Toyota Nation Forum banner

VVTI-Recall for Camry?

10K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  eskymi 
#1 ·
Took the wife's car in for the gas pedal recall. Well the service advisor said they are recalling the VVTi oil line on the Camry's as well. Smart of Toyota to slide that in now instead of fighting more bad publicity down the road.

#3 ·
Since I was in the dealer last week and asked about it and they said there was no recall on the Camrys I thought that was new issue. Since the news hasn't mentioned one word of it in regards to the other two recalls on the car I figure it is new info. I am not sure how they are handling it GA, but here in the DFW area they originally said the recall would be done all at once. That is not the case and you will have to bring the car back for further recall repairs. For some more details the temperature was approximately 48 degrees Fahrenheit, winds were light about 3mph from the west/northwest. barometric pressure was rising. Service advisor was pleasant even though the dealership was very busy. She was a white female proximately 29 yrs of age, blonde, five feet four inches tall. Offered a loaner car and said the work should be completed today.

Reactions: Post No Billz
#4 ·
Since I was in the dealer last week and asked about it and they said there was no recall on the Camrys I thought that was new issue. Since the news hasn't mentioned one word of it in regards to the other two recalls on the car I figure it is new info. I am not sure how they are handling it GA, but here in the DFW area they originally said the recall would be done all at once. That is not the case and you will have to bring the car back for further recall repairs. For some more details the temperature was approximately 48 degrees Fahrenheit, winds were light about 3mph from the west/northwest. barometric pressure was rising. Service advisor was pleasant even though the dealership was very busy. She was a white female proximately 29 yrs of age, blonde, five feet four inches tall. Offered a loaner car and said the work should be completed today.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

#7 ·
Just talked to the CR manager at our Toyota, she was originally going to talk to the district service manager regarding getting a preemptive fix for our Camry. I asked her to look at the most recent recall notice and she noticed this recall. She confirmed with the local service manager and he said that it was the VVTI line.

Can anyone else confirm this?

G
#8 · (Edited)
confirmed!!!!!!!!!! it will just be a reinforced rubber piece, NOT the all metal part....I have an appoint ment next week for the work, but I have the service manager installing the all metal line instead at my cost of the parts $28.

but the labor wil be charge to Toyota under the recall.

#11 ·
My service writer told me that they would replace the oil line with solid metal, not the rubber tube. May be a matter of good will but they want it in soon so it doesn't fail and blow the engine. Six months ago when I asked about this they told me not to worry about it.

#15 ·
Just got rid of an '06 Avalon, I don't know if the camry uses the 3.5 engine. If it does the oil line is not the only place the oil will leak from. That engine will also leak from the top of the timing cover/assembly. I had both of these problems. When I asked my dealership about it I was told "That will happen". Also both of these times the oil light NEVER came on. The first time the case went dry, the second time I lost 3 quarts, but never a light.

#16 ·
So the oil line is only for the v6 correct? and you dont have to wait for the letter if you know you fall under the category for recall, just say i feel unsafe in my car and i want to set an appointment to fix this situation as soon as possible, then they should be more inclined at helping, and if they don't, tell them they are held responsible for not fixing the situation when it can be. Some jerk dealerships will do that. Remeber, this is your car, your life, and they need to tend to your needs because you are their customer!

#25 ·
My labor charge was $100.00 less 10%. It looks like removing the "timing gear cover" is a good part of the job. I think this has to be removed even if they just replace the hose. My dealer just had the metal line as they said there had been such a demand for the "improved" line with the rubber center piece they couldn't get any. Doesn't hurt to ask.

#26 ·
I checked the NEW HOSE and the NEW CLAMPS at the dealer's and it's the same as what is on my V6 Camry now. So they must have either changed it before I purchased it (doubt it) or it was fixed on the assembly line with the new reinforced hose. But I spoke with my service tech manager (who is a friend) and he said, I kid you not. Don't worry about it because i have an extended warranty through 2014. He said if it goes, drive the car until the engine seizes and they'll gladly replace the whole thing at Toyota's expense. We'll see what happens. 38,000 miles so far and no problems yet.

If I don't experience a failure than I will pay to have the metal line put on just before my warranty expires...then I should be set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.