Tires H Rated or V Rated - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View zipit555's Photo Gallery
Tires H Rated or V Rated

I have an '05 Camry XLE V6 which requires 215/60/16 tires. Normally, I would not think there would be a question about which tire to get.....the H rated right? (Don't need a V rated tire for this car) I am still torn which way to go between the Michelin Primacy MXV4 or the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. Here is the rub......the Michelin is H rated, but oddly, in that tire size comes with 9/32 of new tread depth versus the GY which is V rated but comes with 12/32 of new tread depth. Pricing for the GY will be about $115-$120 cheaper when all is said and done after rebates, etc. How will the V rated effect ride quality and tread life versus the H rated tire taking into account the different starting tread depth.

Both these tires seem to be very highly rated. Is there another tire out there you all like in an H rated tire that offers a nice quiet ride but capable handling in the snow?

Thanks!
zipit555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Gameroom cash: $956631
Lifetime Supreme Member
View Zembonez's Photo Gallery
Unless you plan on extended ultra high speed runs, you can use either one. The H rated tires are fine. Every V rated tire I have owned had a harsh ride compared to others.

Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zembonez For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (06-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $560850
View tengiday's Photo Gallery
If you think the choice of speed rating depends on the maximum speed you drive, I think most cars on the roads can use H or lower ratings. It is extremely rare for us to drive above 100 mph. Speed rating decides the structure of a tire, and every car's steering is tuned with a typical speed rating.

What is the speed rating of your original tires? Mine came with V rating.
- Folding LED signal side mirrors with JDM control switch
- HID retrofit headlights with S2000 projectors and Denso ballasts, fog lights

Last edited by tengiday; 11-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
tengiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $359565
View Chris311's Photo Gallery
Speed rating is not always about being able to go fast.

I recommend sticking with the OEM speed rating. The lower the speed rating the softer the sidewall. Your cars suspension was built for a certain type of tire, and changing the speed rating may have a negative effect on the handling.

As an example, I put a set of all Seasons on my RX8 (Pirelli PSero Nero M+S) that had a softer sidewall than the tires I had before (Stock OEM) and I immediatly had them replaced with another tire after driving for about 5 miles. The car felt like it was driving on a road made out of marsh mellows and leaned a lot on turns. The car actually felt dangerous to drive.

My advice is to try an H rated tire, and if it drives how you want then keep them. If you go to a place like Discout tires they will let you try a set of tires and bring them back within 250 miles and replace them if you don't like them.

Last edited by Chris311; 11-08-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Chris311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Interesting point, according to tirerack, the oem tire is a V rated tire......does that sound right? Would I be doing myself an injustice with an H Rated tire? Anything has got to be better than what i have on it which is an economy brand tire that is either an S or T rated tire. (They were on the car when I bought it)
Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Where are you going to buy the tires from? If its a local tire shop ask if they will let you bring them back within a certain number of miles if you don't like them. That way you can test a cheaper H rated tire. If the handling is fine, then you can keep them and save some money.

What price range are you looking at?

Also, the V rating is correct

Last edited by Chris311; 11-09-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Looking at both Discount Tire Direct and Tirerack and have a local mechanic mount and balance and alignment. Pricing on these are around $500 for the GY but they have a $160 rebate (net = $340) if you buy with a GY credit card or $525 for the Michelins and they have a $70 rebate (net = $455) going right now plus cost of install which would be the same for both. I am assuming since buying off the net the try for 30 days is not an option. Again, the weird thing is the H rated only has 9/32 tread depth in my tire size versus 12/32 for the V rated.

Last edited by zipit555; 11-09-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Be sure to read the reviews, surveys, and tests on Tirerack for the tires you are looking at. Just because they are GY or Michelin does not mean it is a good tire as both companies make really crappy tires and really good tires.

Also, don't be like my Grandparents and think that more $$$ equals a better tire, it is not always the case.

What specific tire models are you looking at? Depending on what GY tire, $325 is a steal. Heck, even if it is just a mediocre tire that is a good price. (However I would never put a crap tire on my car, no matter how cheap they are. I value my life too much)
Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

It's the GY Assurance ComforTred Touring V Rated. Reviews on Tirerack are very good but I have bought based on those reviews before and been disappointed. The $160 rebate I think really makes it a good price. My biggest concern is usually a V rated tire (which if I understand right) does not ride as well as an H rated tire. (Broad generalization I know) The reviews indicate it is a comfortable and quiet tire and does decent in the snow.

Last edited by zipit555; 11-09-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $960430
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
I personally don't like GoodYear tires, however would go for Continental ProContact or try Yokohamas. Never done that however.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 is a quiet tire and smooth too. I'd go with the V rating. Tires are a structural part of the suspension system. Besides, it's usually about $10-12 more from H to V. Michelin often has the $70 off 4 tires special at Costco.

Costco website shows: P215/60R16 94V
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Both my mom's 2005 Avalon Limited and my Grandparents 2009 Avalon Limited came with the Primacy MXV4 (Though I don't remember if they were the fuel saver ones or just the normal ones) and they both needed to be replaced by around 25K miles. They had plenty of tread left but were already cracked and dry rotted and had lost most of the dry and wet traction. Both my Mom and Grandparents replaced them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS (I also run them on my Camry) and both have liked them a lot better than the MXV4 OEM tires. You may not run into that problem living in a cooler climate. (Cracking and dry rotting are problematic in South Texas. I usually replace tires from drying out rather than low tread, as the dry traction greatly reduces by that time)

To bad the DWS are not available in your size as I would highly recommend those tires (As would a few other people on these forums).

I say the GoodYears are at a great price, and they are the highest rated tire in their category on Tirerack. Tirerack has never failed me before and I have made 4 tire purchases baised off of Tirerack reviews, surveys, and tests. (you gotta compared all 3 to determine what features of a tire you most desire)

Lol, didn't mean for that to rhyme.

Last edited by Chris311; 11-10-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic

Gameroom cash: $1181450
Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,692 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View hardtopte72's Photo Gallery
As said above stay away from Goodyear.

As for the speed rating don't worry so much about the speed rating as you do about the tires characteristics such as treadwear, traction, and noise.

The V rides harsh argument is just a general non true statement. Remember Avalons, all Gen 6 Camrys, and plenty of plush ride cars come with V or higher ratings. The compound of the tire is what matters.

Also remember when comparing treadwear numbers remember that these numbers are not regulated and are useful on for measuring 2 or more tires from one specific brand. Meaning the Michelin 500 Treadwear is not the same as the Yokohama 500 Treadwear.

Just stick to a tire based on how much you are willing to pay and its characteristics. Tirerack has a lot of tire testing done and the results of most can be read.

If i were you I would look into the Michelin Energy/Primacy MXV4 H or V or the Yokohama Avid Envigor H or V rated (2 dollar difference per tire). Even the Yokohama Advan S4 and the Michelin Pilot Exalto H or V are good but more expensive.
hardtopte72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
As said above stay away from Goodyear.

As for the speed rating don't worry so much about the speed rating as you do about the tires characteristics such as treadwear, traction, and noise.

The V rides harsh argument is just a general non true statement. Remember Avalons, all Gen 6 Camrys, and plenty of plush ride cars come with V or higher ratings. The compound of the tire is what matters.

Also remember when comparing treadwear numbers remember that these numbers are not regulated and are useful on for measuring 2 or more tires from one specific brand. Meaning the Michelin 500 Treadwear is not the same as the Yokohama 500 Treadwear.

Just stick to a tire based on how much you are willing to pay and its characteristics. Tirerack has a lot of tire testing done and the results of most can be read.

If i were you I would look into the Michelin Energy/Primacy MXV4 H or V or the Yokohama Avid Envigor H or V rated (2 dollar difference per tire). Even the Yokohama Advan S4 and the Michelin Pilot Exalto H or V are good but more expensive.
You should listen to your own advice. You can't say that brand X is good and brand Y is bad, you have to look at individual tire models as each brand makes good and bad tires. Saying to stay away from all Goodyear tires goes against your advice of reading the reviews, surveys, and test results on Tirerack, Why? Because the Goodyear tires he is looking at got the best reviews, 1st place in the surveys, and first place in the Tirerack tests for the category that they are in. So which is it? Go by the advice or Tirerack or avoid The tires because they are Goodyear?

Also, you can't always ignore the speed rating. Like you said, you should pay attention to the tire characteristics. The speed rating can determine the characteristics of a tire so it is something you should not ignore. If a car's suspension was designed for a certain type of speed rated tire, the driving dynamics will change if the tire speed rating is changed. Why? Because in general, a higher speed rating means a stiffer sidewall.

However, a stiffer sidewall does not always mean a harsher ride. Like you pointed out, the Camry was designed with a Speed rated V tire and the Camry XLE is far from having a harsh ride. However, you could put that same tire on a different car and get a harsh ride. It is all how the suspension was designed, which is why I recommend sticking with the OEM speed rating. That does not mean you HAVE to stick with it though, as some people might find the change in driving dynamics better. While a lower speed rated tire may provide a softer ride, it may also dull initial turn ins and produce more lean in corners. That is why I recommend trying a set of tires first if you are able too. It all comes down to what the driver feels is the most important characteristic of a tire.

For me, I prefer turn in, hydro planing resistance, and ultimate dry/wet traction over noise, comfort, and tread life. While others prefer the opposite.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Need For Speed

Gameroom cash: $1340150
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View arabianobsession's Photo Gallery
Personally, I have yet to see a Goodyear tire I like or that rides well, with one exception-the Triple Treds.
arabianobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Lol, and the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread are the only Goodyear tires I have tried and I didn't like them. I tried those first before getting the DWS tires and they had horrible grip and were very loud. They sound like Mud Terrain tires going down the highway.

which tires should i go for?

Last edited by Chris311; 11-10-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)