2007 Camry stops using/burning oil - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $544700
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View winstead22's Photo Gallery
2007 Camry stops using/burning oil

Have a 2007 Camry SE i4 purchased new 4/2006. This is my wife's car and the present mileage is 21,500. (she works close to home). I have changed the oil in this car every 6 months with Mobil 1 5w20 with OEM filter and the car never used any oil btw. changes until late last summer. This is when I first noticed the drop on the dipstick. I continued to check and it continued to use oil, about 1 qt. but I, at the time wasn't checking the miles. I changed the oil in April, 2011 @ 19,508 miles and checked the level weekly. The level slowly started to drop and @ 20,371 (863 miles since the oil change) it was 3/4 of a qt. low. I added 3/4 qt. but not paying attention I grabbed a qt. of Mobil 1 5w30, which I use in my Highlander.
Since that time the oil level has not gone down at all, it is still on the full mark and the present mileage is 21,510 (1,139 miles since adding the 3/4 qt.).
I have no answer as to why it has stopped using oil. Could adding 3/4 qt. of 5w30 have caused this or is this just a coincidence and what ever was wrong somehow corrected itself?
I was building a case to present to the dealer when it stopped. I know the manual says 1 qt. in 600 miles is considered within specs. , which I find absurd but I figured it would just get worse and I have an extended warranty on this car, mainly due to some electrical problems I had early on and this is the first year of a new generation car and one of the first 50,000 built.
The only thing I am doing now is checking the level weekly but I have no clue as to why it stopped using oil. If this continues maybe I'll switch to Mobil 1 5w30 rather than 5w20 and see if it continues to not use oil.
winstead22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $547600
View Paul3637's Photo Gallery
Tread started a few days ago in this forum may be relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstead22 View Post
Have a 2007 Camry SE i4 purchased new 4/2006. This is my wife's car and the present mileage is 21,500. (she works close to home). I have changed the oil in this car every 6 months with Mobil 1 5w20 with OEM filter and the car never used any oil btw. changes until late last summer. This is when I first noticed the drop on the dipstick. I continued to check and it continued to use oil, about 1 qt. but I, at the time wasn't checking the miles. I changed the oil in April, 2011 @ 19,508 miles and checked the level weekly. The level slowly started to drop and @ 20,371 (863 miles since the oil change) it was 3/4 of a qt. low. I added 3/4 qt. but not paying attention I grabbed a qt. of Mobil 1 5w30, which I use in my Highlander.
Since that time the oil level has not gone down at all, it is still on the full mark and the present mileage is 21,510 (1,139 miles since adding the 3/4 qt.).
I have no answer as to why it has stopped using oil. Could adding 3/4 qt. of 5w30 have caused this or is this just a coincidence and what ever was wrong somehow corrected itself?
I was building a case to present to the dealer when it stopped. I know the manual says 1 qt. in 600 miles is considered within specs. , which I find absurd but I figured it would just get worse and I have an extended warranty on this car, mainly due to some electrical problems I had early on and this is the first year of a new generation car and one of the first 50,000 built.
The only thing I am doing now is checking the level weekly but I have no clue as to why it stopped using oil. If this continues maybe I'll switch to Mobil 1 5w30 rather than 5w20 and see if it continues to not use oil.
Scroll down a bit in this forum for:

My 2007 Camry burns Oil

This engine is plagued with oil buring problems. Since the car appears to be used on short trips where the engine does not reach normal operating temperatures for long periods of time ........ it may have not appear to be burning oil if water and unburned fuel were accumulating in the oil pan if the engine was not operated for long trips on the highway.

While the 5W20 oil is thin .......... the car should not be burning that much oil. While the BobIsTheOilGuy and other forums are replete with examples of switching from 5W20 to 5W30 with a complete oill change oil stopped or slowed oil consumption, just adding 3/4 quart of it shouldn't matter. Sounds like some kind of coincidence.

Good luck

Last edited by Paul3637; 07-30-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Paul3637 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul3637 For This Useful Post:
winstead22 (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

You are right, this car is used for short trips, 4 miles of suburban driving each way to/from work, but once a week it is driven on the highway for about 1/2 hour and since adding the 3/4 qt. of 5w30 it was driven to southern Pa., 120 miles round trip and mostly all highway, and it showed no drop on the dip stick.
I saw the post you referred to and have also read articles on Bobistheoilguy. I didn't think adding 3/4 qt. of 5w30 played a part in this but I'm wondering if this car had any oil ring(s) sluged up at the piston lands and this somehow came loose and cleaned itself up? I have no idea, I'm not that familiar with pistons and rings etc.
I did look inside the oil filler hole and used a flash light and mirror and all looks clean there, no signs of sluge. Also checked the air cleaner and housing and no signs of oil there. I didn't pull the pcv valve as it screws in and I'm uncertain if I take this out it would need a thread sealer when reinstalling to prevent leaks. I was going to have the dealer do this but since it is showing no signs of using oil on the dipstick I will have to wait and see if this condition returns before going to the dealer.
I have owned many Toyota's and this is the first one that has ever used oil.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $960430
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
Keep an eye on it. Maybe switch to -30 and see if the oil level actually increases as it picks up moisture in local driving. Or continue to use -20 if there is a chance of 600 miles of longer, higher speed trips. If the consumption is > 1.1qt after 600 miles then think about a powertrain warranty claim.

Yeah, this really sucks. Older Toyotas didn't suffer this kind of oil consumption. I'm not sure if the problem is with the thin oil or cost cutting in engineering.
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $547600
View Paul3637's Photo Gallery
Do not change to 5W30 oil / Your extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Keep an eye on it. Maybe switch to -30 and see if the oil level actually increases as it picks up moisture in local driving. Or continue to use -20 if there is a chance of 600 miles of longer, higher speed trips. If the consumption is > 1.1qt after 600 miles then think about a powertrain warranty claim.

Yeah, this really sucks. Older Toyotas didn't suffer this kind of oil consumption. I'm not sure if the problem is with the thin oil or cost cutting in engineering.
I hope your extended warranty is with Toyota and not some aftermarket plan ......... if the latter, you will probably never see a dime in reimbursement if something goes wrong.

First, I hope you kept all your receipts for oil and filters. If you bought your oil in bulk, I hope you kept a contemporaneous log. The fact you did the work yourself not be a problem. Here is an example of a failed engine in a 4Runner under warranty in the Bobistheoil guy forums where the engine blew a rod despite regular changes where the guy did his oil changes but bought the oil in bulk for many cars but he did keep a log of oil changes.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2118729&page=1

When the Toyota dealer pulled the engine apart, they could see the inside looked like brand new, oil was not the problem and the guy got a new engine under warranty.

Here is the rub for you ........... if you switch to 5W30 oil ...... depending on the dealer ......... they may say any future engine damage is due to using other than the recommended grade which could present a hassle.

I suggest you go the dealer and document your issue now so if it comes up later, they have some record of it.

Note: Last January, my Ex Wife bought a 2011 Highland V6 that came with 0W20 synthetic and requires 10,000 mile /one year oil changes. She has the same 2GR-FE engine I do in my 09 Camry V6 which requires non synthetic 5W30. It uses ZERO oil between 5K oil changes. Her car requires a 5,000 service - which is free for two years - but they just check fluids, tire pressure, etc. [no 5K oil change]. When she brought it at 5K miles after a 2000 mile trip from KS to Colorado and all over the place, the dealer did not have to add any oil. She never even checked the oil during the first 5,000 miles since our family has been driving Lexus/Toyota vehicles for over 20 years and not a one of them has ever used ANY oil. Surely if her Highlander had even used a half quart, they would have either topped it off or told her to be sure and check it before 10,000 miles. Thus, the 20W oil probably makes minimal difference in oil consumption in most Toyota vehicles.

Again, good luck.

Last edited by Paul3637; 07-31-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Paul3637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I have the Toyota platinum extended warranty 7/75,000. I have all receipts for oil and filters and keep a log, plus I write the info in the Toyota Maintenance book that comes with the car. I thought about the possibility of a push back if I switched to 5w30 so I'll probably stay with w20. I have a 2010 Highlander v6 and it calls for 5w30 because of the towing package and doesn't demand systhetic but i use it anyway. I'm going to continue to monitor this and if it starts to drop again I'll take it to the dealer. If if maintains a full oil level over the next 6 months I think I'll still take it to the dealer and explain what is going on, just to go on record in case something changes down the road. My extended warranty is good to 4/2013.
Interestering article about the 4Runner. Had to go thru a few hoops but Toyota stepped up.
Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Beer & steak slave

Gameroom cash: $928154
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View molson.david's Photo Gallery
I've been using 0-20 at the beginning with 1-1.5qt. consumptions between oil changes 8K, but noticed that during summer consumption goes up.
switched to Synpower 5-30 and consumptions stays at normal or below rate now.
another thing: valve train looks quieter now.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Need For Speed

Gameroom cash: $1340150
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View arabianobsession's Photo Gallery
^Jeez. My 11 SE requires 0w20 oil and I changed it at 5k only cause it idled a lot last winter, and the dipstick still showed full. Now, it's been six months since the last oil change and still, dipstick shows full.
arabianobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dogging It

Gameroom cash: $116990
Lifetime Supreme Member
View judge34411's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianobsession View Post
^Jeez. My 11 SE requires 0w20 oil and I changed it at 5k only cause it idled a lot last winter, and the dipstick still showed full. Now, it's been six months since the last oil change and still, dipstick shows full.
Our cars have the new I4 2.5 and more than one person I have spoken to is the same zero oil consumption. it's the older I4 2.4's that seamed to have an issue (not the newer I4 2.4). One item of note here in Canada we can use either 0w20 or 5w20 according to the manual. Strange even though it is the engine is built in the same factory.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Rapid Roy's Photo Gallery
I have a 2002 camry and a 2007 camry. Both have the 2.4I4. Neither of them use/loose any oil between oil changes. Toyota wants lighter oil for the 07 to increase mileage. There have been many threads here arguing what weight oil to use. Seems that even Toyota can't make of there minds. My dealer still argues with me over the 0/20 5/20 oil issue. I have stopped arguing, they always use the 5/20. I'm thinking that the extra protection is worth the miniscule increase in fuel economy. Besides it never gets colder the 34 degrees here in So Cal.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Beer & steak slave

Gameroom cash: $928154
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View molson.david's Photo Gallery
Quote:
My dealer still argues with me over the 0/20 5/20 oil issue. I have stopped arguing, they always use the 5/20.
it 's all thin oils. I switched to 5-30 high mileage oil recently.never used 0/5-20, tried it once and replaced with 5-30 2 weeks later.
5-20 made engine much noisier. I'm checking my MPG every tank but didn't see any difference 5-20 vs 5-30 high mileage, both full synthetic, both ether Valvoline or Mobil but 5-30 quiets down engine alot.
one more thing: HTHS for 0-20 oils just above min. requirements of 2.6 if I remember right.
for 5-30 high mileage it's 3.4 for Valvoline and 3.3 for M1 high mileage-big jump in engine protection.

Last edited by molson.david; 09-03-2011 at 12:59 AM.
molson.david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dogging It

Gameroom cash: $116990
Lifetime Supreme Member
View judge34411's Photo Gallery
Guess it is time to toss in this link "once again" If you have not read it, please take the time to do so. Lot's of misinformation and misunderstanding around. Also maybe this article will help stop people using products like slick 50

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Happy driving.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View sijaz's Photo Gallery
Toyota issued a TSB on the oil consumption problem in these engines. TSB #0094-11 (August 2011). Repair covered under powertrain warranty (60 months or 60k miles), otherwise you're SOL.
sijaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View andym1978's Photo Gallery
That motor oil 101 link was an incredible read. I read all 10+ pages. Many thanks!
andym1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View Courtastic's Photo Gallery
Unhappy 2007 Camry LE Burning Oil/Overheating?

I have a 2007 Camry LE (4 cyl.) with 89,900 miles. I have meticulously maintained this vehicle. Like many others, my oil lamp flickered on upon braking one recent afternoon (3,000 miles after an oil change). I went to get the oil changed and they told me that it was smoking and they would not complete an oil change - only filled it with 4 quarts. I wanted to get an oil change and a lookover, so the next weekend I took it to the dealer to have a high-mileage oil change and a check-up. The dealer assured me that nothing was wrong with the car.

I got home and checked the oil (fine of course - only 12 miles), however I pulled the oil cap off just to see -- it was smoking. Not terribly, but definitely smoking more than it should be.

It has been two weeks since this all started. I am checking the oil religiously and will be looking for the blue smoke from the exhaust tomorrow morning.

I had the water pump replaced about 6 months ago. It was fine, but over the past few weeks I have noticed that the temperature gauge is sitting right at the halfway mark. (In it's younger days - it pretty much lived at the quarter mark). Is this because of my oil problem or something separate? IT's winter now, so the gauge isn't a huge concern, but I do worry about it overheating in the hot Atlanta summer. Not even sure if this has anything to do with the water pump.

My questions:

If I am part of this service bulletin, could I just continue to monitor the oil consumption and add oil every 1,000 miles as needed - or would I have to get the pistons and piston rings replaced or the small block replaced?

The smoke coming from the oil tank when I remove the lid - problem?

Do I need to worry about the temperature gauge getting to halfway only 5 minutes into a winter drive?

I planned to drive this car for at least 200K. Should I cut my losses and trade it in?

I SINCERELY appreciate any feedback or direction. I have no warranty. Trying to determine my next steps, and I feel like I can't trust the dealer.
Courtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)