2005 Camry Brake Problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2005 Camry Brake Problem

Hey everyone, I've been having a hell of a time with a problem with my 2005 Camry XLE (4 cyl/disc brakes/auto trans).

The pedal sinks all the way to the floor when I brake, even though it stops the car, it doesn't feel right. Also, I have searched and it seems a lot of gen5 owners have the exact same issue and people are calling it "normal".

It might be normal. I'm not sure. My dad's 06 Camry LE is the same way.

I had the pads/rotors/master cylinder replaced by my mechanic. It's exactly the same as it was when I brought it there.

I took it to another mechanic, who told me the reason why it's not fixed is because I bought an Autozone master cylinder (New, not a remanufactured MC). He said if I bought a Toyota one it would be fine.

He is not affiliated with Toyota, so I'm not sure if he's right or wrong about that.

I'm going to take the car to the dealer for a check tomorrow. Of course, they might feed me the same line (buy toyota MC).

Could the Autozone MC be the problem? The previous OEM one was the exact same feel.

If Toyota declares the car "ok", should I take off the Autozone MC and put the old Toyota one back on so I can get my money back? Or would that be a bad idea?

Thanks for any help.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Maven

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bad brakes can kill you. Either the master cylinder will leak fluid back or it won't. Let's assume it is working. Look at the linkage between the brake pedal and the brake booster to see if there is any adjustment in the length possible and if so, is there any way to tighten it up a bit so there is no play. Next get a helper and a quart of good fluid and bleed the system, perhaps again. Make certain before doing this that there is no sign of fluid leakage at the wheel cylinders.

The problem is most common when there is air in the lines.

2007 V6 Camry LE, Built TMMK 27 September 06
"People who think they know it all are particularly irritating to those of us who do."
#3 Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your brake pedal height measured from floor pan? Should be about 5.6" to 6." If the pedal height is within specs,the pedal "reserve distance" when fully depressed should be about 2.5" above floor pan[not carpet]. According to the 2004 Camry repair manual,the brake pedal height adjustment is made at the push rod clevis between the pedal and the brake booster. Brake pedal free play is .24 in. I have never made this adjustement but passing along to you what the manual for my 2004 Camry says. I think this probably applies to your 2005. Hope this helps. Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)