transmission fluid change? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View jian1's Photo Gallery
transmission fluid change?

My toyota camry 3.0L 2005 le with auto tranny is now over 400k km (not sure about the figure in miles), despite the sales told me that the tranny fluid should never been changed, I still feel it might be necessary to do so.

Will it cause problem if I do a complete flush/ auto tranny fluid change such as clutch slipping or even gear damaging?
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $960430
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
About 248K miles. Canadian versions may be different but that car may have the U151E transmission on T-IV dino fluid.

Some say changing ATF on a high miles car can cause problems because the new ATF with new detergent can clean off the deposits and plug things up.

But IMO, I'd drop the pan and change out the felt filter as well. But 248K miles or 400K kms is pretty good on the original ATF fill.

The T-IV dino fluids should be drained/refilled every 32K km or so. The WS (synthetic blend??) around 64K km. So you're actually doing quite well.
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
About 248K miles. Canadian versions may be different but that car may have the U151E transmission on T-IV dino fluid.

Some say changing ATF on a high miles car can cause problems because the new ATF with new detergent can clean off the deposits and plug things up.

But IMO, I'd drop the pan and change out the felt filter as well. But 248K miles or 400K kms is pretty good on the original ATF fill.

The T-IV dino fluids should be drained/refilled every 32K km or so. The WS (synthetic blend??) around 64K km. So you're actually doing quite well.
The Canadian version is different from US's?! these crazy Canadian Toyota technicians, why did they make everything different from US. The question is shall I go for fluid change right now? Be on original T-IV dino or some other sorta synthetic? I might need to drive it for another 400k km.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View william m dowd's Photo Gallery
You have 256,000 miles with out changing the trans oil that is rarely done, If it were my car I would have the transmission pan droped change out the filter and refill the trans by a trans shop I put over 529,000 miles on a 1986 toyota cressida with the same trans power steering rear end & motor using mobil one synthetic oil. I have a 1991 Lexus 400 with almost 300,000 miles and I change the trans fluid every 25,000 how some people get lucky and can go 256,000 on the orignal trans fluid is beyond me. my 2006 camry uses mobil one synthetic oil in everything it only has 57,000 miles I use it for a weekend car and will drive it 300,000 no problem. All camrys from 2007 and up now a special trans fluid called WS they say don't change till 100,000 miles if I buy a new camry I will change it every 40,000 and there is a special procedure to do it. you CANT FILL IT FROM A FILL TUBE it is a drop and fill method and the trans has to be 115 degrees and a computer is used to do. This another way for the dealer to get your money
william m dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View Eaglefan's Photo Gallery
I have a 3.0 '06 that I change every 30M miles. I use the factory oil I get from the dealer. I buy it by the case and they give me a discount that comes to about $5.50/qt. I mention this as it is important to use the correct oil. If you try stuff you buy at aftermarket stores be very cautious and thoroughly check to make sure it is compatible and has the right makeup.

The first time I changed it I did remove the pan. It is a PITA and you may have to remove your front left tire to get to some bolts.

Regarding changing after 250M??? That is your call, but don't be surprised if you have problems. If it were me I would change it, but that is just my own opinion.

GL
Eaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

damn, you guys scared the shxt out of me.

The sales person said explicitly that there's no need to change the tranny fluid as it is life-time maintenance free some sorta.

btw, which brand of synthetic oil should I go for? Flushing or no? Can I DIY it myself? Will flushing causing even more problems?
The Following User Says Thank You to jian1 For This Useful Post:
Richard8655 (09-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I have heard of only a few people who went 150,000 miles with out changing the transmission fluid but never 250,000 miles. Your the first, the oil must be black and burned I would probably just run it now till it dosen't go anymore. if you want to change the oil in a 2005 Camry just use the Toyota Type 4 factory oil don't use dextron or you can use Mobil one synthetic trans fluid as I do, in my 2005 Camry and 57,000 miles no problems. I you do change the trans fluid drop the pan and clean out the magnets and dirt and keep chugging along. 250,000 miles without a transmission fluid change is amazing ...

Last edited by william m dowd; 03-11-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Update:

I've called the Toyota Tech in Toronto, and they said I won't experience a problem after flushing if the tranny currently works fine. However, they won't replace the tranny filter normally, and replacing tranny filter costs a whoooppping CAD$560!! Flushing only costs CAD$220.

flushing or no flushing? Shall I try somewhere else such as some quick lub places?

Last edited by jian1; 03-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

go to any good transmission shop and they will do it for a normal price, when you drop the pan the filter is right there and only takes a minute to drop and clean the filter. If my memory is correct the Cressida only has a screen to clean no big deal. Don't go to those fast lube places they really mess things up us a trans shop. Good luck
Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Need For Speed

Gameroom cash: $1340150
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View arabianobsession's Photo Gallery
Toyota just issued a TSB for 2005 and newer vehicles saying explicitly that they don't even WANT people to change their transmission fluids. Even though I work in the service department at a Toyota dealer, I think it's completely ridiculous. If it were me I'd change the fluid regularly regardless....I have a nasty feeling Toyota is trying to drum up some repeat business for new car sales Except by doing so, it's going to bite them in the arse.
arabianobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arabianobsession For This Useful Post:
Kooter (06-29-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $119600
Supreme Member
View dz63's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
Update:

I've called the Toyota Tech in Toronto, and they said I won't experience a problem after flushing if the tranny currently works fine. However, they won't replace the tranny filter normally, and replacing tranny filter costs a whoooppping CAD$560!! Flushing only costs CAD$220.

flushing or no flushing? Shall I try somewhere else such as some quick lub places?
I am not sure about the 3.0L, but I changed the fluid and the filter on my 2002 2.4L and it was a major pain to get the transmission pan off. I almost gave up until I searched on here and found the trick. You have to jack up the engine about 1/2" and remove the left front tire to go in from the side to get 3 of the bolts out. By comparison, on my 1996 Camry and 2008 Corolla, the pan bolts are out in the open and dropping the pan is a piece of cake.

I bought a King aftermarket filter kit for $38.41 (taxes in) from Parts Source. I also used genuine Toyota TIV fluid ($82.72 for a case of 12 - taxes in) from my local dealer. I change my tranny fluid every 50,000km (about 5 years of driving for me) and the filter every 100K km.

I wrote a DIY procedure for tranny filter and fluid replacement on my 96 Camry at this link.

DIY: 5S-FE Transmission Fluid & Strainer Replacement Procedure

The procedure is nearly identical for the 2002. You can browse though it and see if it is something that you would like to tackle yourself. I used 8 liters of TIV fluid to do the flush on my 2.4L.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View mmm666's Photo Gallery
today I drained the transmission on my 2006 camry v6. I use hex key and drain the oil out.. I didn't know how many qt came out.. I put new 3.7 qt toyota t-iv from the dipstick.. Now it is slowly leaking from the transmission drain plug... anyone know what I did wrong ?

Last edited by mmm666; 03-14-2012 at 10:23 PM.
mmm666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $119600
Supreme Member
View dz63's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm666 View Post
today I drained the transmission on my 2006 camry v6. I use hex key and drain the oil out.. I didn't know how many qt came out.. I put new 3.7 qt toyota t-iv from the dipstick.. Now it is slowly leaking from the transmission drain plug... anyone know what I did wrong ?
I had the exact same thing happen on my 2002. I stopped the slow leak on mine by really tightening the drain plug down. If that would not have worked, I would have gone to Toyota and bought a new gasket for the drain plug.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View mmm666's Photo Gallery
thanks dz.. It is not leaking much no more. The transmission oil level is ok. I think I put too much.. Maybe I put 3.5 qt and see how it goes next time.
mmm666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
'04 Camry XLE V6

Gameroom cash: $422150
View Kooter's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
My toyota camry 3.0L 2005 le with auto tranny is now over 400k km (248,000 miles) (not sure about the figure in miles), despite the sales told me that the tranny fluid should never been changed, I still feel it might be necessary to do so.

Will it cause problem if I do a complete flush/ auto tranny fluid change such as clutch slipping or even gear damaging?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianobsession View Post
Toyota just issued a TSB for 2005 and newer vehicles saying explicitly that they don't even WANT people to change their transmission fluids. Even though I work in the service department at a Toyota dealer, I think it's completely ridiculous. If it were me I'd change the fluid regularly regardless....I have a nasty feeling Toyota is trying to drum up some repeat business for new car sales Except by doing so, it's going to bite them in the arse.
I am told that beginning in [either 2003 or] 2004 that Toyota and Lexus automatic transmissions NEVER need fluid replacement/change unless the vehicle is used for towing or other severe use. I know my 2004 5-Speed (U151E) ATF dipstick label states: NOTICE: NO NEED TO REPLACE ATF UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITION.

Obviously automatic transmissions are designed and built far better than decades ago if they will go 250,000+ miles without a fluid change...even when using dino-based fluid that most people feel should be changed every 15K-30K miles or so. I'm guessing one of the major differences in modern transmission design keeps the operating temperature much lower than years ago. Nevertheless, I don't see any problem with owners doing a simple drain-and-fill every so often if it makes them feel better.

Considering each simple drain-and-fill removes 40% of the old dirty fluid, it only takes two D/Fs to replace 64% (36% dirty fluid remaining) of the transmission's fluid...and three D/Fs replaces 78% (22% dirty fluid remaining) of the old dirty fluid. (Two D/Fs: .60 x .60 = 36% dirty fluid remains; Three D/Fs: .60 x .60 x .60 = 22% dirty fluid remains; Etc.)

Last edited by Kooter; 06-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Kooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)