Toyota Nation Forum banner

Question on Hid Retrofit

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  molson.david 
#1 ·
hi, im planning to retrofit my camry 2009. I was wondering which retrofit you guys use? Is there any diy? i haven't found anything for the camry 07-09. Any help would be great. Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
From my experience only the MDX retro fit has to be the easiest to do as the projected are 99% bolt on.

No DIY but here is what A quick rundown of what I did.

1. Remove bumper-remove the clips and one bolt near the hood/grille opening by pushing the center down until the clips are loose to pull out. Remove one clip and one flat head clip on each fender liner to pull and access one bolt holding bumper under each fender. Remove all 5-8 bolts located under the car securing the bumper. Remove fog light bulb connectors if you have them. Pull off the bumper near the headlight. There will a horrible snap as it releases. Do the same for the other side and remove and set aside bumper.
2. Remove headlights-remove 4 bolts securing each headlight. 2 on bottom front, 1 on bottom under fender(where bumper was) and one on top near fender. Release and slightly pull of headlights. Remove the connectors securing the high and low beam bulbs, then rotate and remove the signal and parking light bulbs and remove the headlight.
3. Bake headlights-remove all bulbs, rubber, and several Phillips screws from headlight body. There are around 10 screws. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place headlight on middle rack away direct heat source and place in oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove headlight with oven mitts and carefully and gently using either a taped screwdriver or plastic trim tool pry the lens apart from the headlight body. Go slowly here and try to keep glue off the lens.
This is a good time to paint your housing if you want. My wife likes chrome so I left it. I am not sure exactly how this comes out. Read the DIY for this.
4. Install projector- Remove all screws securing OEM projector to housing. Now take the MDX projector and take it apart to modify the shield. You have to remove a small section on the lower middle so that it fits into the Camry housing. You can see this area in the OEM shield. Out projector back together and clean lenses with alcohol prep pad. Install projector exactly like OEM projector (make sure RH Projector goes in passenger headlight and LH in driver). This is also a good time to block off squirrel spotters if you want.
5. Reinstall headlight- Preheat oven if you shut it off previously. Fit lens slightly into headlight housing and place headlight in oven for 7 minutes. Remove headlight and lens and secure the lens into housing until seated like OEM. Use a pair of pliers to clamp the lens to the housing in areas where there is a gap after installing. This is a good time to modify your rubber headlight plug to fit the new projector. Install all screws and get ready to install light.
6. Install wiring and ballasts-mount your ballasts where ever you plan to mount them and run your wiring from the battery and headlight connector to the other side of the car.
7. Reinstall lights into car-reinstall lights using same 4 bolts as before. Reinstall parking and turn signal lights and high beam connector. Power on lights to make sure they work.
8. Install bumper-install bumper reverse from removal.
9. Align headlights. Use DOT procedure to align headlights to the wall at 25 ft.

Be amazed as your retrofit.

There is a DIY on this forum for removing bumper, baking and disassembling headlights, and modifying MDX projector. Check out glenn14's update thread for this retrofit.

I did my whole retrofit for 352 including
2x MDX D2S HID projectors
2x Morimoto 3Five 4300K bulbs
TRS(theretrofitsource) relay harness
TRS TSX-R clear lenses (PITA to mount)
Denso Slim RX330/RX350 ballasts
TRS Denso pig tails

For other retrofits like RX330, S2000, TSX, Morimoto, FX35, etc check out HIDplanet.com, google, and this forum.

TRS also makes a Morimoto Retro-Quik system with a bolt in Morimoto Mini H1 projector and everything to make it work.

I used HIDplanet to buy my ballasts and for sale section here to buy projectors and bulbs. Shop around for the best price.

Reactions: 09Camree
#3 ·
From my experience only the MDX retro fit has to be the easiest to do as the projected are 99% bolt on.

No DIY but here is what A quick rundown of what I did.

1. Remove bumper-remove the clips and one bolt near the hood/grille opening by pushing the center down until the clips are loose to pull out. Remove one clip and one flat head clip on each fender liner to pull and access one bolt holding bumper under each fender. Remove all 5-8 bolts located under the car securing the bumper. Remove fog light bulb connectors if you have them. Pull off the bumper near the headlight. There will a horrible snap as it releases. Do the same for the other side and remove and set aside bumper.
2. Remove headlights-remove 4 bolts securing each headlight. 2 on bottom front, 1 on bottom under fender(where bumper was) and one on top near fender. Release and slightly pull of headlights. Remove the connectors securing the high and low beam bulbs, then rotate and remove the signal and parking light bulbs and remove the headlight.
3. Bake headlights-remove all bulbs, rubber, and several Phillips screws from headlight body. There are around 10 screws. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place headlight on middle rack away direct heat source and place in oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove headlight with oven mitts and carefully and gently using either a taped screwdriver or plastic trim tool pry the lens apart from the headlight body. Go slowly here and try to keep glue off the lens.
This is a good time to paint your housing if you want. My wife likes chrome so I left it. I am not sure exactly how this comes out. Read the DIY for this.
4. Install projector- Remove all screws securing OEM projector to housing. Now take the MDX projector and take it apart to modify the shield. You have to remove a small section on the lower middle so that it fits into the Camry housing. You can see this area in the OEM shield. Out projector back together and clean lenses with alcohol prep pad. Install projector exactly like OEM projector (make sure RH Projector goes in passenger headlight and LH in driver). This is also a good time to block off squirrel spotters if you want.
5. Reinstall headlight- Preheat oven if you shut it off previously. Fit lens slightly into headlight housing and place headlight in oven for 7 minutes. Remove headlight and lens and secure the lens into housing until seated like OEM. Use a pair of pliers to clamp the lens to the housing in areas where there is a gap after installing. This is a good time to modify your rubber headlight plug to fit the new projector. Install all screws and get ready to install light.
6. Install wiring and ballasts-mount your ballasts where ever you plan to mount them and run your wiring from the battery and headlight connector to the other side of the car.
7. Reinstall lights into car-reinstall lights using same 4 bolts as before. Reinstall parking and turn signal lights and high beam connector. Power on lights to make sure they work.
8. Install bumper-install bumper reverse from removal.
9. Align headlights. Use DOT procedure to align headlights to the wall at 25 ft.

Be amazed as your retrofit.

There is a DIY on this forum for removing bumper, baking and disassembling headlights, and modifying MDX projector. Check out glenn14's update thread for this retrofit.

I did my whole retrofit for 352 including
2x MDX D2S HID projectors
2x Morimoto 3Five 4300K bulbs
TRS(theretrofitsource) relay harness
TRS TSX-R clear lenses (PITA to mount)
Denso Slim RX330/RX350 ballasts
TRS Denso pig tails

For other retrofits like RX330, S2000, TSX, Morimoto, FX35, etc check out HIDplanet.com, google, and this forum.

TRS also makes a Morimoto Retro-Quik system with a bolt in Morimoto Mini H1 projector and everything to make it work.

I used HIDplanet to buy my ballasts and for sale section here to buy projectors and bulbs. Shop around for the best price.
Question...
what if you already have an HID kit but not retrofitted? How much was the cost the way you are explaining it? Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
This is mostly summarizing the previous comments with a few of my own:

- Easiest HID setup is covering your squirrels spotters on your existing projectors (to prevent blinding oncoming traffic with intense glare), however once you see the comparison of light output of stock to some nicer projectors you will want to change them.

- Next easiest is Acura MDX Projectors. If you can't find any, you can buy a set of headlights on ebay and tear out the projectors.

- Third easiest would be to buy morimoto mini's with a mounting bracket kit to fit it in the camry headlight housing, from TRS: http://www.theretrofitsource.com

- One of the harder options would be to add in RX-AFS, which require modding both the projector and housing to make it fit properly, as well as a mounting bracket. I did a retro with this, but it was a lot of work, check my profile for my retrofit thread.

- Not sure about the RX-3/4XX's, but the non-AFS projectors look more similar to the MDX and I assume would be slightly more difficult or on par with the morimoto mini. Here's an HID planet thread on distinguishing AFS with non-AFS projectors. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?27314-RX-330-350-400h-AFS-vs-non-AFS-projectors

I would suggest buying a spare set of headlights, if you have the budget, and working on them on your own pace. Make sure you take your time and spend as much time as you need on them, once you put them in, you're not going to want to take them back out and open them back up if you forgot something or need to adjust/fix it. I so badly wanted to seal mine back up after I thought I was done, and then stepped back and let them sit for another 2 weeks and realized I had missed something.

Reactions: Big_Greg
#10 ·
07-09 Camry headlights: almost directly bolt in: MDX projectors (2.5")
10-11 Camry headlights: almost directly bolt in: RX350 projectors (3")

Reactions: bluninja123
#12 ·
Bulbs (D2S), Ballasts, Relay harness (Optional), Butyl glue (or rtv silicone. Mainly to reseal, optional, but I'd recommend), an oven, a set of metric sockets, and a few screwdrivers (Philips to remove the small screws on the back of the headlight, and a flathead with painters tape on the end to pry apart).

Reactions: bluninja123
#14 ·
New bulbs, and assuming your ballasts use AMP connectors you will need AMP to D2S connectors.

#15 ·
#20 ·
Should probably say this too. For you gen 6'ers, be careful of the MDX projectors you get. You want 07-09s I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.