Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyota camry replacement key; would this work?

29K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  midnitevil 
#1 ·
I was looking for a replacement key because mine bent when I was at the gym. I must have dropped a dumbbell on it which really erked me. Next time, I'm leaving my keys in my bag.

Anyway, I saw the prices and the keys are expensive, like 150$ and they need to be "programme".

I found this one on amazon.com for a very low price:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-2009-TOYOTA-CAMRY-KEY/dp/B001AUJATQ[/ame]

It does NOT look like it has that remote starter but I don't care - would I only need to get it cut at a dealer or such? Anyone knows if something like Home Depot would do it for me?

Please let me know.

#2 ·
Seems like it would. When my dad bought his 08 corolla, the car came with only one key and it was an aftermarket one. Because he though he'd be fine, he kept driving the car with one key, unlocking the car at the doorhandle all the time. After about a year, the key bent and a few uses later broke.
He had to drive to the dealership and get an oem toyota made there for like 150 bucks. I'd say he's elarned his lesson, but he's just doing the same thing with this one and not having a spare. It looks like it'll work fine, but it'll still have to be programmed at the dealer... and I have no idea what that'll run ya. Even if they're able to cut the key at home depot or any keymaker, unless its programmed, the most it'll do is manually unlock the doors and trunk from the keyhole.

#5 ·
Actually, what he did with the old one is ground the key part all the way off, and put it in a keyring with a copy of the key but without the handle. The way he works it is as he's turning the new key, he holds the controller of the old one close to the handle of the new one and they work as one. Not very convenient, but a cheap quick fix until you can afford a new one -shrug-

#6 ·
can you transfer the chip from the key into the new key? it wont have to be programmed then. Im trying to get the chip out of my one of my master keys so i can purchase the flip key. The chip is really glued in there and is a pain to get out. I'm still trying to get it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.