Brand New 2011 Camry SE AC ODOR - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Brand New 2011 Camry SE AC ODOR

Hi, Everyone

I have been lurking around this forum for the past month. I recently purchased a brand new 2011 Camry SE. My concern started happening around the 4k miles point when I noticed a bad mildew odor coming from my AC vent. I have search and read many threads regarding AC odors but not a single threads lead to a TSB or permanent fix. I spoke to Toyota customer relation and the gentlemen said this was a normal thing for Toyota Camry. Please can anyone shared for insight why is this happening to a brand new car. Their recommendation is to switch my AC from recirculating to fresh whenever I get to my final destination. This is a first time that I hear a car manufacture tell an operator not to strictly use the recirculating mode. Any suggestion or recommendation will be gladly appreciated. I already started to engage on a paper trail with Toyota Motors as they appear not to address my concern. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djorn2k View Post
Hi, Everyone

I have been lurking around this forum for the past month. I recently purchased a brand new 2011 Camry SE. My concern started happening around the 4k miles point when I noticed a bad mildew odor coming from my AC vent. I have search and read many threads regarding AC odors but not a single threads lead to a TSB or permanent fix. I spoke to Toyota customer relation and the gentlemen said this was a normal thing for Toyota Camry. Please can anyone shared for insight why is this happening to a brand new car. Their recommendation is to switch my AC from recirculating to fresh whenever I get to my final destination. This is a first time that I hear a car manufacture tell an operator not to strictly use the recirculating mode. Any suggestion or recommendation will be gladly appreciated. I already started to engage on a paper trail with Toyota Motors as they appear not to address my concern. Thank you in advance.
Check the cabin air filter (located behind the glove box) and see if its clogged up or anything is stuck in it (though at 4k miles, and a 2011 to boot, it seems unlikely this should be the case). The A/C drain could also be plugged up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zmon For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (03-05-2012)
#3 Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Official TN Member

You could run a can of aerosol evaporator sanitizer through the AC system. You can get it at most parts stores. Follow directions. Regards
#4 Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
New TN User

It's so normal that the dealer offered to replace my wife's evaporator core with a revised part on our first complaint. There is a TSB on this for 2010s and do not believe it mentions 2011.

This part was replaced for free under warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to wdoyle0447 For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (03-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)