Wiring foglights for camry LE gen 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 Wiring foglights for camry LE gen 6

I've been searching on TN and google, but I don't see any instructions of how to wire aftermarket foglights for Camry LE gen 6. I just got a foglights kit on ebay, and I'm gonna try to install it myself. I can install the foglights to the bumper, but what I don't know is how to do the wiring. I want it to be off when I lock the car without pressing the switch. I let my headlights on and off automatically, so I never turn on/off my headlights. Is it possible to wire the foglights that way? I haven't checked to see if my car has prewire or not, but the kit that I bought comes with everything. Do you guys have a circuit diagram of the camry gen 6 or know where to get one? Please give me some advice! Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 PM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
You can wire them to the headlights.

#3 Old 12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline_Me View Post
You can wire them to the headlights.
isn't that bad for the headlight wire because it has to handle double current
#4 Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Twin & (1 of 8)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotori View Post
isn't that bad for the headlight wire because it has to handle double current
I think the reference was only for the coil of the relay. The contacts of the relay and fog lamps should be wired through a fuse to the battery.

If the coil only was wired to the low and high beams the results would be:

1) low beams only on = fogs on
2) low and high beams on = no fogs
3) DRL (reduced high beam) on = fogs on
4) no headlights on = no fogs

To clarify the above connection, one wire of the coil to the low beam circuit, the other wire of the coil to the high beam circuit.

As long as either lamp is on the relay will pull, turning on the fog lamps.

Both low beam and high beam headlamps on, the coil will see 12v on both ends, and no current will flow and the relay will be off.

No switch will be needed inside, totally automatic.

2011 XLE, I4, AT, Sliver, New May 2, 2010
MFG 02/25/2010
Accident w/frame damage, got rid of car.
No Toyota in possession, now.

Last edited by Luna2; 12-13-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Seperate low beam correct log to long
The Following User Says Thank You to Luna2 For This Useful Post:
torreto (07-03-2013)
#5 Old 12-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna2 View Post
I think the reference was only for the coil of the relay. The contacts of the relay and fog lamps should be wired through a fuse to the battery.

To clarify the above connection, one wire of the coil to the low beamcircuit, the other wire of the coil to the high beam circuit.

As log as either lamp is on the relay will pull, turning on the fog lamps.

Both low beam and high beam headlamps on, the coil will see 12v on both ends, and no current will flow and the relay will be off.

ya, that's what I want. There's only one problem is that I always let the DRL on since I set the switch to auto, so it's kinda weird if the DRL and the foglights are on in the middle of the day

I just checked my car, and it's apparently prewired foglights. I don't know if this is a good new or not. I've read somewhere on here is that we can only use the prewire if we get the turn signal stalk with foglights. Is that true? Where can I get that stalk? Can we use the prewire without the stalk? Thanks

Last edited by kotori; 12-13-2009 at 02:34 PM.
#6 Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Might be SCRAPING soon...

hey thats what i have
Fogs

i guess ill do a diy asap lol been meaning to do this but never got to it

2009 Camry LE
Barcelona Red
Mods: rx-afs Retrofit, Independent Fogs, Lumincs 2500k fogs and drl/highbeams, 35% tint all around, 5% strip on front windshield indash Nav
Want: Coils, wheels, LED tails
#7 Old 12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtagn View Post
hey thats what i have
Fogs

i guess ill do a diy asap lol been meaning to do this but never got to it
I got it for $60 shipped on ebay
#8 Old 12-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Twin & (1 of 8)

Quote:
ya, that's what I want. There's only one problem is that I always let the DRL on since I set the switch to auto, so it's kinda weird if the DRL and the foglights are on in the middle of the day

I just checked my car, and it's apparently prewired foglights. I don't know if this is a good new or not. I've read somewhere on here is that we can only use the prewire if we get the turn signal stalk with foglights. Is that true? Where can I get that stalk? Can we use the prewire without the stalk? Thanks

The prewire may not be complete. There was one case that it was missing between the factory fuse block area and the switch.

Switches are available from the dealer and other sources on the web, there is a difference between the Japan and Kentucky made vehicles, look for the XLE version of the switch.

Simple solution, install a IN4004 diode between the relay and the wire to the high beam connection. Put the band end on the high beam wire end, as such ( relay coil end ------>]------- high beam end ), now the fogs will only work if the low beams are on by themselves.

Note: Only numbers 1,2 & 4 in the folowing will work with the diode installed.

MFG 02/25/2010

Last edited by Luna2; 12-13-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: More Info.
#9 Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
One with the force

Quote:

To clarify the above connection, one wire of the coil to the low beamcircuit, the other wire of the coil to the high beam circuit.

As log as either lamp is on the relay will pull, turning on the fog lamps.

Exactly. Maybe i should have been more clear. You want it connected to the low beams so they turn on and off with them but the power comes from the battery. I wanted to control mine so i just used the switch.

#10 Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The prewire may not be complete. There was one case that it was missing between the factory fuse block area and the switch.

Switches are available from the dealer and other sources on the web, there is a difference between the Japan and Kentucky made vehicles, look for the XLE version of the switch.

Simple solution, install a IN4004 diode between the relay and the wire to the high beam connection. Put the band end on the high beam wire end, as such ( relay coil end ------>]------- high beam end ), now the fogs will only work if the low beams are on by themselves.

Note: Only numbers 1,2 & 4 in the folowing will work with the diode installed.

that sound like a great idea. I can also switch the fog light off with this setup right since the switch is attached with the harness.
Here's the picture of the relay, could you tell me which wire connect to which? sorry I'm very new to this stuffs, I only good with computers . Thank you for all your help
#11 Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Might be SCRAPING soon...

Gen6

DIY: How to install and wire aftermarket fog lights on a gen6

I nor ToyotaNation or any of the members who provided DIY/Tutorials are responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle when following the information provided.

How to install the fog lights onto the bumper
However one of the steps on there is wrong

Those tabs should be underneath and tucked in that piece not outside

K now for wiring

I had to cut the wire and make it longer and it is shown where i cut in this photo, and two plugs had to be cut off

at the black arrow, i cut it off and added a good amount of wire so i can weave through the engine bay and through the firewall with one wire, so it would make my life so much easier and at the two circles, cut those bad boys off, no female slots for them on this car.

pass the wire through the firewall from the engine bay into the car which is located behind the steering wheel, way up in the dark, not a great picture but this is what it looks like from the inside

now leave your wire for now, now you have to take apart your car
First take out this piece

Then take out this cover by unscrewing the bolt with your hand

after you take out the cover it should look like this, and you have to take this bolt out with a 10mm

Now pry down the cover and be careful of the tabs

The red arrow points to what is going next, that black tape is what i did after the wiring...there is tape there before hand, but i had to remove it so it all looked oem and didn't look like i messed with it fyi: do not unplug these wires!! something might happen just take a pair of pliers and strip the wire some and solder or wrap around (i advise solder)

Now, you are going to have to remove that rubber tape and splice into the red wire (which is, to make sure, the top left red wire with some grey/silverish stripes every now and then) with the red wire that you cut the plug off of earlier RED not WHITE

Now with your WHITE wire, you are going to splice it with a red wire that is at the wayyyy top, it was hard to reach this one, but you'll find it, its all by itself

that red wire is like the only one by itself, it was hard to get a clear picture and in the video its hard to get too, no light and my brother had a hard time with the flashlight but you'll get it

if any questions, just pm me, and yes i know this isn't the safest thing ever, but give me a break, at least i tried and i did not want to splice it in the engine bay

OH and the ground, one ground is at the front of the engine, i grounded it to the bolt that is behind the drivers side headlight...and the second one is in the car, you'll see it when you take off the cover

2009 Camry LE
Barcelona Red
Mods: rx-afs Retrofit, Independent Fogs, Lumincs 2500k fogs and drl/highbeams, 35% tint all around, 5% strip on front windshield indash Nav
Want: Coils, wheels, LED tails

Last edited by rtagn; 12-13-2009 at 04:45 PM.
#12 Old 12-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Twin & (1 of 8)

Quote:

Quote:
that sound like a great idea. I can also switch the fog light off with this setup right since the switch is attached with the harness.
Here's the picture of the relay, could you tell me which wire connect to which? sorry I'm very new to this stuffs, I only good with computers . Thank you for all your help
Number 3 and 4 are the coil.

The black wire with the loop/slot is the ground for the coil.
The grey connector is the +12v that routes through the fog switch to the other side of the coil.

Attach the wire in the grey connector to the low beam (the light in the switch will activate withe the low beam light). You will have to separate the switch black wire from the relay black wire which is spliced inside the harness. Then ground the switch only black wire.

Warning.... DO NOT leave the 2 black wires connected between the switch and the relay then ground one and connect the other to the high beam lamp, you will pop that fuse.

The relays black wire goes to the high beam. If you only want the fogs on for just the low beams, install the diode in the high beam black wire with the band toward the high beam light.

With this setup, the light will be on in the switch (if on/activated) when the low beams are on (all the time at night). When the high beam bulbs are on, the relay will be off (High Beam/Flash & DRL).

MFG 02/25/2010
#13 Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Twin & (1 of 8)

The best place to tap the head lights without any splices is to use these http://www.amazon.com/Pico-1593PT-Electrical-Terminal-Package/dp/B00030CR4E
(or something like it) in the under hood fuse box (it's reversible).

Be sure to us it on the head light side not the battery side......

MFG 02/25/2010
#14 Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you all so much. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes
#15 Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 AM
I got a kangaroo as a pet

rtagn; just to confirm, sorry if youve mentioned it somewhere and i missed it, but is your DIY installation useful for models that are not prewired for foglights? If not, you wouldnt know what steps i do not need to undertake in your DIY if the foggies are prewired would you?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)