VVTI-Recall for Camry? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Might be SCRAPING soon...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
So the oil line is only for the v6 correct? and you dont have to wait for the letter if you know you fall under the category for recall, just say i feel unsafe in my car and i want to set an appointment to fix this situation as soon as possible, then they should be more inclined at helping, and if they don't, tell them they are held responsible for not fixing the situation when it can be. Some jerk dealerships will do that. Remeber, this is your car, your life, and they need to tend to your needs because you are their customer!

2009 Camry LE
Barcelona Red
Mods: rx-afs Retrofit, Independent Fogs, Lumincs 2500k fogs and drl/highbeams, 35% tint all around, 5% strip on front windshield indash Nav
Want: Coils, wheels, LED tails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtagn View Post
So the oil line is only for the v6 correct? and you dont have to wait for the letter if you know you fall under the category for recall, just say i feel unsafe in my car and i want to set an appointment to fix this situation as soon as possible, then they should be more inclined at helping, and if they don't, tell them they are held responsible for not fixing the situation when it can be. Some jerk dealerships will do that. Remeber, this is your car, your life, and they need to tend to your needs because you are their customer!
V6 only
Just call, give them your Vehicle ID number and scheduale the recall repair.
they will have the information.
#18 Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 PM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycobillly View Post
Just got rid of an '06 Avalon, I don't know if the camry uses the 3.5 engine. If it does the oil line is not the only place the oil will leak from. That engine will also leak from the top of the timing cover/assembly. I had both of these problems. When I asked my dealership about it I was told "That will happen". Also both of these times the oil light NEVER came on. The first time the case went dry, the second time I lost 3 quarts, but never a light.
Your dealer is probably right. You probably had a bad oil seal(s) which may be common on this engine.
#19 Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM
New TN User

The leaks are noted in two separate TSB's. However according to Cramer's Toyota's service department "You have an extended warranty don't you?" The last seal went at 64000 miles........4000 miles outside of the power train warranty.
#20 Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM

I can only wonder if the reinforced rubber fix..will it last for the life of the car...
for me the life of a car is 300,000 miles.
#21 Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycobillly View Post
Just got rid of an '06 Avalon, I don't know if the camry uses the 3.5 engine. If it does the oil line is not the only place the oil will leak from. That engine will also leak from the top of the timing cover/assembly. I had both of these problems. When I asked my dealership about it I was told "That will happen". Also both of these times the oil light NEVER came on. The first time the case went dry, the second time I lost 3 quarts, but never a light.
The rubber hose on the VVTi that fails is behind the "timing cover". Both leaks are probably because of the hose failure.

roo
#22 Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
ghz
Official TN Member

My dealer's service department only replaces the rubber part (improved rubber/clamps). Is there any way to appeal this to Toyota and ask for an all metal line to be installed?

-G
#23 Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghz View Post
My dealer's service department only replaces the rubber part (improved rubber/clamps). Is there any way to appeal this to Toyota and ask for an all metal line to be installed?

-G
Offer to pay for the parts, well worth it and it will fit.

roo
#24 Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
ghz
Official TN Member

I'll certainly try, but I doubt they will go for it. There is much more labor involved in replacing the whole line versus just replacing a piece of rubber.

-G
#25 Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM
New TN User

My labor charge was $100.00 less 10%. It looks like removing the "timing gear cover" is a good part of the job. I think this has to be removed even if they just replace the hose. My dealer just had the metal line as they said there had been such a demand for the "improved" line with the rubber center piece they couldn't get any. Doesn't hurt to ask.

roo
#26 Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
A Toyota's a Toyota

I checked the NEW HOSE and the NEW CLAMPS at the dealer's and it's the same as what is on my V6 Camry now. So they must have either changed it before I purchased it (doubt it) or it was fixed on the assembly line with the new reinforced hose. But I spoke with my service tech manager (who is a friend) and he said, I kid you not. Don't worry about it because i have an extended warranty through 2014. He said if it goes, drive the car until the engine seizes and they'll gladly replace the whole thing at Toyota's expense. We'll see what happens. 38,000 miles so far and no problems yet.

If I don't experience a failure than I will pay to have the metal line put on just before my warranty expires...then I should be set.

2008 Black Camry XLE V6 (Mine)
2009 Silver Highlander Sport 4WD V6 (wife)
2010 White Corolla XRS (Son's)
I always get stuck driving the "old" cars..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)