03 Camry Starting Problems - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Sotheara's Photo Gallery
03 Camry Starting Problems

I'm new to this forum, and I'm not sure if there's a specific category for me to post this thread, so I decided to post it here. If I posted it in the wrong area, then mods can you move it please? Thanks.

I have an 03 camry, and it won't start. When we try to turn it on it clicks, but there is no crank. My friend said he didn't hear any clicks, but I heard clicks. We tried jump starting, roll starting, cleaning the corrosion off the battery, hitting the starter to give it a crank. None of it works. We're thinking it may be the alternator. There's also a buzzing sound when the key is in the ignition. I'm pretty sure it maybe the alternator or possible the starter. The car has approximately 70,000 miles on it, so it hasn't been driven that much. I'm not sure if mileage has anything to do with the alternator and the starter, since I'm not that familiar with car maintenance. If anyone is willing to give me some possible problems, that would be appreciate it.
Sotheara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $213274
View johnfrisco's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotheara View Post
I'm new to this forum, and I'm not sure if there's a specific category for me to post this thread, so I decided to post it here. If I posted it in the wrong area, then mods can you move it please? Thanks.

I have an 03 camry, and it won't start. When we try to turn it on it clicks, but there is no crank. My friend said he didn't hear any clicks, but I heard clicks. We tried jump starting, roll starting, cleaning the corrosion off the battery, hitting the starter to give it a crank. None of it works. We're thinking it may be the alternator. There's also a buzzing sound when the key is in the ignition. I'm pretty sure it maybe the alternator or possible the starter. The car has approximately 70,000 miles on it, so it hasn't been driven that much. I'm not sure if mileage has anything to do with the alternator and the starter, since I'm not that familiar with car maintenance. If anyone is willing to give me some possible problems, that would be appreciate it.
Well it's not the alternator--it sounds like #1 a bad starter (no crank) or #2 corroded battery cables. That's where I would look first.
johnfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View caonashi's Photo Gallery
same problem

I figured I wouldn't spam the board with my similar problem, and post in here instead.

Recently, it has began raining in my area. My '02 Camry developed a sporadic engine start problem. At random occassions, a week in between or sometimes hours, I would be unable to start my car. By this, I mean that I can turn the key in the ignition (the lights light up perfectly bright) all the way but it doesn't make the crank sounds. No clicking, either. I do see the lights flicker as they usually do, but nothing audibly close to resembling an ignition.

It's hard to say that it's due to the rain, but that's as close to a pattern as I can determine.

My dad replaced the filter (not the cabin one) and cleaned the battery ports. We also cleaned the entire air intake thing (the one with the oxygen chip and the butterfly flap thing) just five months ago. I'm really stumped and it's especially bad that it's randomly occurring.

Thanks in advance!
caonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
2004 Camry LE

Gameroom cash: $119015
View somick's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caonashi View Post
I figured I wouldn't spam the board with my similar problem, and post in here instead.

Recently, it has began raining in my area. My '02 Camry developed a sporadic engine start problem. At random occassions, a week in between or sometimes hours, I would be unable to start my car. By this, I mean that I can turn the key in the ignition (the lights light up perfectly bright) all the way but it doesn't make the crank sounds. No clicking, either. I do see the lights flicker as they usually do, but nothing audibly close to resembling an ignition.

It's hard to say that it's due to the rain, but that's as close to a pattern as I can determine.

My dad replaced the filter (not the cabin one) and cleaned the battery ports. We also cleaned the entire air intake thing (the one with the oxygen chip and the butterfly flap thing) just five months ago. I'm really stumped and it's especially bad that it's randomly occurring.

Thanks in advance!
It is a good idea to start your own thread if you have a problem!

I would start with new or known good battery.

Sam
2010 Subaru Forester
somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

I would start my own thread, but I read the sticky and some other posts complaining about people not using the search to find similar/same problems already posted.

I had replaced my battery nearly five months ago and had it tested today. Everything checks out fine.

Of course, my luck was that it would be sunny today (in socal), and as such no car troubles having me look like a paranoid customer.

Last edited by caonashi; 12-14-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
2004 Camry LE

Gameroom cash: $119015
View somick's Photo Gallery
Do you hear any sound when you turn your key to "ON" position. It might be your starter motor. Give it a little tap when the key is in the "ON" position and no start occurs.

Do a search for a "starter contacts replacement" and you will get a lot of info.

Good luck,

Sam
2010 Subaru Forester

Last edited by somick; 12-14-2009 at 05:35 PM.
somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

thanks semyonlibman.

i'll give it a try and update this thread for future users. my dad did read that somewhere, that a tap or two might do something.

is it supposed to knock the condensation/water droplets out?

when i turn it, i hear next to no sounds in the cabin; however, my dad listened to the hood as I turned the key to ON and said he heard a mosquito like buzz only. i wonder if that's any useful.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
I Want My MPG

View sn1cko's Photo Gallery
Gen5

Quote:
thanks semyonlibman.

i'll give it a try and update this thread for future users. my dad did read that somewhere, that a tap or two might do something.

is it supposed to knock the condensation/water droplets out?

when i turn it, i hear next to no sounds in the cabin; however, my dad listened to the hood as I turned the key to ON and said he heard a mosquito like buzz only. i wonder if that's any useful.
I just ran into the problem. Yesterday around noon, the car hesitated to start (heard maybe two cranks then stopped; tried again and it started) and took two attempts to get the car started. Then in the evening, starting the car was fine before heading to the mall; wouldn't start or make any noise when we were ready to leave. However, with the key to ON, I also hear the light humming sound, but no cranks or anything else. Battery, headlights, stereo, are all fine. Towed my car home for now I have an '02 LE V6 (1mzfe) with about 85k miles.

Next is to check out the starter solenoid/motor =/

Last edited by sn1cko; 12-19-2009 at 12:44 AM.
sn1cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

I took my car into a family member's shop today. The guys popped it open and immediately checked the batt, which was new. They figured that it was simply a starter replacement (its whereabouts I do not know, sorry).

I also had to replace my timing belt (90000+ miles) and one of those chambers/sensors needed to be cleaned out. Just for your information.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $461927
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View LoudCamry's Photo Gallery
if your were to change your timing belt, should just do water pump, cam seals , crank seal and all the other 90k service.
LoudCamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $150336
View AlmightyCamry777's Photo Gallery
the light humming sound you heard was no doubt your fuel pump. (Its located in the fuel tank which in turn is located under the rear seat.) That of course meant it's getting power, so you know your battery had some juice left.
For starting issues involving no crank, check these

- battery (voltage and load test if possible - 12.6volts or higher is usually a good battery), if battery test is not possible right now, try a jump start, if that works the problem is battery and/or possibly dead or dying alternator, or maybe just a loose belt.

-if you have a non-sealed battery (forget what it says on top, if it has caps you can remove it ain't sealed no matter what they say), pop the caps on it and check the cells with a hydrometer for one or more dead cells (alot of auto parts have a cheap tester contraption for a dollar).

Hopefully the battery tests good, so while you are at it, add distilled water to the cells if they are low - you will see the "bubble" when you have added water to the correct level (not all the way to the top).

-check for loose or dirty clamps (you might be amazed at the effect even slightly loose or dirty clamps can have on whether the car starts or not).

-Bang on the starter solenoid (it sticks out on the right - driver-side of engine, on top, the solenoid is the small can shaped thing on top of the starter and attached to it) several times with some solid metal object such as a large socket extension and try to start it. If it now starts, you need a starter.

Last edited by AlmightyCamry777; 12-19-2009 at 09:59 AM.
AlmightyCamry777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

My cousin, the mechanic, told me to also knock on the starter if it was problematic. He simply replaced the starter along with the other 90K+ maintenance. Since the replacement, all is well and near to perfect.

That said, I am still unsure if anything else contributed to the problem. If anyone feels they have a similiar problem, this thread should prove useful- it's likely the battery; and if not, it's the starter.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $213274
View johnfrisco's Photo Gallery
Quote:
My cousin, the mechanic, told me to also knock on the starter if it was problematic. He simply replaced the starter along with the other 90K+ maintenance. Since the replacement, all is well and near to perfect.

That said, I am still unsure if anything else contributed to the problem. If anyone feels they have a similiar problem, this thread should prove useful- it's likely the battery; and if not, it's the starter.
Yeah that's what I told you on December 11th.
johnfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

simply an affirmation for non-believers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)