Best place, online or other, to buy Toyota Motor Oil and filters? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Best place, online or other, to buy Toyota Motor Oil and filters?

What is the best place (pricing) to buy Toyota Syn 0w-20 oil and OEM filters... Local dealer clipped me for $9.50 per quart...and over $9 for a filter element. Hoping to find a better deal for next time.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Official TN Member

Gen6

http://www.toyotapartshub.com/ better than my employee discount from my toyota dealer
#3 Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There are many Toyota dealers that sell parts via the WEB.

Toyota Of Grapevine Texas is one - goodle for web addr - cheaper than the one listed in prev. post on many items - not by a lot - but cheaper. Good guys.
#4 Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM
must.resist.modding

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
It has been discussed before. There are vendors here on the forums that are from Toyota dealerships and eBay is another site that dealerships sell stuff. I've purchased OEM v6 filters for $38 for 10 ($3.80 a piece). There is no reason why you should get OEM oil. Just go to Walmart and buy Mobil1. They sell 5qt jugs for $20 or so. Done.

Last edited by bandit; 03-25-2011 at 04:18 PM.
#5 Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Beer steak & Texas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
^+100.
contact Gary at Toyota of Newman.

?any body know if standart oil filter wrench socket will fit toyota filter?

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/5K Retro
Independent Fogs
225/55/17Primacy/AvalonTouringWheels
B-Quiet/Pioneer
Beltronics&BlackSys

2012 MGM LE
#6 Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
'11 Camry

Mobil 1 doesn't package 0W-20 in 5-quart jugs, so you have to buy it individually. And at $6.37/qt, Mobil 1 isn't all that cheap. The OEM Toyota 0W-20 oil is a superior product over Mobil 1, and for the same price at most dealers, you might as well buy the Toyota oil if you're there to buy the filter anyway. It's unfortunate that this dealer is charging so much for it.

The Toyota oil has much more molybdenum in it than Mobil 1, which is a rather expensive anti-wear additive that most factory fills have. In addition, it has an excellent (very high) viscosity index, demonstrating very good performance over a wide variety of temperatures.

2011 Toyota Camry (Sandy Beach Metallic)
2005 Acura MDX Touring (Billet Silver Metallic)
#7 Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Official TN Member

I was able to buy Toyota 0W-20 at my dealer for under $6.00 per quart!! Great deal! I am not sure if it was on sale or what, but I walked out with 10 quarts.
#8 Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 PM
must.resist.modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
Mobil 1 doesn't package 0W-20 in 5-quart jugs, so you have to buy it individually. And at $6.37/qt, Mobil 1 isn't all that cheap. The OEM Toyota 0W-20 oil is a superior product over Mobil 1, and for the same price at most dealers, you might as well buy the Toyota oil if you're there to buy the filter anyway. It's unfortunate that this dealer is charging so much for it.

The Toyota oil has much more molybdenum in it than Mobil 1, which is a rather expensive anti-wear additive that most factory fills have. In addition, it has an excellent (very high) viscosity index, demonstrating very good performance over a wide variety of temperatures.
Its all the same...just rebadged. The oil they use at dealerships for those bringing it in for service is recycled oil.

Anything from dealership is over inflated in price and a rip off. Thats like telling customers that if they don't take it to a dealership or use OEM products that it voids warranty. Bull donkey doo!

I've been using non-OEM oil and filters on all my cars and they last 15+ years. I've only been using OEM oil filters as I get it cheap. My dad use to get FRAM but its cheaper to buy OEM in bulk.
#9 Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 AM
'11 Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcemureviews View Post
Its all the same...just rebadged. The oil they use at dealerships for those bringing it in for service is recycled oil.
Toyota's 0W-20 oil you buy over the counter in quarts is not the same as Mobil 1 0W-20 you buy over the counter. What the Toyota dealer might SERVICE a vehicle with, as you say, can be anything. My dealer uses Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20.

Here's some good information for you:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...57#Post1673357

That's a VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) of the Toyota 0W-20. You can see that molybdenum ("moly") is super high, at over 800ppm. Most other oils have 50-200ppm of moly.

And here is a VOA of Mobil 1 0W-20:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=785854&page=1

You can see that it's clearly not the same oil. Mobil 1 has less than 100ppm of moly.

To be sure, moly is not the only measure of a good oil. The point here being, most people believe that the Toyota 0W-20 bottled oil is the same as anything else, and it's clearly not the same. If your dealer has it priced competitively with other synthetics-by-the-quart (in the $6.50 range for 0W-20), it's actually a fairly good value, given its excellent performance characteristics.

#10 Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
Toyota's 0W-20 oil you buy over the counter in quarts is not the same as Mobil 1 0W-20 you buy over the counter. What the Toyota dealer might SERVICE a vehicle with, as you say, can be anything. My dealer uses Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20.

Here's some good information for you:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...57#Post1673357

That's a VOA (Virgin Oil Analysis) of the Toyota 0W-20. You can see that molybdenum ("moly") is super high, at over 800ppm. Most other oils have 50-200ppm of moly.

And here is a VOA of Mobil 1 0W-20:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=785854&page=1

You can see that it's clearly not the same oil. Mobil 1 has less than 100ppm of moly.

To be sure, moly is not the only measure of a good oil. The point here being, most people believe that the Toyota 0W-20 bottled oil is the same as anything else, and it's clearly not the same. If your dealer has it priced competitively with other synthetics-by-the-quart (in the $6.50 range for 0W-20), it's actually a fairly good value, given its excellent performance characteristics.

Absolutely correct!
Toyota oil is made by Mobil but formulated for Toyota with more moly.
Toyota 0w20 and Honda 0w20 have a load of Moly in their oil.Great stuff.
I buy Toyota 0w20 from a Toyota dealer on Ebay by the case and the cost per qt with shipping is just under $6.70.Well worth it!

'11 Camry Hybrid Classic Silver/Ash
Moonroof | NAV | Leather | JBL Audio | XM | Blue Tooth | OEM Remote Start | Michelin Primacy MXV4
'11 Honda CR-V EX-L w/NAV 4WD Glacier Blue/Gray
Leather | Remote Start | Fogs | Premium Sound | XM | Wood Dash | Michelin Primacy MXV4

Last edited by Joe B; 03-26-2011 at 08:33 AM.
#11 Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Toyota Parts since 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcemureviews View Post

Anything from dealership is over inflated in price and a rip off.

I expect more informed opinions from a mod in a major national automotive forum. It IS NOT all the same when it comes to motor oil as pointed out by the last couple of posters. I've been working at dealers for the last 30 years and I don't know of anyone using recycled oil. Thats an old wives tale. The vast majority of Toyota dealers are on the GTMO (Genuine Toyota Motor Oil) program which uses specially formulated Exxon-Mobil bulk oil, Mobil1 and the new 0W-20. Oh, and BTW, our dealership charges less for basic maintenance than Jiffy Lube and we don't try to sell you every flush known to man every time you come in like they do. Things have changed quite a bit at the dealership level in the last couple of years.

05 Highlander V6 AWD
170K miles young
07 Camry SE V6 SOLD!!
TRD Dual Exhaust & Air Filter
The Following User Says Thank You to DOHCammer For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (03-26-2011)
#12 Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
BTW: Mobil 1 DOES package the 0w-20 in 5 qt. jugs now. Saw them at Walmart last week.

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
The Following User Says Thank You to arabianobsession For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (03-26-2011)
#13 Old 03-26-2011, 02:53 PM
must.resist.modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCammer View Post
I expect more informed opinions from a mod in a major national automotive forum. It IS NOT all the same when it comes to motor oil as pointed out by the last couple of posters. I've been working at dealers for the last 30 years and I don't know of anyone using recycled oil. Thats an old wives tale. The vast majority of Toyota dealers are on the GTMO (Genuine Toyota Motor Oil) program which uses specially formulated Exxon-Mobil bulk oil, Mobil1 and the new 0W-20. Oh, and BTW, our dealership charges less for basic maintenance than Jiffy Lube and we don't try to sell you every flush known to man every time you come in like they do. Things have changed quite a bit at the dealership level in the last couple of years.
Being a mod on a major national automotive forum has nothing to do with our opinions. We don't get paid nor are we employed. What we say is of our own opinion and experience.
#14 Old 03-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCammer View Post
Forgot to mention earlier that Walmart actually does use recycled oil in bulk form....when I worked there in the Auto department we had to go to training a few times and our regional manager mentioned it a couple of times.

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#15 Old 03-26-2011, 03:04 PM
'11 Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianobsession View Post
BTW: Mobil 1 DOES package the 0w-20 in 5 qt. jugs now. Saw them at Walmart last week.
Thanks for that info; that's awesome news. They always had the 0W-30 in the large jugs, but they never bottled the 0W-20 that way. I don't know why...not enough demand for it at the time I guess. Glad to see they've started doing that. That makes the Mobil 1 0W-20 product a better value.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)