DIY LED Door Sill "TOYOTA" tutorial - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View bossman137's Photo Gallery
DIY LED Door Sill "TOYOTA" tutorial

Hey y'all, so I just finished my lil project, i opted out of dropping 100+ bucks for some cheap chinese crap (ive had bad experience with chinese products), and decided to go ahead and make my own led lit door sills exactly what and how i wanted and here is the result followed by the quick walkthrough:
Enjoy!

Step 1:Prep work/planning
So i didn't decide to documen this first part so no pics sorry but its easy.
1. Decide on a what word or symbol or both you want, i opted with the toyota symbol with "TOYOTA" in caps on both the front door sills
2. Print pattern on just a regular piece of paper.
3. lay some blue painters tape linearly, tape printouts over tape, and cutout.
4. If your careful you only have to make one "tape Stencil" you can use for both sides, i put them down then colored in with a red sharpie

note: I obviously wanted serious precise results, i'm not artist, if you can freehand it more power to you, skip all those steps, but this will look real professional this way gauranteed

Step 2: see the dremell, be the dremell
this takes a little bit of time, but if you're a DIY guy you're accustomed to it, and heck i loved it. But obviuosly just dremel out the parts of your pattern you want light to be coming through.
I'll be honest the entire "TOYOTA" took me the same amount of time the stupid symbol did, its hella hard lol, but its what i wanted to i used a very small bit.

Note: I also sanded down the little bump pattern and repainted black with vynil paint, again just my preference.

Step 3:Resin resevoir
So our next big step is to pour whats called "casting resin" in the holes. For those who don't know its 2 little bottles like 15-20 bucks, you pour together in equal parts, mix for like 5 min, and it will get super hard like plastic after it reacts and sets.
So what i did her was just use tape over the front of the holes (using my fingers to press around edges to ensure a good seal and not resin leakage.

Step 4: Time to pour!
So i already explained the resin, i poured in the back becasue of the curve, and resin usually comes clear, but for an extra couple bucks you can buy this white paint like stuff thats meant to color the resin, i juste added a couple of drops while mixing and it was a white opaque feel like the led apple on the back of macs.

Let set, ba boom ba boom. then of course you order a real of LED strip, like 15 bucks for 16 feet which i'm using the rest to accent light foot wells and underseats all over. And i just tapped into the courtesy light so that it would only turn on when door opened on that side. I didn't post much on wiring since there is a million posts on led stuff, but if someoen is actually going to take a go i'd be happy to finish the thread.
All in all it took maybe 40-50 bucks, and now i have enough resin to do the back if i wanted to as well, and enough Led strip to do my entire car... or pay twice as much for chinese stickers... lol you choose
bossman137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Workin' on it.

Gameroom cash: $161051
Garage
View Musicmansell's Photo Gallery
Gen6

That is awesome bro! Well done...and you may have given me a sort of idea...thanks.
Musicmansell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmansell View Post
That is awesome bro! Well done...and you may have given me a sort of idea...thanks.
well share if you do
Old 11-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Workin' on it.

Garage
Gen6

I have been trying to figure out a way to take my "camry" badge I took off the car's rear and some how inlay it on the dash on the passenger side above the glove box, kinda like the canadian version. But your mod gave me an idea to see if it is possible to not only set it in the dash molding, but have it backlit as well. It would take some doing, but would look really cool. IMO. Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View cavy2camry's Photo Gallery
Nice work...props on the customization
cavy2camry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Gameroom cash: $431525
View glenn14's Photo Gallery
Looks awsome..major props !!!!

Glenn
Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Powered By Chicano

Gameroom cash: $229151
View 7SickZ0's Photo Gallery
nice! can you post a picture of the resin you bought?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $230100
View Bills07CamLE's Photo Gallery
MAN GREAT WRITE UP! Like they say MAD PROPS and yes please post pics or at least the name of the stuff you used.
Bills07CamLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
The darker the better

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View TJHammer's Photo Gallery
Great job...and dremmel courage
Now I am seriously thinking of having one of my artistic students draw out a design of "Hammer" and dremmel that in, hmnnnn
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills07CamLE View Post
MAN GREAT WRITE UP! Like they say MAD PROPS and yes please post pics or at least the name of the stuff you used.
1. any CLEAR casting resin, i bought my at a hobby lobby.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...-epoxy-807347/

2. opaque casting resin dye, http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...igment-761445/
for like a whole cup of resin mix i used probably just 10 drops, opaque is obviously what you want with this not a solid white.

3. For the LED strip, go to ebay and search "led strip" in general there are two types, waterproof and non waterproof, waterproof is only like a couple bucks extra so iopted for that and am happy i did. here is the EXACT one i bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-W...ht_2958wt_1270

A lot of those ebay sellers come out of china though and take WEEKS! if i were to do it again i would go off ebay and pay a few bucks extra and have it in less than a week. I havn't been able to find ANYWHERE that supplies these near my home here in utah.

Aside from that the only thing i had to teach myself was some basic soldering for the led strip, super easy stuff though if anyone needs a walkthrough i can help with that too.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHammer View Post
Great job...and dremmel courage
Now I am seriously thinking of having one of my artistic students draw out a design of "Hammer" and dremmel that in, hmnnnn
Lol its really only scary until you commit yourself with that first bit. But ya dremmel work is reall just slow is all, Ya post post post if you and any of ya all end up trying it!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

little update, i found someon on this forum who bought this LED ribon stuff. Its wateproof, super bright white leds every every inch or so and its like 14 bucks for 3 meters of this stuff. So i put it under the seats and where my feet go. Now along with the door sill, i have some serious accent lighting triggered by door open
Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Workin' on it.

Garage
You mean like this, but in white?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Ya exactly, i took these in the daytime i'll post some more from night, but it looks phenominal with the toyota on the door sills.
I just soldered a negative and positive lead onto each of these and cut it the desired length and they have sticky backing that just slaps on
I wired them in parralel with the source that turns on the marker lights on the door.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View klobin's Photo Gallery
This is awesome I definitely like this more than the chinese option, you can definitely have something unique this way, I will be doing this. Do you have a DIY on your LED grille?
klobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)