Official: 2002-2006 Camry 2.4 Liter 2AZFE Stripped Head Bolt Thread - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-19-2008, 10:11 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Official: 2002-2006 Camry 2.4 Liter 2AZFE Stripped Head Bolt Thread

EDIT: This Thread will now be used for all issues related to this topic. Thank you!!!!!!


- HardtopTE72







Hello. Hope I can explain this correctly as I am not mechanically inclined. But this is my understanding:

I have a 2003 Camry LE with about 75K miles on it. Performed all service as outlined in the booklet that comes with the car.

My car started overheating. It was leaking coolant like crazy. Took it to the mechanic and he couldn't find the leak because the manifold was blocking the view. After he removed it he said that it was the head gasket. He also said that he had never seen anything like it. That it wasn't a result of the overheating because it was leaking externally instead of internally (I hope that makes sense). Also when they took off the bolts, that something happened to the threads? And that they had to rebuild the threads and then test if they could handle the pressure?

I just don't understand how this could happen. He said that it wasn't anything that I did and it was some kind of defect or something. That he would try to help me talk with Toyota and see if they would cover some of the cost because of the strange circumstances on why the head gasket was leaking...

Does any of this make sense???

Last edited by hardtopte72; 10-23-2014 at 01:19 PM.
monael is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Sedan Life
 
CharmCityES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bumfuck, MD
Posts: 5,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by monael View Post
Hello. Hope I can explain this correctly as I am not mechanically inclined. But this is my understanding:

I have a 2003 Camry LE with about 75K miles on it. Performed all service as outlined in the booklet that comes with the car.

My car started overheating. It was leaking coolant like crazy. Took it to the mechanic and he couldn't find the leak because the manifold was blocking the view. After he removed it he said that it was the head gasket. He also said that he had never seen anything like it. That it wasn't a result of the overheating because it was leaking externally instead of internally (I hope that makes sense). Also when they took off the bolts, that something happened to the threads? And that they had to rebuild the threads and then test if they could handle the pressure?

I just don't understand how this could happen. He said that it wasn't anything that I did and it was some kind of defect or something. That he would try to help me talk with Toyota and see if they would cover some of the cost because of the strange circumstances on why the head gasket was leaking...

Does any of this make sense???
ive seen headgaskets go on gen 5 4cyl (2az-fe) camrys before....but most of the time it stems from an issue such as overheating due to a front end collision, loss of coolant, which causes the head to warp and blow the headgasket....i have never heard of it occuring out of the blue


2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."
CharmCityES is offline  
#3 Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: los angeles
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply.

I was asking mainly because I saw from my little research that there was a recall several years back on a Toyota model for head gasket problems. I was wondering if anyone had heard of possible 2003 model Camry's possibly having a similar situation. Just wishful thinking I guess, because this is an expensive repair that seems like it shouldn't have happened.
monael is offline  
#4 Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Sedan Life
 
CharmCityES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bumfuck, MD
Posts: 5,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
yes it shouldent have happened....i have a 2003 SE and my car has 55k and no issues with anything....i keep up on all maintenence with all oem toyota fluids and parts, but i do still drive it pretty hard


2003 CWP Lexus ES300 - MCV30 - 1MZ-FE
"I'm the dude, man."
CharmCityES is offline  
#5 Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
This is pretty weird but I just heard from my mechanic that I have the exact same problem with my Camry. I have a 2003 LE as well with mileage in the mid 80's. I could've typed your exact post almost verbatim. He said it was leaking externally as well. When they ran a straight edge across the block to see if there was warping they found that it was perfectly straight. That is when they realized the problem was with the bolts and where they are situated in the block. Still researching my course of action but I'd be curious to see what your solution is here.
tn315 is offline  
#6 Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kitchener,Ontario, CAN
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Gen5

Just happen to me this past week. We found that head bolts loosen up and kill the threads. the head gasket was in good shape. My Mechanic is trying to use heli-coils to fix the problem. The bolts are 11mm with 1.5 pitch. We found VW head kit from Heli-coil. Hopefully it works!
Vector_In is offline  
#7 Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector_In View Post
Just happen to me this past week. We found that head bolts loosen up and kill the threads. the head gasket was in good shape. My Mechanic is trying to use heli-coils to fix the problem. The bolts are 11mm with 1.5 pitch. We found VW head kit from Heli-coil. Hopefully it works!
I know im new to this forum and for some reason people dont think that i know anything about toyotas for some reason but i have some answers for you. It is infact the threads in the block that are causing this problem not the bolts and the head should not be damaged. what happens as the threads give out and while driving the head starts to lift up from the block allowing the coolant passage to leak out the back side of the block, and that is why it is not actually a bad headgasket. explaining why the mechanics that you have talked to find it strange that it is leaking externally and not internally. Im not sure if heli-coils will work its worth a shot i guess but most people have had to replace the short block. if i were you i would call the toyota customer service line and talk with them for assistance. specially if you have done all of your maintenances. More than likely they will help you out. hope this helps everyone!
08 SILVER SE is offline  
#8 Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: california
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 SILVER SE View Post
I know im new to this forum and for some reason people dont think that i know anything about toyotas for some reason but i have some answers for you. It is infact the threads in the block that are causing this problem not the bolts and the head should not be damaged. what happens as the threads give out and while driving the head starts to lift up from the block allowing the coolant passage to leak out the back side of the block, and that is why it is not actually a bad headgasket. explaining why the mechanics that you have talked to find it strange that it is leaking externally and not internally. Im not sure if heli-coils will work its worth a shot i guess but most people have had to replace the short block. if i were you i would call the toyota customer service line and talk with them for assistance. specially if you have done all of your maintenances. More than likely they will help you out. hope this helps everyone!
trust me man, it's not you...
james399 is offline  
#9 Old 04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I have a VERY similar problem with my 2003 Camry 4cl with 86k. For me it was oil leaking near cylinder 4 around the head gasket. When I got the valve cover off I checked the head bolt (#7 in Haynes) above the leak. The bolt didn't feel right (would turn both ways with not too much effort). I tore the whole thing down and found the threads stripped out of the block, but a reasonably good head gasket. (no obvious issues). I believe that the gasket failed due to the failure of the head bolt.

I am going to attempt to fix this thread with Helicoil #1130 kit, made specifically for this repair. Here is the question, do I Helicoil ALL 10 head bolts? I would appreciate some expert opinions on what to do? I am ASE certified and have done several head jobs before, but never with a Helicoil.
Chriswojo is offline  
#10 Old 04-02-2008, 07:10 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kitchener,Ontario, CAN
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My Mechanic try last week! It failed after 4 hours of running. you could try but i think it will also fail. Sorry, that's information i have for now.
Vector_In is offline  
#11 Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: california
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector_In View Post
My Mechanic try last week! It failed after 4 hours of running. you could try but i think it will also fail. Sorry, that's information i have for now.
is this a common problem on gen 5's, is it unique to a year? should i be periodically torquing down my head?

i have 92k miles... on an 02
james399 is offline  
#12 Old 04-03-2008, 10:51 AM
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
 
TRD VVTi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Gen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswojo View Post
I am going to attempt to fix this thread with Helicoil #1130 kit, made specifically for this repair. Here is the question, do I Helicoil ALL 10 head bolts? I would appreciate some expert opinions on what to do? I am ASE certified and have done several head jobs before, but never with a Helicoil.
Properly installed Helicoils will work perfectly. Do all the holes for the head bolts. It wouldn't make sense not to. Make sure that you have a fixture that allows you to drill and tap the holes properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james399
should i be periodically torquing down my head?
No. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke...


2006 Camry LE Special Edition
My Camry and my Formula are here: http://www.cardomain.com/id/1995RAMAIR

Last edited by TRD VVTi; 04-03-2008 at 11:26 AM.
TRD VVTi is offline  
#13 Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: arkansas
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I wonder if it is just a possibility of making engine blocks out of recycled beer cans, I mean aluminium.

2008 camry se 2.4l manual
2003 tundra
2002 chaparral 196ssi 5.0efi
1995 chevrolet tahoe 4x4
mybuddytmil is offline  
#14 Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Official TN Member
 
ShawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wonderfull, something else to look forward to. Cadillac had this problem with the northstar engines in the 97-2001 range. The head bolts would work loose and damage the threads in the block. The repair was to helicoil the block. We have 96K on ours so far. I hope it hangs on till we can get rid of it in a few years.

--Shawn

03 Camry LE
97 Lincoln MarkVIII LSC
67 Mustang
ShawnM is offline  
#15 Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thank you to everyone for your input.
ShawnM, did you replace all threads with Helicoil on your caddy or just the 1-2?

TRD, It looks like you have done styling mods to your Camry, but have you torn into the engine? Any issues with head bolts, or have you tried head studs? I am not sure if they would help in my case, but I was thinking studs would remove the heat and torsion from the block and only put the threads in tension.

I will drill and tap per best practice.
Chriswojo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome