2002 Camry Brake Boost Pump or Master Brake Cylinder ?? Brake issue - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2002 Camry Brake Boost Pump or Master Brake Cylinder ?? Brake issue

Story:
My 2002 camry has a vibration feel while pumping the brake pedal (no other vibration from car). It happens, when you drive slow or fast and stop. Happens when the engine is not even turned on and the brake pedal is just pumped. Its hard to describe the feeling other than zig zaggy on the way down, pulsating, etc. It starts to feel this way on the way down and halfway through the press ends smooth.
I took it to a auto mechanic two days ago and he stated the car had zero brake issues. Rotors and pads are in good condition (sometimes these are the cause for the vibration, but only when driving and stopping), fluid level are good etc. I asked him to test it out and pump it slowly or adruptly, at standstill or while driving, but he still couldn't understand what i was talking about. Researched on the net and found out the likely problem has to do with either Brake booster pump or Master brake cylinder. From a tsb (like a recall note from toyota, see below) , it seemed certain it had to do with the master brake cylinder. I took it to Toyota today and they stated it had to do with the brake booster pump instead , its not worth fixing bc it cost an arm and a leg. Just now i stopped by Active Green + Ross at 110 Gerrard and he stated that its most likely the Master Brake Cylinder, since if you were to pump on the brake while the car was off, turn on the ignition, and if the pedal goes down smoothly , the booster pump should be ok. (it does go down smoothly)
He also stated that for a refurb master cylinder (non toyota) + labour it would come out to 250 bucks. The dealership was going to charge me 1500 for the booster pump and labour. They also advised not to used non toyota parts.
This issue does not hamper safety issues with the car. Its more of an annoyance that i'd like to take care of. I also don't want to pay 1500 for a car with 150k on it.
Please help. Also can active green + ross be trusted to do this delicate procedure? Is Midas or Speedy or Canadian Tire better option??

- TSB - Brakes - Brake Pedal Vibration on Initial DownstrokeBRAKES
BR001-06
REVISED
Title:
BRAKE PEDAL VIBRATION FEELING
Models:
'02 - '04 Camry
January 11, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE :
^January 13, 2006: This TSB has been updated to include a "TSB UPDATE NOTICE" reference to the preceding TSB on this subject.
Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.
TSB UPDATE NOTICE :The information contained in this TSB supercedes TSB No. BR002-05.
TSB No. BR002-05 is now obsolete and should be discarded.
Introduction
In some cases, the customer may feel slight vibration in the brake pedal during initial pedal stroke. The vehicle does not have to be in motion to feel the vibration. A new brake master cylinder service part was developed to address this slight vibration concern.
Applicable Vehicles
2002 - 2004 model year Camry vehicles with 4-cylinder engines and without ABS.
http://library.motoralldata.com/alld...2942/118982719
Parts Information
http://library.motoralldata.com/alld...2942/119230788
Warranty Information
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
*Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
all of these enthusiast and experts and not one feedback?
#3 Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Update

The vibration is sporadic. I would say the initial 10 brake pedal strokes down while driving, it is smooth. No jittery feeling through the pedal, no rubbing/snorting sound.

After the 10 strokes, sporadically the pulsating feeling and sound happen. All of this is through the pedal. When the car is stopped after driving, the pulsating feeling and sound while pumping the pedal still result inconsistently. (testing purpose)

After seeing a few dealers, regular mechanic, etc. Its a split between the master cylinder and Booster. Traditional thinking is that, it can't be the master cylinder. Because this feeling and sound happens 1/4 pressing the pedal down (the brakes are still not engaged at this point). the rest of 3/4 it ends smooth. Also i don't have to floor the pedal to come to a solid stop.

Had the brakes flushed and bled today, and it didn't change the problem. The mechanic who saw the car stated it could have something to do with the brake pedal bushings/springs, instead of the MC (reasons above) and Booster

The biggest mystery for him was how inconsistent this was happening, and only after the engine heated up a bit.

Last edited by rocketdan9; 08-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.
#4 Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Update

The vibration is sporadic. I would say the initial 10 brake pedal strokes down while driving, it is smooth. No jittery feeling through the pedal, no rubbing/snorting sound.

After the 10 strokes, sporadically the pulsating feeling and sound happen. All of this is through the pedal. When the car is stopped after driving, the pulsating feeling and sound while pumping the pedal still result inconsistently. (testing purpose)

After seeing a few dealers, regular mechanic, etc. Its a split between the master cylinder and Booster. Traditional thinking is that, it can't be the master cylinder. Because this feeling and sound happens 1/4 pressing the pedal down (the brakes are still not engaged at this point). the rest of 3/4 it ends smooth. Also i don't have to floor the pedal to come to a solid stop.

Had the brakes flushed and bled today, and it didn't change the problem. The mechanic who saw the car stated it could have something to do with the brake pedal bushings/springs, instead of the MC (reasons above) and Booster

The biggest mystery for him was how inconsistent this was happening, and only after the engine heated up a bit.
Were you able to determine what the problem was? I have similar symptoms and the couple of shops I went to can't seem to pin point what the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)