Help!! Need to pass inspection after changing battery - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gen6 Help!! Need to pass inspection after changing battery

Hi, I have a 2007 Camry LE 4 cyl and live in NY. A couple of weeks ago I changed my battery but had not driven the car much before taking it to inspection and promptly failed the emission test because the evaporative, catalyst and O2 systems were not ready. Since then I drove about 100 miles with a mixture of local roads and highway over a 4 day period. Now I plugged in my OBD II usb scanner and checked the status using ProScan 5.0 and EasyObdII. Both software reported the evaporative system still shows up as not ready, but the other two systems are functional normally.

Does anyone know how to get my evap system to work? I know I have to drive in a specific way but I cannot find any information on the drive cycle of the 2007 camry. Also my car never had any check engine lights or malfunction indicator light. Until I pass my inspection I am afraid to park my car on the streets because the NYC meter maids hand out tickets like you won't believe. Please HELP!!! Much much appreciated!

2007 Camry LE 4 cylinder 54k miles
45k Xenon low beam
Pioneer Avic x920bt Headunit, PAC SWI-PS, PAC WRI-P
Leather seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
イリジウム

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I don't know the exact driving pattern needed to test evap. There are specs somewhere. But try some highway followed by 35-45 mph steady local cruising and coasting. See if that helps.
#3 Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Cruisin' along

ok, start from the very beginning...

1) disconnect the battery cables again, and wait 10 FULL minutes...in this time clean the terminal ends and the cable ends (even if you had done this before, do it again, as it kills time)

2) reconnect the battery cables

3) start up the car, leave it in PARK, and just LET IT IDLE for exactly 15 minutes..!!!

4) get into the car, take it for a drive of various speeds, starting at 25 mph for about 1-5 miles....as time goes on, increase your speed to the LEGAL SPEED LIMITS on your roads...DO NOT SPEED. If you can, THEN get on the highway, and go the SPEED LIMIT for about 5-10 miles....

when you are done doing this driving, hopefully you have gone through the various speeds properly, giving your computer TIME to make the necessary adjustments and re-learning it's factory pre-set parameters. I think the total miles driven will be "about" 50 miles when you do this.

5) scan your car yourself again

6) if everything is working properly, go get the car checked again for the emissions.
#4 Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Official TN Member

If Evap is the only not ready you can go retest:
http://www.nyvip.us/pdf/readiness-failure-factsheet.pdf

"Generally, OBD II vehicles from model year 1996 to model year 2000, inclusive, will fail if 3 or more monitors are set as “Not Ready;” while model year 2001 and newer vehicles will fail when 2 or more monitors are reported as “Not Ready.”"

It's an extremely common problem that one of the monitored systems (particularly evap) will take ages to set "ready" after a reset so you get an allowance of 1 on newer vehicles, 2 on older ones. You may want to print that out and take it with you in case they aren't aware of these rules at the testing site. There's also some instructions at the end that you can give a shot for a "drive cycle" if you want to try and get a ready state.

-Mike
2006 Avalon XLS
#5 Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 AM
New TN User

I would not disconnect the battery again. The data is cumulative. You will have to start collecting data again. There is a "drive cycle" that is published to get the monitors ready, but basically normal driving sets them. The "generic" drive cycle is just a guide, it is not specific and often needs much more drive time (as you have found). Montauk is nice this time of year, take a drive. Take your scanner with you. Although, chances are you won't see Suffolk before they are all ready.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by John1960; 10-18-2011 at 07:12 AM.
#6 Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Cruisin' along

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I would not disconnect the battery again. The data is cumulative. You will have to start collecting data again. There is a "drive cycle" that is published to get the monitors ready, but basically normal driving sets them. The "generic" drive cycle is just a guide, it is not specific and often needs much more drive time (as you have found). Montauk is nice this time of year, take a drive. Take your scanner with you. Although, chances are you won't see Suffolk before they are all ready.

Good luck with it.
well i feel he needs to start from square one again. clear out the memory of any improper data, and go from there. the idle time for re-learning the parameters is needed to be done properly at the very beginning.
#7 Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn8963 View Post
well i feel he needs to start from square one again. clear out the memory of any improper data, and go from there. the idle time for re-learning the parameters is needed to be done properly at the very beginning.
There's no "improper data" related to readiness codes not set, there just isn't sufficient drive time in the ranges during which the car monitors and verifies that the evap system is working correctly. The "ready" states were designed to keep someone from resetting the ecu to clear codes and then immediately taking it to emissions testing (or trying to sell it etc) before the code had a chance to set again. The ready state simply lets you know the car has driven sufficiently for all the parameters to be checked and that they're within the acceptable ranges. I'd agree with the other poster that resetting the ECU again is counter productive, and like I said in my post, he should be able to pass the test now since he only has one not ready state.

-Mike
2006 Avalon XLS
#8 Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Finally Passed!

Thanks for all your input!

I finally passed the inspection after driving another 50 miles of mixed local roads/freeway. I estimated I drove a total of 150 miles since replacing my battery. The weird thing is last night the Evaporative system was showing as not ready in my OBD scanner. But I checked early this morning and it showed up as ready. All I did was let the car sit on my driveway over night. I checked the service manual and found this:

Quote:
Service Tip
The canister pump module performs a fuel evaporative emission leakage check. This check is done approximately five hours after the engine is turned off. Sound may be heard coming from underneath the luggage compartment for several minutes. This does not indicate a malfunction.
Pinpoint pressure test procedure is adopted by pressurizing the fresh air line that runs from the canister pump module to the air filler neck. For details, see the 2007 Camry Repair Manual (Pub. No. RM0250U).

2007 Camry LE 4 cylinder 54k miles
45k Xenon low beam
Pioneer Avic x920bt Headunit, PAC SWI-PS, PAC WRI-P
Leather seats
#9 Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM
New TN User

Congratulations! I bet you feel relieved.

I have learned for years now, never let a NYS inspection go even close to the deadline, for reasons just like this.

I am glad it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)