2007 Camry Sun Visor Problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2007 Camry Sun Visor Problem

Hi, I'm new. My driver side visor is not functioning and a danger as it is. Dealer says it will be $150-$200 to replace! I've tried velcro, duct tape, nothing works - any suggestions? It seems this is a problem for many - as 2007 is not old, and normal wear, are there any recalls? I have been a loyal toy. customer - but this is making me rethink who I will buy my next car from esp. with all the other recent issues! Can I trust buying parts from outside dealership to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballmom View Post
Hi, I'm new. My driver side visor is not functioning and a danger as it is. Dealer says it will be $150-$200 to replace! I've tried velcro, duct tape, nothing works - any suggestions? It seems this is a problem for many - as 2007 is not old, and normal wear, are there any recalls? I have been a loyal toy. customer - but this is making me rethink who I will buy my next car from esp. with all the other recent issues! Can I trust buying parts from outside dealership to work?
It doesn't block the sun? The sun is going through the visor?
#3 Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

If you did a search you would find a TSB for loose sun visor mounts which may be your problem but you didn't state a problem............
#4 Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Go camry goooooo

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
what is the problem exactly?

11/19/2007 Gen 6 08 Camry SE.

Rockland Toyota / Scion Showdown 4.0 Sept 26th
#5 Old 05-22-2010, 10:25 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsCam View Post
what is the problem exactly?
The visor won't stay up if flops down and is difficult to see to drive. It can't
be moved to the side either, as it is broken at the top.
#6 Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 PM
'07 XLE

Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballmom View Post
The visor won't stay up if flops down and is difficult to see to drive. It can't
be moved to the side either, as it is broken at the top.
Then you got your answer in my last post.................
#7 Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
See our V6? I wish...

This is the thread njerald made regarding (possibly) loose mounts that he wanted you to find:

T-SB-0284-09 August 21, 2009 Sunvisor Mount Loose

To address your recall question, apparently there was an all-weather floormat recall similiar to the recent one (before they found out it wasn't the carpet).

Recall Reason EQUIPMENT
Recall Date SEP 26, 2007
Model Affected CAMRY
Potential Units Affected 55000

Recall Summary
CERTAIN ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS (AWFM) SPECIFICALLY SOLD AS AN OPTIONAL ACCESSORY FOR USE ON THE 2007 AND 2008 MODEL YEAR LEXUS ES350 AND TOYOTA CAMRY VEHICLES. THE AWFM INCLUDES TWO GROMMET HOLES AND RETAINING HOOKS (CLIPS) TO SECURE THE MAT TO THE VEHICLE'S CARPET. IF THE AWFM IS NOT SECURED BY ITSELF OR IF IT IS PLACED ON TOP OF AN EXISTING CARPETING FLOOR MAT, THE MAT COULD MOVE FORWARD DURING THE VEHICLE USAGE AND IT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL.

Consequence
THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY TEMPORARILY BECOME STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION WHEN RETURNING TO THE IDLE POSITION. IF THIS CONDITION OCCURS, IT MAY INCREASE THE POSSIBILITY OF A CRASH.

Remedy
TOYOTA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF ALL 2007 AND 2008 LEXUS ES350 AND TOYOTA CAMRY VEHICLES ABOUT THE RECALL EVEN THOUGH NOT ALL OF THESE OWNERS WILL HAVE PURCHASED THE ALL WEATHER MATS. IF THE OWNER HAD NOT PURCHASED THE MATS, THEY ARE NOT AFFECTED BY THE RECALL. THIS LETTER WILL ADVISE OWNERS WHEN REPLACEMENT MATS WILL BE AVAILABLE OR HOW TO RETURN THE ALL WEATHER FLOOR MAT SET TO OBTAIN A REFUND. A SECOND LETTER WILL BE SENT AFTER MATS ARE AVAILABLE REQUESTING OWNERS TO RETURN THEIR MATS TO A LEXUS OR TOYOTA DEALER FOR EXCHANGE OF THE DRIVER'S SIDE MAT. THE FIRST LETTER IS EXPECTED TO BE SENT DURING EARLY OCTOBER 2007 AND THE SECOND IN LATE NOVEMBER 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT THE LEXUS CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-255-3987 OR THE TOYOTA CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER AT 1-888-270-9371.

Notes
TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. 7LB/ 70F

http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...mry/index.html

Hope it solves your problem. If it doesn't, try being more specific so we can better understand your situation.

I always say, the way a man treats his car is how he treats himself.
You take care of the car and the car will take care of you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tht1gurl For This Useful Post:
desentrix (06-04-2010), TrailDust (05-22-2010)
#8 Old 05-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Baby's got a new skirt

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Over rated....wear sunglasses!

lol. Hopefully you can get to the dealer and get it fixed.
#9 Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
07 Magnetic Gray Camry SE

I am having the same issue, It is not the bracket that mounts to the roof, it is the peice that goes into the sunvisor itself. it seems to have come out of its "slot" and now the visor will not stay up... is the only option to fix this, is to go to the dealership? or is there an aftermarket oem replacement for the visor.

<<07 Magnetic Gray Camry SE>> Mine
<<05 Red Pontiac Vibe>>((made by toyota)) Wife's
<<05 Blue Corolla>> Mom's
#10 Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Maven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Checking the parts lists, it seems that a new visor is about $76, so it might be easier to order a new one and install it than spend your time arguing with the service manager. If it is within the 36/36 warranty and has not been abused, they should and would replace it without question. Beyond that might require time at the dealer. Time is money. It doesn't take much aggravation and you have blown through $76.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
#11 Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM
New TN User

temporary fix

saw this forum last night trying to figure out what to do about the same problem in my 2007 Camry. The driver side sun visor was drooping down and wouldn't stay up. Here is what I tried.

I took down the sun visor first (instructions here: http://www.toyotapart.com/SUNVISOR_-...SB-0093-09.pdf).

I pulled out a couple of the stitches on the fabric covering the sun visor along the top and side where the arm enters. I then pulled out the arm/bracket from the sun visor - the sun visor plastic was cracked and deformed. The bracket arm has a metal tab that rotates around and keeps friction on the arm, so that the visor stays in place when dropped down. But it looks like all the torque eventually causes the plastic clips on the sun visor to pop apart, ruining the visor and causing it to droop. If you twist the tab, you can find the locked position where the visor is flush against the roof.

I tried to lubricate the rotating metal tab with some silicone grease, but it remained really tight. So I resorted to brute force and got out the hammer and pliers and pounded the tab open a little bit, to decrease the friction. I squeezed it back into the sun visor (the tab should point down, into the body of the visor).

Then I used a large binding clip for paper (from the office supply store) to clip across the visor where the arm is - this helps to counteract the torque from the tab and keep it from popping back out of the visor. Then following the installation instructions, I reinstalled the visor into the roof bracket.

It's not pretty, the vanity light doesn't work (probably because the contacts inside have been pushed apart), and I don't know how long this solution will last. But for those who need a temporary solution, this might help. Of course, your mileage may vary, and I don't assume any responsibility for damage, injury, etc.!
#12 Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 PM
New TN User

2007 Camry Drivers Sun visor

I had the same problem with the drivers sun visor not fitting the stowage clip. The stowage clip didn't seem to be deep enough to grasp and hold the visor rod section. Eventually the problem with the internal torsion clip device then reared its ugly head and trying to swing the visor up caused the internal plastic visor frame to crack. It's just a lousy product and a call to the dealer (Huntington Beach, CA.) netted me a quote of $113 for a new part. Installation will of course be extra but I read other forums where people with this same model and year Camry damaged the headliner trying to remove the original defective support arm from its mounting base.

Additionally, the dealer parts man seemed pretty experienced in that he said a VIN Number was required to assure the correct visors configuration, sun-roof, lighted vanity mirror and other things dictating applicability.

No warranty coverage in the manual as this is, I'm almost sure, "reasonable wear and tear" according to the typical service manager.

Sure wish that blind 88 year old man hadn't t-boned my Maxima!

Last edited by Stevejet; 01-21-2011 at 11:09 PM.
#13 Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 PM
New TN User

USA

Hey yall, I called the NHTSA which is a government agency that investigates vehicle defects that affect safety. I filed a complaint against Toyota today, and NHTSA will have it reviewed for further investigations. I strongly encourage you to also take a few minutes of your time to file a complaint. This is a potential class action or recall. I've had to replace my sun visor twice! WTF? So call NHTSA at 18004249393. It's located in DC I believe.

#14 Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Camry NOOBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadude87 View Post
Hey yall, I called the NHTSA which is a government agency that investigates vehicle defects that affect safety. I filed a complaint against Toyota today, and NHTSA will have it reviewed for further investigations. I strongly encourage you to also take a few minutes of your time to file a complaint. This is a potential class action or recall. I've had to replace my sun visor twice! WTF? So call NHTSA at 18004249393. It's located in DC I believe.

Yep, Mine has also broken twice, 2007 model too. Filed complaint. I am really regretting buying this car, it just seems to have minor issues all the time.
#15 Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
TN Member

I just experienced the broken sun visor earlier today... Since it's Sunday, can't contact a dealer yet, but will do so tomorrow. Ironically, this is the 2nd sun visor on the car... the original one was replaced in October 2009 because of dealer screw-up. I do have the extended Toyota warranty, and the original paperwork showing when they replaced the visor before. Hopefully I won't be paying anything or else I will seek legal action. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

Here's a video of the visor...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pDMhQKs7QHA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or if the embedded one doesn't work.... http://youtu.be/pDMhQKs7QHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)