2004 Camry Sunroof/moonroof repair (TMMK) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2004 Camry Sunroof/moonroof repair (TMMK)

Hello All...

Decided I didn't want to pay $1K for a sunroof repair, and decided to check it out and see if I could repair the roof myself. Took the glass off with just four T25 screws to view the track. Motor worked, and roof moved erratically and crookedly. Noticed alot of small plastic pieces laying in both the RH/LH tracks - such garbage construction. Obviously, most of the sliding mechanisms' plastic parts were broken off. Found repair kit at sunroofdoctor.com - $130 with shipping included. Exactly the parts that were broken. The entire sunroof mechanism needs to come off the car, so spent most of the day removing garnish panels, front seats, rear seats, etc to be able to remove the headliner. Even with manual's info, you'll guess at some of the removal techniques as not to break the well constructed plastic (right!!). Total time was 8 hrs from start to finish, but if I had to do it again, probably 3 hrs total time. Learning curve here. Parts were IDENTICAL to original OEM, fit like a charm, and now I have a sunroof that hopefully will cycle more than 100 times before a rebuild. If you have some mechanical skill, and the time, I would highly recommend this kit. Follow instructions carefully, and alignment and adjustment is a no-brainer. Good Luck to those who try this.

Thor Lane
2004 Camry XLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 PM
New TN User

Thor- Do you think it would be possible to leave the seats in the car, drop the headliner down, drop the sunroof mechanism down on top of the headliner, and make the repairs without going to all of the trouble of taking these big parts out of the car?
#3 Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
2004 Camry Sunroof Repair.

Steve:

You might be able to manage if you have an extra pair of hands. I did this alone, and thought that the front seat headrests would not give me much room to work above the liner. The Front seats were actually easy to remove - 4 bolts each, and an electrical quick disconnect. About 10 minutes each. You might try dropping the headliner and leaving the seats in, and if that doesn't give you enough room then you can always remove them.

Most of the time I spent was getting the headliner off. Removing the entire moon roof assembly was a snap and rebuilt it on the floor of my garage. The kit from Sunroof doctor comes with pretty good instructions, but some mechanical ability to figure out the hardware items will help.

Roof is still working perfectly. I didn't document this at all. The headliner, I thought, was the most hassle, just keep removing panels adjacent to the headliner. You might take a look at YouTube to see if someone has video documentation.

Good Luck.
Thor
The Following User Says Thank You to ThorLane For This Useful Post:
tomcamry (07-09-2012)
#4 Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 PM
New TN User

03 Camry Headliner Removal

I'm in the process of repairing factory moonroof. Stuck partially opened. Motor clicks and have tried the reset but won't budge. From what dealer and body shop says it probably has a track problem. Sunroof Doctor has a repair kit for $120 plus s&h. But headliner has to come out first. What a pain in the butt this is going to be.
Step by step- here it goes-
The Dome light will pull straight down- disconnect electrical from back, put in safe place
The front overhead lights and roof switch assembly- From drivers seat, carefully pull down trim edge( closest to you- the back side ) about 2-3 inches- you will see 3 plastic bent (swing ?) type tabs that hook into roof, let down alittle and squeeze electric plug from top to disconnect.Whole unit should be free - put aside in safe place.
Visors- pop off plastic cover at swing arm - finger nail or flat screw driver. Remove 2 screws and rotate arm to free. No force is needed just positioning to remove. Plastic visor clips- pop off with fingers or screw driver. Part of clip will pop off but retaining clip will stay in roof metal.
4 Headliner Grab bars- 2 plastic covers each. Carefully pry off with fingers or screw driver. each piece has 3 little lock tabs, they break easy. Remove screws - place in safe place.
Seats- did not remove. Removed head rests & put front seats mid way foward and reclined backs all the way.
Moonroof & Headliner Trim- Pulled away from edge and removed- it is just a friction fit
Trim Panels- Most of the panels have plastic clips that will break. Before reassmbly advise to go to local dealer/ body shop and buy a few. Local part stores ussually do not have this clip, real toyota style needed.
Front Dash/Windshield to Headliner Trim - both sides- Gently pulled top of trim to undo about halfway removed. Just enough to give room for headliner to come out.
Rear window to headliner trim- same as front.
Center Door Pillar - These pulled off easy - just let them rest in place with seat belt.
Each door has a edging on it - no need to remove- Just slip your finger between headliner and trim edge and headliner will be out.
At this point the headliner, with a just nudge, should be almost completely free and partially hanging down. There are 4 clips supporting the headliner just foward of the rear window, a gentle nudge of the headliner towards the rear should disengage headliner and be hanging. There are 2 wiring harness' attached to headliner with foam tape, pull off tape( use some Gorilla Duct tape at reassembly).
Put key in ignition, turn on, depress brake pedal and put transmission in 1st, turn car off. Put Steering whell all the way up. Manuever headliner towards left front under steering wheel and remove thru right front door. Found out that putting shifter in 1st gave enough room to pull headliner thru front door without too much flexing and bending. No damage was done to headliner.
There are 4 draintubes attached to Moonroof frame. Before anything else, Blow these clean. Either with compressed air or take a few deep breaths and blow hard a few times. 2 of mine were clogged. If these are not clear they will not let any water that gets in to drain. After all this work it would really suck after you put all together, to find water dripping. You can blow them clear from the outside but anything in them will blow back into the headliner and onto the tracking of the moonroof.
Well that is were I'm at now. Tomorrow, I hope, will be taking down and out the actual moon roof assembly to see if I need the Sunroof Doctors repair Kit or if I can hopefully just pop a track back into place.
Before you put the headliner back together check you motor and switch. If you have a bad motor - shop around- used ones can go for $150-200, new ones $375 & up.
I hope any of this can be helpfull to fellow Camry owners.
Will post info about the repair to track when done.
The Following User Says Thank You to chowdahed For This Useful Post:
tomcamry (07-09-2012)
#5 Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM
New TN User

Gen5 Moonroof Repair, Headliner, Parts Options

Thor and Dan - Thanks guys, this is great stuff! I started to tackle this last summer, but decided I might get in over my head, and deferred. I have since removed, recovered, and reinstalled a headliner in another car and now feel more confident about my ability to deal with the Camry, but I won't have a chance to do it until late December. But with your input I am now actually looking forward to it.

My roof didn't close properly when I bought the car. I suspect that it needed to be reset, but that somebody tried pushing it down and broke some plastic pieces. I took the glass off and identified 2 or 3 broken items (hard to tell what I was looking at until I looked at the diagram at the dealer parts counter). I know my motor is good - I'm hoping I don't have problems with the tracks.

I initially hoped that I could repair this from outside the car. I bought the parts I thought I needed from the dealer. There are three parts on each side that look like potential problems. First are the Sliding Roof Lift Arms (63227E on right, 63228F on left) at $21 each. Next are the Removable Roof Hinges (63285 on right, 63286 left) at $16 each. Last are the Roof Drip Channel Guides (63221D right, 63222D left) at $9 each. I only bought 3 of these 6 items, figuring that if I needed more of them I could just order them at the dealer and be delayed a day. Knowing what a major production this repair is, I think I'll replace all 6 items while I'm in there, which should cost less than a hundred dollars. I have procedures from Alldata for removing the sunroof - I'm hoping that the assembly and reassembly of the roof will be obvious, as I do not have instructions at that level of detail. Anyone else tackling this needs to realize that I am working on a Kentucky Camry, and the Japanes moonroof is apparently different.

The fabric covering this headliner has separated at the back pillars, and I am concerned that it may continue to fail across the whole roof, so I will probably wind up recovering it while it's out (a new headliner is something like 4 or 5 hundred dollars).
#6 Old 01-02-2012, 04:26 PM
New TN User

Gen5 My Sunroof Repair

I have repaired my sunroof, replacing all six sliding parts identified in my previous post. I completely removed the headliner and the sunroof from the car, which I think is the only way I could have done it. I did not remove seats or headrests.

Headliner: To remove the overhead console (which contains the maplights and sunroof switch), I squeezed my fingertips under the console (on the windshield side) and pulled stright down. Two spring clips hold that edge into the roof, and the opposite edge is held up by long plastic fingers that hug the headliner. Hint- it's scary to pull trim off when you don't know what the other side looks like - to avoid breaking things, look for the item on eBay first so that you can study the pictures and learn about what you're up against (not to mention the replacement cost if you still manage to screw it up!) The courtesy lamp is also held up by spring clips - pry the plastic lens open first (from driver's side) so that you can see how it works. If you have side curtain airbags, there will be "SRS" badges in the A and C pillar coverings. These have bolts underneath that need to be removed before pulling on the coverings. The badges themselves are not completely removable - they are tethered on one side, so look carefully as you start to pry so that you don't break the tether. The little covers at the ends of the grab handles have 3 little slots that engage tabs that stick out from the handle base - I expected it to be the other way around. If you have a rear window sunscreen, you need to remove the two clips that hold it up.

When we got the headliner out, some of the clips and one of the velcro patches from the back of the headliner were separated from where they belonged - I reattached them with contact adhesive (Sealsall).

Removing the sunroof was easy, but I didn't have good instructions to work from to help me install the new parts, so I had to study the thing a little to take it apart. Once the motor is unbolted, the hinge (where the end of the cable is attached) has to be slid out the back of the track. There is a small stop screw underneath that has to be removed first. There was a lot of resistance in removing and installing these parts. I wiped out the tracks and applied grease (NAPA Sil-Glyde) before sliding the new parts in. I slid everything up to the front (that way everything was exactly parallel from one side to the other, which wasn't the case when it came out.)

I'm glad I replaced all six parts - the two back pieces, which engage the bar that pushes the sunshade back, were both broken, though probably not to the point of stopping the thing from working, The passenger side hinge was broken. The other three parts might have been ok.

I did not recover my headliner - I decided that just glueing the back edges at the C pillar might be good enough - I hope I don't regret it. I also upgraded my overhead console with a used one I found that has Homelink buttons - that worked just fine, as the electrical connection is the same.

If you manage to break springclips from the console, or the plastic inserts in the A pillars that engage the tabs on the coverings, the Dealer has them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_M For This Useful Post:
tomcamry (07-09-2012)
#7 Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM
New TN User

Where are those 4 bolts located to remove the glass itself from the rails? Are they on the inner part of the frame rails. Maybe I need more light in the garage but could't see any bolts/screws. Thanks for the help
#8 Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
New TN User

Moonroof glass Bolt Location

The 4 Torx bolts are parallel to the glass, one near each corner. They are accessed from inside the vehicle, by swinging (inward, toward the center of the glass) the plastic pieces that are underneath the side edges of the glass out of the way (they pop out easily in front, and are hinged in the rear). They are black, just like the metal they screw into, but can be easily seen with any flashlight. When you screw the bolts in, you are holding your screwdriver parallel to the dashboard as well as the glass.

These bolts can be loosened to help you adjust each corner of the glass so that it is flush with the roof.
#9 Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
The 4 Torx bolts are parallel to the glass, one near each corner. They are accessed from inside the vehicle, by swinging (inward, toward the center of the glass) the plastic pieces that are underneath the side edges of the glass out of the way (they pop out easily in front, and are hinged in the rear). They are black, just like the metal they screw into, but can be easily seen with any flashlight. When you screw the bolts in, you are holding your screwdriver parallel to the dashboard as well as the glass.

These bolts can be loosened to help you adjust each corner of the glass so that it is flush with the roof.
Thanks! Already removed the whole assembly and now just waiting for the repair kit to arrive. Hopefully the repair kit install goes as smooth as the removal of the whole sunroof assembly.
#10 Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM
New TN User

Quote:
the hinge (where the end of the cable is attached) has to be slid out the back of the track. There is a small stop screw underneath that has to be removed first. .
In the process today of taking the tracks out and installing new ones. As suspected, there were chunks of plastic pieces in the tracks. how do I detach the spiral cable from the drive part to remove it. I just don't want to break anything or have it become a bigger problem. Thanks!

Last edited by singe; 12-22-2012 at 01:38 PM.
#11 Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 AM
New TN User

Well, I'm going from memory here, but I think I took a slotted screwdriver and pushed on the pieces the cable ends are attached to to push them out the end of the track (end opposite motor). It was difficult. I vaguely recall looking for a way to manually crank the thing (some cars have emergency handles to do this) with the motor attached, but I don't think I found one. I don't remember ever removing the cable from the track.

I also seem to recall moving the loose roof assembly close enough to the electrical connectors in the car to temporarily reattach them, so that I could use the sunroof's motor to do the hard work of moving the cable before I finished the assembly. I may be imaginging this, though.
#12 Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Well, I'm going from memory here, but I think I took a slotted screwdriver and pushed on the pieces the cable ends are attached to to push them out the end of the track (end opposite motor). It was difficult. I vaguely recall looking for a way to manually crank the thing (some cars have emergency handles to do this) with the motor attached, but I don't think I found one. I don't remember ever removing the cable from the track.

I also seem to recall moving the loose roof assembly close enough to the electrical connectors in the car to temporarily reattach them, so that I could use the sunroof's motor to do the hard work of moving the cable before I finished the assembly. I may be imaginging this, though.
Thanks for trying to help out. Its still giving me issues. Maybe I just need to put a little more force into it. Usually im pretty decent mechanically, but this is just pita for me at this point. Thanks again for helping me out!
#13 Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 PM
New TN User

Steve_M, your posts in this thread have been invaluable, they've already given me a lot of help in trying to fix this problem, so many thanks.

I'm at the part where I'm trying to remove the "removable roof hinge" but I have no idea how to disengage it from the sliding lift arm. I have discovered for sure that the roof hinge is the only thing I need to replace as the plastic hinge snapped so the hinge is now in two pieces (idiotic design). It seems that there are two nubs on the roof hinge that fit into two separate tracks on the lift arm and from studying my replacement parts, there seems to be no way to separate the two unless you pull both out at the same time? I'm trying to avoid that so I don't have to disconnect the cable, which could be a pain to reattach especially if I don't get both left and right sides correctly aligned.

Your post said "Once the motor is unbolted, the hinge (where the end of the cable is attached) has to be slid out the back of the track." My 2004 Camry service manual also implies that the hinge can be removed separately from the lift arm. What am I missing here?
#14 Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM
New TN User

biggiep-

It has been too long since I did this, and I honestly am not sure how to answer your question. I can tell you that at the time I did it, I could not understand why the hinge was described as "removable". It is no more removable than the engine or transmission, if you ask me.

In reviewing my post from last year, I'm wondering if I was correct when I said that the cable attaches to the hinge. Maybe it does, and the guide in back attaches to the hinge. Or maybe the cable attaches to the guide. I'm just not sure.

But I think that all of the parts have to come out. At least all on one side. I think that I decided that it was best to replace all six parts since they all had to come out, and I didn't want to reinstall parts that may have been abused either before the roof broke, or during the repair process.
#15 Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 PM
New TN User

Hey Steve, I actually figured it out before your response. The cable does hook up to the hinge and I actually had to slide the hinge up to the notch in the lift arm in order to push it out from the side, with very limited wiggle room. At that point I was able to separate the hinge and the lift arm and remove them one by one.

I replaced all six parts including the roof drip channel guide, but now I have another problem (of a long list of many!) in reinstalling the sunroof. I have it reattached along with the glass, but now when I retract the roof it won't go all the way. It just gets stuck halfway. There's nothing blocking the track or the glass. If I remove the motor, I can manually push the the roof back to the end so nothing is obstructing it. And of course, this roof had no problem retracting all the way before I started the repair. I'm honestly starting to think the $600 my mechanic asked for was worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)