close the rim will be to the fender or struts. for the camry you want to really be within the +35 to +45 range. +35 will mean the rim will be closer to the fender. +45 will be closer to the struts. everyone on here will tell you to look for a +35 offset as long as the tires aren't too wide as it will have that flush look with the fender. by flush we mean how close it is to the top most out part of the wheel well. a +35 offset with a decently wide tire will get you major style points on here but not everyone can do it depending on the tires, width of the rims, and the offset the rims are available with. you can always use some hub centric spacers with studs to get the wheels to be more flush.

#3 · (Edited)
245/35/19 Definitely fits (as you can see in my sig pic) but the tires look too thin as 245/35. Maybe 245/40s would be better.

By the way, EXCELLENT JOB! I'm fairly tired of seeing all these "will these fit" threads.

Recommendation: You may want to see if you can do some type of grid reference chart thing because some people will want to know if certain size wheels and tires will fit on their lowered cars. Maybe you can have a chart with the tire size, car height, and comments columns? But of course, wheel width is also a potential issue...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SIZE............................STOCK HEIGHT........1" DROP.........2" DROP.............COMMENTS
235/35/19....................OK.........................OK.................OK.....................
245/35/19....................OK.........................OK.................OK.....................
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
245/40/19 is perfect. i have some pics of my setup around on here and you'll see they are perfect. i would make the pics out in the open more but punks would be crying about my gap. i'm saving for coils though so riding on stock height right now.

#10 · (Edited)
What Gen Camry (5 or 6) are you planning to put the 350z wheels on? I know for sure on a Gen5 18x8+30 with 245/45/18 you will have rubbing issues. If your car is at stock height it isn't bad until you hit a dip or when the road is uneven you will hear the tires rubbing against the fender. To avoid the rubbing go with 225/40/18 or 225/45/18. Your tire will be tucked in the fender. As far as the rear 18x8.5+33 with a rolled or shaved fender you can put 235/40/18 would do it. :thumbsup: Hope this can help.

#9 ·
they aren't that bad redline. but i kind of have to agree. i wouldn't put nissan rims on my car. try to find some GS 5 spoke 18" rims like lammy had. i believe you should be ok but you might need to roll the fenders. specially if your dropped. lammy will know better than me though.

#11 ·
Ok i would love to get these rims. (no pic of them for now, can't ruin the surprise)

Sizes are
18x8.5 +40 offset 3'' lip
18x9.5 +40 offset 4'' lip

Question is, what tires? I know the lip is outta control but and these are 18s but i am on coilovers and i need a bit more tire. The bolt pattern is 5x114.3 but i have to call and ask about the hub size.

#26 · (Edited)
wtf.. 275... why the hell would anybody want that size lol. Thats plain crazy and looks stupid.

Ok i would love to get these rims. (no pic of them for now, can't ruin the surprise)

Sizes are

18x8.5 +40 offset 3'' lip

18x9.5 +40 offset 4'' lip

Question is, what tires? I know the lip is outta control but and these are 18s but i am on coilovers and i need a bit more tire. The bolt pattern is 5x114.3 but i have to call and ask about the hub size.
I'd consider getting a +5MM spacer. 9.5 +35 BARELY clears the rear struts. BARELY. Less than a thumb. I doubt that 9.5 wide +40 will clear your strut. Also, a 9.5 wide rim w/ +40 offset with a 4 inch lip is unheard of lol. Max I'd say 3.5 inch lip. PM me what rims you are thinking about, because I want to see a 4' lip on a +40 rim :) Just never seen it before, but I may be wrong.

I found 225/40 to be a nice fit for 19s. If you want perfect wheel fitment w/ coils with your sizing, PM gene.

Gene had 18x9.5 rear
18x8.5 front +35 all around. His tires were PERFECT. I just forget what size he had.

His tires were almost perfect. He had help from the tire god, Lammydi.

#12 ·
get 45 no matter what. 50 will be too much. idk if u want more of the lip sticking out or you want a wider tire. if u want wider then do 245/45/18 in front and 275/45/18 in back. if you want more vip/more lip out then 225/45/18 and 245/45/18.

#20 ·
your right. just don't want to get this locked. i think 245 might be a bit too much sidewall according to what your looking for. i have x8.0 with 245 and as you saw i have lots of sidewall. i doubt you'll have much less with x8.5 rim. maybe 235/45/18 in front then and 255/45/18 in back. you can probably do 50 for both sizes too if you want more tire.

#23 ·
ok. i also say do 45. just decide now on width of tires in front and back. if it was me i wouldn't have lip stick out. i would do 245/45/18 in front and 275/45/18 in back. the wider tires help a bit with handling and they just look better to me.

#22 ·
350z 5 spoke wheels will fit gen 6 camry with no rubbing issue as long as you dont go over 235/45/18 on tires. still depends because tires are not always true measurements as per experience.

recomended tire setup for gen 6 camry.

235/45/18 is almost the same size as SE tires.
225/45/18 is a tad smaller than stock. but it will look great on wheels that have 7.5-8.5 width.
235/50/18 YOU WILL BE RIDING DONKEY! LIKE A BROTHA ON A CROWN VIC.

for 17's.

225/50/17 is the closest if you want wide tires and also will go with 7.5-8.5 even 9 width.

2 cents.

#29 ·
@paul - gene had 245/45/18 al around i think. it looks nice and it didn't even stretch that much...

@pawel - do you have proof that tire/rim is 275 @ 9.5 width? coz dude i'm telling you i've been setting up cars for how long and that doesn't justify nothin. unless your getting a rear wide body kit for your camry that's not gonna fit. good luck shaving your tires...

#41 · (Edited)
we'll i never said it'll fit without rubbing. i think moky said something like this once.... you shouldn't pick rims based on how well they fit. you should pick what you want then make it fit. many people on here are willing to pull the fender etc.. to get some nice wide rims/tires in the back.

anyway, redline is not looking for the look the 275 tire would give him. i think he needs to do like 255 in the back and 235 maybe in the front.

#34 ·
is your setup cambered right now? you got 20's right? it's easier to fit wheels on 18 coz you can go stretch the tire to fit it easy on the fender. genes setup was nice he did 245/45/18 on his rear it did rub but hell he was pushing it on angeles crest with a 250 pound guy on the passenger side. :lol:

#43 · (Edited)
yea i kept editing the post between 245 and 255. i think your right that it might be too much stretch. i'll try to find some pics though.

ok heres 265 on a 9.5 in rim(rear) and 235 on a 8.5 in rim(front). i think paul is right to go 245 max because 255 might rub:

thanx again to the person who took the pic and hope it's ok to post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.