Toyota Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads change? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada Toyota Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads change?

Hello there, I was told that my Toyota Camry 2005 LE brake pads have only 30% left. The mechanics there are charging a heavy fine for the pads. I am hoping to purchase the pads my self. First thing is do I need to replace all the pads on the car or just the front and second, is there a particular pad brand I need to purchase? I am from Toronto, Canada and I am hoping to purchase the cheapest price for a set of brake pads. I can also purchase it from eBay, can someone recommend me a set of brake pads for a good price.

Once I buy it, I am bringing it to the shop to get someone to do it for me.

Last edited by Supraaa; 05-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Supraaa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Maven
 
gdanaher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 259 Times in 231 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Usually the front pads wear faster than the rear but the only way to be sure is to pull the wheels and have a look. If the mechanic told you that you had 30% on the front then there is pad enough, and time enough, to save up and get something that is NOT the least expensive pad. You get what you pay for here, and it is true. The cheap ones will dust up, wear, and be gone long before a good set would. The prices at the dealer's parts counter won't be horrible compared to parts stores for comparable pads, and then you know that you are getting good stuff. Otherwise, save up a little and buy some good ceramics. They will last.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
gdanaher is offline  
#3 Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
イリジウム
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calif
Posts: 8,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 193
Thanked 924 Times in 873 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
So how many kilometers did the 60% last you? I much rather they go by mm instead of %. Do you think they calculate that based on the amount on the new pads? You should change the pads when there are about 3mm left. I wouldn't wait until the last mm.

Replace one axle at a time is usually sufficient. Because the rear usually has more material left. But do check, newer ABS with brake force redistribution can mean they wear similarly.

I'd get Akebono ProAct ceramics. These dust little, resist fade well in typical driving, quiet, and laaaaast a looooong time. So in that sense would be less expensive than some cheap pads that last only 20K miles.

Or go to your local dealer and ask to see the pads. If you see edge codes like "AK xxx-xxx FF" then those are Akebonos as well. If you see "NBK xxx-xxx FF", run, don't walk.

I'd make sure the shop uses a torque wrench. No petro cleaners on rubber parts (alcohol based only). Caliper anchor pins properly lubed.

If you need rotors, get Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraaa View Post
Hello there, I was told that my Toyota Camry 2005 LE brake pads have only 30% left. The mechanics there are charging a heavy fine for the pads. I am hoping to purchase the pads my self. First thing is do I need to replace all the pads on the car or just the front and second, is there a particular pad brand I need to purchase? I am from Toronto, Canada and I am hoping to purchase the cheapest price for a set of brake pads. I can also purchase it from eBay, can someone recommend me a set of brake pads for a good price.

Once I buy it, I am bringing it to the shop to get someone to do it for me.

Last edited by JohnGD; 05-26-2010 at 09:52 PM.
JohnGD is offline  
#4 Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
So how many kilometers did the 60% last you? I much rather they go by mm instead of %. Do you think they calculate that based on the amount on the new pads? You should change the pads when there are about 3mm left. I wouldn't wait until the last mm.

Replace one axle at a time is usually sufficient. Because the rear usually has more material left. But do check, newer ABS with brake force redistribution can mean they wear similarly.

I'd get Akebono ProAct ceramics. These dust little, resist fade well in typical driving, quiet, and laaaaast a looooong time. So in that sense would be less expensive than some cheap pads that last only 20K miles.

Or go to your local dealer and ask to see the pads. If you see edge codes like "AK xxx-xxx FF" then those are Akebonos as well. If you see "NBK xxx-xxx FF", run, don't walk.

I'd make sure the shop uses a torque wrench. No petro cleaners on rubber parts (alcohol based only). Caliper anchor pins properly lubed.

If you need rotors, get Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors.
Thanks for replying, looks like you know a lot stuff about it. Usually for a set of front brake pads, how much do they retail for so I won't get ripped off? I see a lot of NBK on eBay and I was tempted to purchase a set earlier. I believe my 2005 Camry has about 60,000 KM at the moment. Do you know any reputable website which sells it for a good price and willing to ship to Canada? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I see EBK, I don't know if that's a good brand but it come with ceramics too

Last edited by Supraaa; 05-26-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Supraaa is offline  
#5 Old 05-27-2010, 01:24 AM
イリジウム
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calif
Posts: 8,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 193
Thanked 924 Times in 873 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Don't know EBK brakes. I do know EBC brakes. Decent. I'd go Hawk (performance pads, but may be a bit noisy) or ATE (a Continental Group of companies) as well, often used on European cars.

I'm in the States, so I can only give you what online retailers here sell at. I know rockauto.com ships to Canada, TN member get 5% off. However, import duty may cost you quite a bit more. Or check Amazon. They ship everywhere.

Using 2005 Camry LE 2.4L (verify your application, preferably using manufacturer's web catalogs):

Akebono ACT 908 (front, Japan prod), USD $32.79
Akebono ACT 885 (rear, Japan prod), USD $43.79

Akebono ACT 906A (front, US prod), USD $50.79
Akebono ACT 828 (rear, US prod), USD $32.79

Raybestos 96217 Advanced Technology front rotor USD $38.89
Raybestos 980076 Advanced Technology front rotor USD $47.79


http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/index.asp
http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal/raybestos


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraaa View Post
Thanks for replying, looks like you know a lot stuff about it. Usually for a set of front brake pads, how much do they retail for so I won't get ripped off? I see a lot of NBK on eBay and I was tempted to purchase a set earlier. I believe my 2005 Camry has about 60,000 KM at the moment. Do you know any reputable website which sells it for a good price and willing to ship to Canada? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I see EBK, I don't know if that's a good brand but it come with ceramics too

Last edited by JohnGD; 05-27-2010 at 01:26 AM.
JohnGD is offline  
#6 Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 AM
TN Post Wh*re
 
touringcamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NorCal, USA
Posts: 6,925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 114 Times in 94 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post

I'd get Akebono ProAct ceramics. These dust little, resist fade well in typical driving, quiet, and laaaaast a looooong time. So in that sense would be less expensive than some cheap pads that last only 20K miles.

Or go to your local dealer and ask to see the pads. If you see edge codes like "AK xxx-xxx FF" then those are Akebonos as well. If you see "NBK xxx-xxx FF", run, don't walk.
I pulled the MSDS for Napa Ultra Premium Ceramic and according to that, they are manufactured by Akebono with FF friction code. I don't remember how the price compares though. But that could mean a local source for many people if they don't want to order online. Akebono pads aren't exactly easy to find locally.

Napa Ultra Premium rotors are rebranded Raybestos Advanced Technology. Napa's warranty covers against warping as long as they are above the discard thickness.


2007 Camry 2.4L 5M

Last edited by touringcamry; 05-27-2010 at 02:50 AM.
touringcamry is offline  
#7 Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Don't know EBK brakes. I do know EBC brakes. Decent. I'd go Hawk (performance pads, but may be a bit noisy) or ATE (a Continental Group of companies) as well, often used on European cars.

I'm in the States, so I can only give you what online retailers here sell at. I know rockauto.com ships to Canada, TN member get 5% off. However, import duty may cost you quite a bit more. Or check Amazon. They ship everywhere.

Using 2005 Camry LE 2.4L (verify your application, preferably using manufacturer's web catalogs):

Akebono ACT 908 (front, Japan prod), USD $32.79
Akebono ACT 885 (rear, Japan prod), USD $43.79

Akebono ACT 906A (front, US prod), USD $50.79
Akebono ACT 828 (rear, US prod), USD $32.79

Raybestos 96217 Advanced Technology front rotor USD $38.89
Raybestos 980076 Advanced Technology front rotor USD $47.79


http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/index.asp
http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal/raybestos
Yes, it's EBC. My bad. Wow those prices are good. I check here in Toronto, they are about ~$100 to $140 for Akebono. Last question, which is better in terms of quality? Japan or US production? Thanks.
Supraaa is offline  
#8 Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM
イリジウム
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calif
Posts: 8,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 193
Thanked 924 Times in 873 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well, at those prices you can pay 100% import duty and still come out ahead.

As far as Japan/US production goes, it's about where the CAR is made, not the pads. Look at the decal on the door or door frame, it'll tell you where it's made. Or check the VIN number, if you see something like JTxxx it's Japan. Something like 1xx or 4xx it's US. Of course there may be other Canadian VIN codes I don't know about.

I stopped paying attention to the factory locale where small parts like these are made. They're pretty much all over.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraaa View Post
Yes, it's EBC. My bad. Wow those prices are good. I check here in Toronto, they are about ~$100 to $140 for Akebono. Last question, which is better in terms of quality? Japan or US production? Thanks.
JohnGD is offline  
#9 Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Well, at those prices you can pay 100% import duty and still come out ahead.

As far as Japan/US production goes, it's about where the CAR is made, not the pads. Look at the decal on the door or door frame, it'll tell you where it's made. Or check the VIN number, if you see something like JTxxx it's Japan. Something like 1xx or 4xx it's US. Of course there may be other Canadian VIN codes I don't know about.

I stopped paying attention to the factory locale where small parts like these are made. They're pretty much all over.
Thanks for replying, John. You were very helpful.

The Camry is made in USA. I guess it would be better to stick with USA pads. Thanks again.
Supraaa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome