My car is pulling hard to the left, why? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 My car is pulling hard to the left, why?

My 2008 camry se is pulling hard to the left, even just taking my hands off the steering wheel for less then a second it will pull sharply to the left. why is that?

I have 20x8.5 wheels with 245/35 tires. I recently changed the front tires with a brand new pair and also got an alignment after lowering my car on H&R springs and it seemed like it pulled even harder after doing the new tires and alignment and my steering wheel seemed like it would shake from time to time when applying the brake (car always pulled even before lowering it). I took it back to the tire shop and they did another alignment and put the new tires in the back and the older tires in the front. It then kinda stopped shaking the steering wheel and the pull to the left wasnt bad but it still pulls hard to the left.

I got the front rotors resurfaced with new pads about 3-4 months ago when my steering wheel would shake very drastic, but it was gone right after the repair."no more shaking"

so what could the problem be if its not the alignment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,284 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOFLYBOINICK View Post
My 2008 camry se is pulling hard to the left, even just taking my hands off the steering wheel for less then a second it will pull sharply to the left. why is that?

I have 20x8.5 wheels with 245/35 tires. I recently changed the front tires with a brand new pair and also got an alignment after lowering my car on H&R springs and it seemed like it pulled even harder after doing the new tires and alignment and my steering wheel seemed like it would shake from time to time when applying the brake (car always pulled even before lowering it). I took it back to the tire shop and they did another alignment and put the new tires in the back and the older tires in the front. It then kinda stopped shaking the steering wheel and the pull to the left wasnt bad but it still pulls hard to the left.

I got the front rotors resurfaced with new pads about 3-4 months ago when my steering wheel would shake very drastic, but it was gone right after the repair."no more shaking"

so what could the problem be if its not the alignment?
It could still be the alignment. I had a local auto shop mount some new tires and also perform an alignment a few years ago. Car pulled hard to the left. I took it back, they realigned it, and it still pulled hard to the left. I took it to my rusty trusty mechanic and he found both front tires were toed 4 degrees left. He declared that after two attempts the mechanics at the original shop were incompetent, and obviously they were.

Take your car to another shop and have the alignment checked. Treat your car like a person, and if you encounter issues seek another opinion instead of relying on a single source.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#3 Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
2GR Power

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
It could be your tires too cause my old tires used to pull too but since I replaced all 4, it's good now. The Gen 6 camry is known to pull to the left a bit too, mine still pulls slightly to the left, but nothing major. I've had 3 alignments already, so I'm done.

Last edited by GT-R; 01-13-2011 at 09:29 PM.
#4 Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Cruisin' along

i would have the brakes checked, as the left caliper could be binding.......to do such a sharp pull as you claim, this doesn't sound like alignment right now....a car will drift to the left or right when you let go of the wheel. such a sharp pull in a second as you say, i'm leaning towards brake caliper, bad brake hose, etc...
#5 Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Official TN Member

Man, I could write a book on this sort of problem. I do alignments as part of my job. First, cross the front tires and test drive. Still pulling left? then you have an alignment issue. Do you have an alignment print-out? If I could see the measurements I could offer an opinion. Front caster, camber and SAI are the biggies here.
#6 Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM
New TN User

Mine also pulls to the left, even after an alignment. Not really too concerned though
#7 Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Gen6 My Camry pulls to the left....Frame damage?

Ok, so I have a 2008 camry se.
I have been battling, trying to figure out why my car keeps pulling to the left when I let go of the steering wheel. I have had 2-3 alignments already and it still does this. The tires are brand new so I know it's not that, could it be a bent frame?

My car was hit from behind in may 2008 and I have never really noticed the issue until now.

If it is frame damage, how much would it cost to repair?

please give me your opinions....

thanks.
#8 Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
could it be frame damage?
#9 Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM
The Tri-Camry Family

Have you try rotating the tires? Sometimes the tires develop a radial pull as early as a few thousand miles. If moving the tires around doesn't do anything, check for damage suspension parts; struts, mounts, ball joints, etc. Having the frame pulled or repair depends on how out-of-spec it is.

"Yūko" 2001 Camry 5S-FE/A140E @ 111k
"Sandy" 2002 Camry 2AZ-FE/U241E @ 176k
"Chihaya" 2012 Camry 2AR-FE/U760E @ 41K
#10 Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Project ZZZzzz

Quote:
Ok, so I have a 2008 camry se.
I have been battling, trying to figure out why my car keeps pulling to the left when I let go of the steering wheel. I have had 2-3 alignments already and it still does this. The tires are brand new so I know it's not that, could it be a bent frame?

My car was hit from behind in may 2008 and I have never really noticed the issue until now.

If it is frame damage, how much would it cost to repair?

please give me your opinions....

thanks.
Did they show you the before and after number when they did the alignment? Not all techs and made equal

If you pay the $160 for the lifetime alignment at Firestone you can take it back anytime until its corrected. given that it it an alignment issue.

08 Scion tC - Boosted Weekend Racer
13 Toyota Tacoma
-Cheap Vacation-
#11 Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Threads merged.

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#12 Old 08-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Maven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
could it be frame damage?
The frame could be all out of wack, but anyone using good alignment tools can make the alignment right if it is within adjustable tolerances. Again, you haven't offered any stats, either prior to or after the various alignments, that would offer us enough data to make an educated opinion as to why it isn't racking correctly. Swap the tires left to right, front to rear.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
#13 Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Dealer said one of my front struts are bent. Can this be the cause of my camry pulling to the left? I heard so many other camry owners complain of the pulling also, but never did they say that the cooperate was a bent strut.
#14 Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Maven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Dealer said one of my front struts are bent. Can this be the cause of my camry pulling to the left? I heard so many other camry owners complain of the pulling also, but never did they say that the cooperate was a bent strut.
I think you have found the problem, and the solution involves a new strut.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
#15 Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I still have not brought my car back to the dealership for the repair...
Im scared that if I pay for the replacement of the strut and the pulling issue is still there I will just waste my money....

So here is my story revised...

My car PULLS to the left and is felt more on the freeway.

As soon as I let go of the steering wheel the car pulls HARD/SHARP to the left.

It feels like sometimes I almost have to apply pressure to the steering wheel for it to go straight, "The point where my arm starts to hurt a bit".

Also...As i am applying pressure. Sometimes the steering wheels slightly vibrates/shimmy's...

I have already gotten 2 alignments done....

Placed my stock wheels back on with brand new tires....

Crossed the tires back and fourth, left to right, etc....

So I guess im just trying to find some reassurance that the bent strut diagnosis from the dealership is accurate...

Any thoughts anyone? Are these symptoms of a bent strut?

or is this the "KNOWN/ONGOING, MY CAMRYS PULLING AND NOTHING I DO FIXES IT" syndrome?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)