Stock Toyota 0-60 and 1/4 mile times - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View edmontontoy's Photo Gallery
Stock Toyota 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Toyota-0-60-mph-Times.html

Its pretty cool knowing we can take out almost every toyota. Were faster then the turbo MR2's, turbo all-wheel drive Celicas, mk3 turbo Supras. All of them get to see our led tail lights.

Only exception is the 93+ turbo Supras and the beasty Tundra 5.7 Supercharged. But, turbo or supercharge the 2gr-fe and then we'll see what's up.
short shifter
K&N filter
edmontontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View EddieVVTI's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontontoy View Post
http://www.zeroto60times.com/Toyota-0-60-mph-Times.html

Its pretty cool knowing we can take out almost every toyota. Were faster then the turbo MR2's, turbo all-wheel drive Celicas, mk3 turbo Supras. All of them get to see our led tail lights.

Only exception is the 93+ turbo Supras and the beasty Tundra 5.7 Supercharged. But, turbo or supercharge the 2gr-fe and then we'll see what's up.

Nice thanks for the link. 2012 Camry V6 is even faster....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
2GR Power

Gameroom cash: $934771
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
View GT-R's Photo Gallery
2012 V6 has the same engine as ours, it can't be faster..!!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $247101
View nitronate33's Photo Gallery
when i think fast, i don't think toyota, sorry. however, that being said, a 14.1 1/4 mile time for the 2012 V6 camry certainly isn't shabby.
nitronate33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
2012 V6 has the same engine as ours, it can't be faster..!!

I was also upset when I learned this. However, every car magazine and online review on the new 7th gen v6 camry agrees that it is faster than the 6th gen. Also, look at the times posted. 7th gen puts up better numbers in 0-60 and 1/4 mile everytime. I tried to do some research and what I've learned is that the 7th gen camry is lighter in weight (close to 200lbs less than 6th gen) and has better traction. (revised suspension, sitckier tires stock). Yup the 7th gen has better handling also - looks like it will pull away from 6th gen on twisties as well. All this and it also gets better gas mileage than the 6th gen!!!

The only thing we have going for us is in the looks dept. Just about everyone agrees the 6th gen has a way sexier looking exterior.
(7th gen honestly looks like an oversized Corolla to me)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
2GR Power

Gameroom cash: $934771
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
View GT-R's Photo Gallery
Oh yea, every time I see a Gen 7 I had to stare at it for a while to tell if it's a corolla or really a camry.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I heard somewhere that 100lbs less weight is worth about 0.1 sec on the 1/4 so the 200lbs less 2012 camry with better suspension does make sense it does a 14.1 compared to our 14.4.

I'd still like to see for myself what a 07 v6 camry could do. Possible street legal event coming my way.
short shifter
K&N filter
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $361665
View Chris311's Photo Gallery
Car and Driver posted a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 14.3 seconds @ 99mph for the 2007 Camry SE V6. Car and Driver usually posts the fastest times of any of the car magazines.

For the 2012 Camry SE V6 Car and Driver posted a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 14.3 @ 101mph.

While the 2012 Camry is lighter (121lbs lighter, not 200lbs; 3528lbs vs 3407lbs) it also has longer 1st through 3rd gears, which helps improve fuel economy and Toyota says evens them out for the 0-60. Its once you get past 60 is when the weight difference starts to show. (That is why the 2012 posts the same 1/4 mile time as the 2007 but is going 2mph faster at that point) Also, the 2012 Camry SE's have slightly wider tires which provide better traction on launch. Put a pair of the same size wheels and tires on a Gen 6 and it should post identical quarter mile times as the Gen 7.

Gen 7 has a slightly better power to weight ratio, but the Gen 6 is geared more for acceleration. So in the end, its whatever car can basically gain the most traction and since the Gen 7 comes stock with wider 18" wheels it starts off with a big advantage, until it comes up to a Gen 6 with wider tires as well.

Last edited by Chris311; 05-11-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Chris311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

So the gen6 and gen7 have the same 1/4mile time 14.3. If you put wider tires on our cars then we'd have a lower time, no?
short shifter
K&N filter
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Only if you are having problems hooking up at launch. The tires on the Gen 6 are really skinny (215 width) and do not offer a lot of traction which allows the Gen 6 to easily spin through first and sometimes through second gear (I can get my car to spin through 2nd on our smooth frontage roads). I havn't driven a Gen 7 SE V6 yet so I do not know if there is still a traction issue with the wider tires. If you can still easily spin the tires in first then putting stickier or wider tires on will help with the launch and get you a better 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.

Since there are a lot more summer tire options for the Gen 7 (There is only 1 summer tire that I have found that can fit the stock Gen 6 wheel, which means almost all gen 6 Camrys are running a type of all season tire which doesn't offer the same amount of traction as a summer tire) you could try an Ultra High Performance or an Extreme performance summer tire (Or even a Max performance tire if you're rich) with the stock size to see how they work before you go dropping thousands on wider wheels and wider tires.

Last edited by Chris311; 05-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
ilikecamrys

Gameroom cash: $693135
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
View Cking's Photo Gallery
Or just get a wider wheel and some soft grippy meaty tires :P

I suppose I should give it a shot but I dont know anywhere that'll let me do a 0-60 without popo coming

2k8 V6 SE\\MoriMotoH1 Retrofit||Work Emotion CR-ULTIMATES
||BuddyClub Coilovers||SPC Bolts||TRD Dual Catback Exhaust||
Megan Strut Bar||StopTech Slotted Rotors||PosiQuiet Pads||Fujita CAI||TN lanyards
Cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cking View Post
Or just get a wider wheel and some soft grippy meaty tires :P

I suppose I should give it a shot but I dont know anywhere that'll let me do a 0-60 without popo coming
Wider wheels and better tires I said should be the last resort if you are trying to spend the least amount of money. Good Wheels + Good Tires = Lots of money.

If you have a Discount or Americas tires you can go buy a set of Ultra, Extreme, or Max performance tires and try them out. They will let you bring them back for a full refund within a day or two if you don't like them just as long as you keep the mileage below 100 (I think it was 100, may be 50, but they should tell you when you buy them as each brand has a different return policy) They will work with you more if you decide to bring them back and decide to upgrade to wider wheels and tires.

If you get wider wheels, make sure you don't get wheels heavier than stock. The weight of your wheels can have a big impact on handling and acceleration. (Un-sprung weight and sprung weight work differently, which is why wheel weight has a bigger effect per pound than adding weight to the car) Getting a wider wheel that is lighter than the stock wheel will be the best option and will give you the best acceleration and handling, but the lighter the wheel the more expensive it gets. (Very expensive like BBS or Volk wheels, but they are some of the best wheels you can buy) You also need to make sure you pay attention to the weight of the tire itself as tire weight can very a lot. You could end up buying a rim that was 5 lbs lighter, but end up putting a tire on that is 5 pounds heavier and you end up with the same weight as you did before and you spent all of that money for nothing. I can't remember what the weight for the stock Gen 6 SE wheels are, but I remember them being on the heavy side, even for an OEM wheel. I think they are even heavier than the stock 18" wheels on my RX8.

Here is some interesting reading if you are interested or just want to learn a bit more.

This is a post made by someone on mini2 of his findings between a lighter and heavier wheel. The acceleration times aren't something you will really notice, but the braking results are a big increase. http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...-s-long-3.html

Quote:
Here's the results:

All testing was done in the same location, 78 degrees ambient, same direction, 3 runs each

I made the comparison even more accurate by swapping my father's 17" S-Spoke wheels on to my car instead of driving two different cars.

17's
-----
0-60mph = 7.37, 6.74, 6.85 seconds
60-0mph = 127, 125, 133 feet

16's
-----
0-60mph = 6.57, 6.67, 6.52 seconds
60-0mph = 115, 111, 113 feet

Interestingly, but not surprising, it took more power to launch the 17/run-flats. I was launching the 16's around 3200rpm to get the perfect run while it took about 4000rpm to launch the 17's. It's obvious to me that the rotational mass was the factor to get moving quicker (this is also why the first run on the 17's was significantly slower, it bogged a little at just above 3000rpm).

I ran the 17's first to insure that brake fade would not favor the 16's. Turns out the brakes cooled plenty in the tire change, although they were very hot when I changed after I was finished.

It is VERY easy for me to now see where the magazines could get higher 0-60 times. I've launched this car MANY times and it's well broken in, two factors that magazines do not have right now.

I was extremely happy to see the 111 foot braking number, that's quite impressive.

Again, take these numbers for what they are, a comparison via a G-Tech.
Here is information behind the physics of how unsprung weight effects your vehicles. The lighter the wheel, the better your shocks can keep them planted to the ground as they don't have to fight against as much wheel. Put heavier wheels on and your shocks will struggle to keep the wheels from bouncing.

http://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm

Last edited by Chris311; 05-12-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
ilikecamrys

Gameroom cash: $693135
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
View Cking's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris311 View Post
Wider wheels and better tires I said should be the last resort if you are trying to spend the least amount of money. Good Wheels + Good Tires = Lots of money.

If you have a Discount or Americas tires you can go buy a set of Ultra, Extreme, or Max performance tires and try them out. They will let you bring them back for a full refund within a day or two if you don't like them just as long as you keep the mileage below 100 (I think it was 100, may be 50, but they should tell you when you buy them as each brand has a different return policy) They will work with you more if you decide to bring them back and decide to upgrade to wider wheels and tires.

If you get wider wheels, make sure you don't get wheels heavier than stock. The weight of your wheels can have a big impact on handling and acceleration. (Un-sprung weight and sprung weight work differently, which is why wheel weight has a bigger effect per pound than adding weight to the car) Getting a wider wheel that is lighter than the stock wheel will be the best option and will give you the best acceleration and handling, but the lighter the wheel the more expensive it gets. (Very expensive like BBS or Volk wheels, but they are some of the best wheels you can buy) You also need to make sure you pay attention to the weight of the tire itself as tire weight can very a lot. You could end up buying a rim that was 5 lbs lighter, but end up putting a tire on that is 5 pounds heavier and you end up with the same weight as you did before and you spent all of that money for nothing. I can't remember what the weight for the stock Gen 6 SE wheels are, but I remember them being on the heavy side, even for an OEM wheel. I think they are even heavier than the stock 18" wheels on my RX8.

Here is some interesting reading if you are interested or just want to learn a bit more.

Here is information behind the physics of how unsprung weight effects your vehicles. The lighter the wheel, the better your shocks can keep them planted to the ground as they don't have to fight against as much wheel. Put heavier wheels on and your shocks will struggle to keep the wheels from bouncing.

http://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm
Lol wow I didn't know America's Tire would let you do that.

But yeah every 1 lb of rotational mass you save = 40lbs of car if i remember correctly.
Lightweight wheels ftw! My works are not forged but they're flow formed, which is the next step down.

I think Toyo's were pretty light tires (the T1Rs).

Yes the stock wheels are pretty damn heavy for 17s as well.

Lighter wheels = more win.

Same with brake rotors too, thats why motorcycles all have drilled ones, so it accels that much faster.

2k8 V6 SE\\MoriMotoH1 Retrofit||Work Emotion CR-ULTIMATES
||BuddyClub Coilovers||SPC Bolts||TRD Dual Catback Exhaust||
Megan Strut Bar||StopTech Slotted Rotors||PosiQuiet Pads||Fujita CAI||TN lanyards
Cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Yeah, I bought a set of Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread and immediately hated them as soon as I got on the highway after pulling out of Discount Tire. They were LOUD. They sounded like mud terrain tires. They also had horrible dry traction grip, the car was under-steering in slow speed turns in parking lots. Not sure if it was the tire, or if they had some kind of grease or something on them from their packaging. I told Discount Tire to order a set of Continental DWS tires for me instead. 4 days later they got them in and I drove back and had them switch the Goodyears out for the Contis. Even though I had been driving on the Goodyear tires for 4 days, and the Continental's were actually $4 more per tire, they ended up not charging me any extra. (I even offered to pay the $16 for the price difference but the guy wouldn't take my money) That is why I have been buying tires from Discount Tire for years. They always have great customer service. If you're nice and respectful, they will return the favor. Although, don't go in expecting freebies (That was a rare occurrence).

Last edited by Chris311; 05-12-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris311 View Post
Car and Driver posted a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 14.3 seconds @ 99mph for the 2007 Camry SE V6. Car and Driver usually posts the fastest times of any of the car magazines.

For the 2012 Camry SE V6 Car and Driver posted a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 14.3 @ 101mph.

While the 2012 Camry is lighter (121lbs lighter, not 200lbs; 3528lbs vs 3407lbs) it also has longer 1st through 3rd gears, which helps improve fuel economy and Toyota says evens them out for the 0-60. Its once you get past 60 is when the weight difference starts to show. (That is why the 2012 posts the same 1/4 mile time as the 2007 but is going 2mph faster at that point) Also, the 2012 Camry SE's have slightly wider tires which provide better traction on launch. Put a pair of the same size wheels and tires on a Gen 6 and it should post identical quarter mile times as the Gen 7.

Gen 7 has a slightly better power to weight ratio, but the Gen 6 is geared more for acceleration. So in the end, its whatever car can basically gain the most traction and since the Gen 7 comes stock with wider 18" wheels it starts off with a big advantage, until it comes up to a Gen 6 with wider tires as well.
You cant just look at one source to make that determination. The best way to compare the speed of two cars (strictly using online and magazine resources) is to check multiple articles, websites and magazines and get an average on both cars. I think this gives you a better idea of how fast a one car is vs another. I have been looking at several different reviews and test drives for each model - Take a look at some of the figures I have found:

7th Gen V6
The slowest 0-60 time I found posted is 6.0 seconds with 14.3.
Fastest time posted 5.5 0-60 with 14.1 1/4 mile.
6th and 6.5 gen V6
The slowest 0-60 time I found for 6th gen is 6.4 seconds with 14.6 1/4 mile. Fastest time for 6th gen 5.8 0-60 14.3 1/4 mile.

7th gen puts up faster numbers across the board. One review I read the author actually compares the speed of the 2 generations from his personal experience of testing both and says the 7th gen is faster hands down. I will post link when I find it. I understand putting better/wider tires on the 6th gen can help you help you achieve similar times as the 7th gen, but then again so will removing the passenger seats and spare tire to lose the 121 lbs! Or better yet if you swap the transmission axles from 6th gen into a 7th gen to achive the higher final drive ratio then you will have indentical gearing and the 7th gen will walk away from 6th gen even worse - understand? Lets not get into the variables. We are talking stock vs stock

Last edited by EddieVVTI; 05-14-2012 at 04:36 AM.
EddieVVTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)