Replacing rear sway bar links - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
2007 Camry SE V6

Gameroom cash: $145290
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View thrawnis's Photo Gallery
Replacing rear sway bar links

I talked to some friends about a clunking noise I'm getting in the rear end of my car when going over certain bumps (not all) and they think I need to replace the rear sway bar links. They said it is somewhat common that when you use aftermarket sway bars, they will wear out the factory links more quickly.

The local Toyota dealership has them for $98 each but I found some Deeza brand links for $35 for the pair.

Any suggestions on where I can find factory replacements cheaper? Also, does this seem like a reasonable next step to take to try and solve this problem?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $183921
View Dave-o's Photo Gallery
my end links began to clunk not long ago too... crawl underneath with a 14mm wrench/ratchet and tighten it, if it comes back in a week take the nut out and run some loc-tite on there then reinstall
Dave-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View 05_se_lunarmist's Photo Gallery
My gen 5.5 TRD rear sway bar made creeking noised over bumps and driveways after about a year from install. I first thought it was the rear struts and/or springs. Turns out the grease got dirty and the bushings needed to be re lubricated and retightened up. That fixed the sounds. Im just now starting to hear them again about 2 years later.

TRD Springs, TRD RSB, 18x7.5 Wheels, 225/45/18 Tires
05_se_lunarmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
2007 Camry SE V6

I just re-lubed the sway bar bracket bushings in hopes that it would help with the clunking noise. Some of the noise went away but most of it is still there.

Re-tightening the links sounds like the next best thing to try before buying new ones. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Avy

Gameroom cash: $1175255
Garage
View pmesfun's Photo Gallery
If you do need new links, buy Deezas, I just got a pair myself. According to a couple tn'ers they are great quality and the boot is double layered so they are less prone to ripping and letting grease out.
'08 Hyundai Sonata-100K
'04 Nissan Quest-143K
'97 Ford F350 PSD 4X4-105K
pmesfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $183921
View Dave-o's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawnis View Post
I just re-lubed the sway bar bracket bushings in hopes that it would help with the clunking noise. Some of the noise went away but most of it is still there.

Re-tightening the links sounds like the next best thing to try before buying new ones. Thanks for the suggestions!
that's cause either your driver's side or passenger side sway bar link is loose!!
Dave-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
2007 Camry SE V6

I checked both the links and both sides were torqued down to the factory specs. Just to see what would happen, I slightly over-tightened them with no difference in sound.

The next step is to buy the Deeza links and see how they work out. If anyone is interested, the part number is LE-L645 for both the driver and passenger sides. I will let everyone know if this solves the problem once I get the parts installed but it will be a couple weeks before I can install them.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $217250
View ImJustMe55's Photo Gallery
Remove the endlinks and move the bolts with one finger. If it freely moves then the bearing is bad and you'll need to replace the endlink. If it's hard to move then it's fine. The endlinks aren't hard to replace. I wouldn't waist money paying someone else to install them if I were you.

2007 V6 Camry SE: TRD Air Filter, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk PC pads, Techna-Fit Braided Steel Brake Lines
ImJustMe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)