2011 Toyota Camry Rattles - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
zero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA 2011 Toyota Camry Rattles

Hi,
I purchased a 2011 Toyota Camry LE (2.5L I-4, Automatic) about a month ago (August 2010 in Houston, TX.) Right from the day one, I noticed numerous intolerable rattles. The most prominent ones are, a clicking noise from steering wheel, especially when turning in a parking lot with vehicle not in motion, and on and off rattling from driver and passenger seat belt columns in the B pillar. Mechanically the car is average (good engine, uncertain transmission) but interior fit and finish is plain disaster.
I took the car twice to the dealer. While they refused to notice any noise from the seat belt columns, they did acknowledge the ticking noise every time the steering wheel is turned on either side. Initially they tried to identify it as the turn signal correction mechanism noise, which turns the turn signal off automatically after making a turn. I insisted for the shop foreman to take a look at it. After further inspection they said it wasn't the turn signal correction mechanism but some "normal harmless rattling" from the steering column . Is there any other Camry owner with similar problems?? Appreciate your input in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Thanked 4,853 Times in 3,380 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
to the nation!

Moving your thread over to the Gen 5 & 6 Camry forum so the members there can help you out. You should also search that forum for past threads regarding rattles, etc.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 AM
OEM+

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Never had any issues with my car when I first bought her. Mines a 2010 so its identical to yours

1996 Beige Lexus ES300
2010 Blue Ribbon Metallic Camry LE
#4 Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 AM
270hp = Happy Foot

only rattles i get is the rear plastic deck lid when i listen to music.

2011 Camry SE V6 Fully Loaded w/o Navi
BC Racing Coilovers with custom 7/4kg Springs
23mm UR Racing RSB
18x8.5in Candy Red Work Emotion CR Kai's
#5 Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 AM
zero

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your input guys.
#6 Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Official TN Member

Finally! Someone can hear the rattles in the B-Pillar area, too! Right in the seat belt area. My dealer has failed to send anyone with a good enough ear to hunt for the sound, so I ride with the windows down or music up.
#7 Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Cruisin' along

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomin1 View Post
Hi,
I purchased a 2011 Toyota Camry LE (2.5L I-4, Automatic) about a month ago (August 2010 in Houston, TX.) Right from the day one, I noticed numerous intolerable rattles. The most prominent ones are, a clicking noise from steering wheel, especially when turning in a parking lot with vehicle not in motion, and on and off rattling from driver and passenger seat belt columns in the B pillar. Mechanically the car is average (good engine, uncertain transmission) but interior fit and finish is plain disaster.
I took the car twice to the dealer. While they refused to notice any noise from the seat belt columns, they did acknowledge the ticking noise every time the steering wheel is turned on either side. Initially they tried to identify it as the turn signal correction mechanism noise, which turns the turn signal off automatically after making a turn. I insisted for the shop foreman to take a look at it. After further inspection they said it wasn't the turn signal correction mechanism but some "normal harmless rattling" from the steering column . Is there any other Camry owner with similar problems?? Appreciate your input in advance.
i too have a '10 camry, I4, automatic.

the seat belt "noise" i sometimes get, is from the passenger side, when a person exits the car, the belt buckle hits the column. i think by the very nature of the seat belt re-tractor, it just doesn't pull the belt tight into its position. i have to make sure the belt sits properly in the area between the seat/column, so its no big issue. (even the drivers side does this when i exit the car)

as far as the steering wheel, i do NOT have that "problem", but noise does travel. what you think is coming from up top, can be coming from down below. check the steering column all the way down to the floor. check to see if any clamp is hitting the shaft. you might also want to try and spray a little WD-40 at the base of the shaft, then make full turns with the wheel to get the WD-40 deep into the grommet. someone here mentioned "squeaking" when turning the wheel, and this is where the problem was located. yes, there is a difference between a "squeak and a click"........but give it a try.
#8 Old 10-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Toyota | moving forward

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The most prominent ones are, a clicking noise from steering wheel, especially when turning in a parking lot with vehicle not in motion
My girlfriend's 2009 Camry has that ticking/clicking sound as well. I've come to the conclusion that it's coming from the plastic trim around the steering wheel's audio controls and/or the blank plastic trim on the right hand side.

'05 2AZ-FE @ 55K mi | '95 1MZ-FE @ 95K mi
#9 Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM
zero

(Thread Starter)
11LE : coincidentally mine is a Super White as well.

islandboy57 : I am thinking along the same line...

Glenn8963: "the belt buckle hits the column," that's what I initially suspected, but it rattles while driving with the seatbelt on, and on the passenger side with the passenger seatbelt on, so buckle hitting the pillar is out of contention. On the steering wheel issue, the shop foreman specifically instructed not to lubricate the shaft, because that was the first thing he inspected and found it well lubricated and rotating smoothly.

aznlunatic206: after reading your post, I checked my car for that particular rear plastic deck lid rattle; didn't find any.

eyezack87 : Hope it stays that way.

Thanks for your help guys. I am planning to take it to a different dealer to have 'em take a look at it ; will keep you'll posted.

Last edited by amomin1; 10-05-2010 at 09:12 AM.
#10 Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 AM
-Steven-

Quote:
Hi,

If you noticed the rattles from day one didn't you notice them from the test drive day? If you did, why did you buy the car if they are intolerable? and if the car is just mechanically average, and you dont like the interior why again, why did you buy the car? I too have a 2011 LE I4 and i dont have any of the problems you describe.

I dont know about you but i test drive cars before I buy and i make sure i'm happy with the car before i buy. and i definitely wont buy a car that is just average in my eyes and where i'm not happy with the interior, i wont even test drive it. I sat in the Ford Fusion and i hated the interior. I sat in the '11 camry and i loved it.

I'm really sorry you are having these issues with your car But to TN.

#11 Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM
MJZ
Bulletime

No steering wheel sounds here
Seat belt B column is from the seat belt hitting .. the column. You need to adjust the seatbelt manually and it is only caused from (a passenger) using it. Otherwise it will stay silent.
#12 Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM
zero

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianLife21 View Post
If you noticed the rattles from day one didn't you notice them from the test drive day? If you did, why did you buy the car if they are intolerable? and if the car is just mechanically average, and you dont like the interior why again, why did you buy the car? I too have a 2011 LE I4 and i dont have any of the problems you describe.

I dont know about you but i test drive cars before I buy and i make sure i'm happy with the car before i buy. and i definitely wont buy a car that is just average in my eyes and where i'm not happy with the interior, i wont even test drive it. I sat in the Ford Fusion and i hated the interior. I sat in the '11 camry and i loved it.

I'm really sorry you are having these issues with your car But to TN.
I did test drive the car but not the one I ended up buying, reason being, the car I test drove had chipped paint on the hood. It was a mistake not to test drive the one I bought, since I was assuming it to behave like the identical test drive car. While the test drive car did not rattle, I found the transmission hunting for gears, especially downshifting. While I noticed the B pillar rattle on my way home, I didn't notice the steering rattle until next morning. The interior fit and finish and materials (not the layout) are inferior compared to previous Toyota's and my wife's 2009 Honda Accord (layout sucks.)
Again, in my opinion, it's an average car mechanically, compared to my 2003 Camry and 2000 Avalon (which shifts better even wth a four speed automatic.) I don't like the Accord for excessive wind and road noise and prefer Camry's soft ride. Even with the uncertain transmission (I'm sure I'll get used to it,) and lousy fit and finish, I was more comfortable with the Camry given my previous good experiences with Toyota.
I took the car to the dealer very next day with the rattling issues, but as you know once the sale is complete you are on your own. The damage is done my friend and there is no point beating a dead horse, please give me suggestions if you have any. Thank you..
#13 Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 AM
TN Post Wh*re

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Quote:
I did test drive the car but not the one I ended up buying, reason being, the car I test drove had chipped paint on the hood. It was a mistake not to test drive the one I bought, since I was assuming it to behave like the identical test drive car. While the test drive car did not rattle, I found the transmission hunting for gears, especially downshifting. While I noticed the B pillar rattle on my way home, I didn't notice the steering rattle until next morning. The interior fit and finish and materials (not the layout) are inferior compared to previous Toyota's and my wife's 2009 Honda Accord (layout sucks.)
Again, in my opinion, it's an average car mechanically, compared to my 2003 Camry and 2000 Avalon (which shifts better even wth a four speed automatic.) I don't like the Accord for excessive wind and road noise and prefer Camry's soft ride. Even with the uncertain transmission (I'm sure I'll get used to it,) and lousy fit and finish, I was more comfortable with the Camry given my previous good experiences with Toyota.
I took the car to the dealer very next day with the rattling issues, but as you know once the sale is complete you are on your own. The damage is done my friend and there is no point beating a dead horse, please give me suggestions if you have any. Thank you..

That's too bad. The one with the chipped paint could have been a decent car. Somtimes a bad apple comes down the assembly line. Toyota is not alone in this, all manufacturer's experience this. Do you know what day your car was built?
#14 Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Need For Speed

Garage
I have a 2011 SE I4 6 speed manual and I notice a small rattle in the front of the dash, near where the wipers sit. It's quiet enough where I just roll down the windows or turn up the radio, so I tolerate it. Also, your 4 speed auto probably shifted better because it didn't have to shift as many times as the 6 speed auto does now. That's why I bought the manual, because the auto sucks. I used to have a car with a 3 speed auto and I loved it, it shifted into 3rd at 40 mph and I didn't have to deal with the car still shifting.

They always say cars built on a Monday or Friday are the worst....

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#15 Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
zero

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zythr View Post
That's too bad. The one with the chipped paint could have been a decent car. Somtimes a bad apple comes down the assembly line. Toyota is not alone in this, all manufacturer's experience this. Do you know what day your car was built?
I am not sure how to look up the day the car was built. Will do some research and let you know. Also, I'm more than convinced, the test drive vehicle would have turned out better in terms of rattling issues. Well, tough luck...thanks anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)