Question on Hid Retrofit - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Unknown
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question on Hid Retrofit

hi, im planning to retrofit my camry 2009. I was wondering which retrofit you guys use? Is there any diy? i haven't found anything for the camry 07-09. Any help would be great. Thank you
MistuhVinhie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Toyota Fanatic
 
hardtopte72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 633
Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
From my experience only the MDX retro fit has to be the easiest to do as the projected are 99% bolt on.

No DIY but here is what A quick rundown of what I did.

1. Remove bumper-remove the clips and one bolt near the hood/grille opening by pushing the center down until the clips are loose to pull out. Remove one clip and one flat head clip on each fender liner to pull and access one bolt holding bumper under each fender. Remove all 5-8 bolts located under the car securing the bumper. Remove fog light bulb connectors if you have them. Pull off the bumper near the headlight. There will a horrible snap as it releases. Do the same for the other side and remove and set aside bumper.
2. Remove headlights-remove 4 bolts securing each headlight. 2 on bottom front, 1 on bottom under fender(where bumper was) and one on top near fender. Release and slightly pull of headlights. Remove the connectors securing the high and low beam bulbs, then rotate and remove the signal and parking light bulbs and remove the headlight.
3. Bake headlights-remove all bulbs, rubber, and several Phillips screws from headlight body. There are around 10 screws. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place headlight on middle rack away direct heat source and place in oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove headlight with oven mitts and carefully and gently using either a taped screwdriver or plastic trim tool pry the lens apart from the headlight body. Go slowly here and try to keep glue off the lens.
This is a good time to paint your housing if you want. My wife likes chrome so I left it. I am not sure exactly how this comes out. Read the DIY for this.
4. Install projector- Remove all screws securing OEM projector to housing. Now take the MDX projector and take it apart to modify the shield. You have to remove a small section on the lower middle so that it fits into the Camry housing. You can see this area in the OEM shield. Out projector back together and clean lenses with alcohol prep pad. Install projector exactly like OEM projector (make sure RH Projector goes in passenger headlight and LH in driver). This is also a good time to block off squirrel spotters if you want.
5. Reinstall headlight- Preheat oven if you shut it off previously. Fit lens slightly into headlight housing and place headlight in oven for 7 minutes. Remove headlight and lens and secure the lens into housing until seated like OEM. Use a pair of pliers to clamp the lens to the housing in areas where there is a gap after installing. This is a good time to modify your rubber headlight plug to fit the new projector. Install all screws and get ready to install light.
6. Install wiring and ballasts-mount your ballasts where ever you plan to mount them and run your wiring from the battery and headlight connector to the other side of the car.
7. Reinstall lights into car-reinstall lights using same 4 bolts as before. Reinstall parking and turn signal lights and high beam connector. Power on lights to make sure they work.
8. Install bumper-install bumper reverse from removal.
9. Align headlights. Use DOT procedure to align headlights to the wall at 25 ft.

Be amazed as your retrofit.

There is a DIY on this forum for removing bumper, baking and disassembling headlights, and modifying MDX projector. Check out glenn14's update thread for this retrofit.

I did my whole retrofit for 352 including
2x MDX D2S HID projectors
2x Morimoto 3Five 4300K bulbs
TRS(theretrofitsource) relay harness
TRS TSX-R clear lenses (PITA to mount)
Denso Slim RX330/RX350 ballasts
TRS Denso pig tails

For other retrofits like RX330, S2000, TSX, Morimoto, FX35, etc check out HIDplanet.com, google, and this forum.

TRS also makes a Morimoto Retro-Quik system with a bolt in Morimoto Mini H1 projector and everything to make it work.

I used HIDplanet to buy my ballasts and for sale section here to buy projectors and bulbs. Shop around for the best price.



My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.

Last edited by hardtopte72; 09-26-2012 at 04:00 PM.
hardtopte72 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
09Camree (01-02-2014)
#3 Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
From my experience only the MDX retro fit has to be the easiest to do as the projected are 99% bolt on.

No DIY but here is what A quick rundown of what I did.

1. Remove bumper-remove the clips and one bolt near the hood/grille opening by pushing the center down until the clips are loose to pull out. Remove one clip and one flat head clip on each fender liner to pull and access one bolt holding bumper under each fender. Remove all 5-8 bolts located under the car securing the bumper. Remove fog light bulb connectors if you have them. Pull off the bumper near the headlight. There will a horrible snap as it releases. Do the same for the other side and remove and set aside bumper.
2. Remove headlights-remove 4 bolts securing each headlight. 2 on bottom front, 1 on bottom under fender(where bumper was) and one on top near fender. Release and slightly pull of headlights. Remove the connectors securing the high and low beam bulbs, then rotate and remove the signal and parking light bulbs and remove the headlight.
3. Bake headlights-remove all bulbs, rubber, and several Phillips screws from headlight body. There are around 10 screws. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place headlight on middle rack away direct heat source and place in oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove headlight with oven mitts and carefully and gently using either a taped screwdriver or plastic trim tool pry the lens apart from the headlight body. Go slowly here and try to keep glue off the lens.
This is a good time to paint your housing if you want. My wife likes chrome so I left it. I am not sure exactly how this comes out. Read the DIY for this.
4. Install projector- Remove all screws securing OEM projector to housing. Now take the MDX projector and take it apart to modify the shield. You have to remove a small section on the lower middle so that it fits into the Camry housing. You can see this area in the OEM shield. Out projector back together and clean lenses with alcohol prep pad. Install projector exactly like OEM projector (make sure RH Projector goes in passenger headlight and LH in driver). This is also a good time to block off squirrel spotters if you want.
5. Reinstall headlight- Preheat oven if you shut it off previously. Fit lens slightly into headlight housing and place headlight in oven for 7 minutes. Remove headlight and lens and secure the lens into housing until seated like OEM. Use a pair of pliers to clamp the lens to the housing in areas where there is a gap after installing. This is a good time to modify your rubber headlight plug to fit the new projector. Install all screws and get ready to install light.
6. Install wiring and ballasts-mount your ballasts where ever you plan to mount them and run your wiring from the battery and headlight connector to the other side of the car.
7. Reinstall lights into car-reinstall lights using same 4 bolts as before. Reinstall parking and turn signal lights and high beam connector. Power on lights to make sure they work.
8. Install bumper-install bumper reverse from removal.
9. Align headlights. Use DOT procedure to align headlights to the wall at 25 ft.

Be amazed as your retrofit.

There is a DIY on this forum for removing bumper, baking and disassembling headlights, and modifying MDX projector. Check out glenn14's update thread for this retrofit.

I did my whole retrofit for 352 including
2x MDX D2S HID projectors
2x Morimoto 3Five 4300K bulbs
TRS(theretrofitsource) relay harness
TRS TSX-R clear lenses (PITA to mount)
Denso Slim RX330/RX350 ballasts
TRS Denso pig tails

For other retrofits like RX330, S2000, TSX, Morimoto, FX35, etc check out HIDplanet.com, google, and this forum.

TRS also makes a Morimoto Retro-Quik system with a bolt in Morimoto Mini H1 projector and everything to make it work.

I used HIDplanet to buy my ballasts and for sale section here to buy projectors and bulbs. Shop around for the best price.
Question...
what if you already have an HID kit but not retrofitted? How much was the cost the way you are explaining it? Thanks in advance.
jdrlovescamryse is offline  
#4 Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Moderator
 
Zmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 208 Times in 177 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrlovescamryse View Post
Question...
what if you already have an HID kit but not retrofitted? How much was the cost the way you are explaining it? Thanks in advance.
-New bulbs (Morimotos are about $45)
-AMP to D2S connectors (Assuming you want to use your old ones. $15)
-Projectors (Varies depending on what you want. MDX's are about $125+/-)

Optional:
-Relay harness (Protects stock wiring. $30)
-Clear lens ($40-50)

I ended up around $300 total for my retrofit while reusing old ballasts. Last I heard, TRS was out of the 07-09 MDX projectors a few weeks ago. You can optionally go for their Retro-quick kit which comes with everything you need, including new ballasts, for $300.

Note that this is for an 07-09 Camry. 10+ Camrys have RX350 projectors that can drop right in instead of MDXs.


2007 Camry SE 2.4
MDX Retrofit + Black Series lens + CBI, Rosen G3, LED interior/license plate, Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights

Last edited by Zmon; 10-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Zmon is offline  
#5 Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmon View Post
-New bulbs (Morimotos are about $45)
-AMP to D2S connectors (Assuming you want to use your old ones. $15)
-Projectors (Varies depending on what you want. MDX's are about $125+/-)

Optional:
-Relay harness (Protects stock wiring. $30)
-Clear lens ($40-50)

I ended up around $300 total for my retrofit while reusing old ballasts. Last I heard, TRS was out of the 07-09 MDX projectors a few weeks ago. You can optionally go for their Retro-quick kit which comes with everything you need, including new ballasts, for $300.

Note that this is for an 07-09 Camry. 10+ Camrys have RX350 projectors that can drop right in instead of MDXs.
300 hundred I can't spare Well I guess I will stick to just my HID's for now. Baby boy on the way so camry is now second in line lol I really appreciate the input though very thorough
jdrlovescamryse is offline  
#6 Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Official TN Member
 
eighty5iv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 14
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrlovescamryse View Post
300 hundred I can't spare Well I guess I will stick to just my HID's for now. Baby boy on the way so camry is now second in line lol I really appreciate the input though very thorough
it should be less than 300 if you going for the retro-quik system. it should be around 150 for the projector and brackets only. assuming you reusing old ballasts which are probably amp connections you would only need to buy bulbs additionally. and maybe a harness so it should press around 200-225.
eighty5iv is offline  
#7 Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 71
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does the Lexus RX330 projectors directly fit in the gen 6.5 Camry? I was thinking about doing a retrofit on my '11 Camry but TRS ran out of RX350 projectors and only have the RX330 left.
phitat is offline  
#8 Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Moderator
 
Zmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 208 Times in 177 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty5iv View Post
it should be less than 300 if you going for the retro-quik system. it should be around 150 for the projector and brackets only. assuming you reusing old ballasts which are probably amp connections you would only need to buy bulbs additionally. and maybe a harness so it should press around 200-225.
Oops, forgot about the projectors/brackets option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitat View Post
Does the Lexus RX330 projectors directly fit in the gen 6.5 Camry? I was thinking about doing a retrofit on my '11 Camry but TRS ran out of RX350 projectors and only have the RX330 left.
Just the 350's I believe.


2007 Camry SE 2.4
MDX Retrofit + Black Series lens + CBI, Rosen G3, LED interior/license plate, Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Zmon is offline  
#9 Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 PM
TN Master of Solder
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central MA
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 13
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
This is mostly summarizing the previous comments with a few of my own:

- Easiest HID setup is covering your squirrels spotters on your existing projectors (to prevent blinding oncoming traffic with intense glare), however once you see the comparison of light output of stock to some nicer projectors you will want to change them.

- Next easiest is Acura MDX Projectors. If you can't find any, you can buy a set of headlights on ebay and tear out the projectors.

- Third easiest would be to buy morimoto mini's with a mounting bracket kit to fit it in the camry headlight housing, from TRS: http://www.theretrofitsource.com

- One of the harder options would be to add in RX-AFS, which require modding both the projector and housing to make it fit properly, as well as a mounting bracket. I did a retro with this, but it was a lot of work, check my profile for my retrofit thread.

- Not sure about the RX-3/4XX's, but the non-AFS projectors look more similar to the MDX and I assume would be slightly more difficult or on par with the morimoto mini. Here's an HID planet thread on distinguishing AFS with non-AFS projectors. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...AFS-projectors

I would suggest buying a spare set of headlights, if you have the budget, and working on them on your own pace. Make sure you take your time and spend as much time as you need on them, once you put them in, you're not going to want to take them back out and open them back up if you forgot something or need to adjust/fix it. I so badly wanted to seal mine back up after I thought I was done, and then stepped back and let them sit for another 2 weeks and realized I had missed something.


2009 Camry SE|Metallic Grey|Ashe Leather
All Interior LEDs | Load Resistors | LED Dual Color Turn Signals |Smoked LED Tail Lights | Cree 3W LED Reverse Lights | Rear V-Star Turn Signals | 4300K HID | Blackened Headlights | Black Cluster w/ Red/Blue Gauge & Green Needles | Yellow Fogs | 35% Tint
jonez is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jonez For This Useful Post:
Big_Greg (11-21-2012)
#10 Old 10-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Senior TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 83
Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
07-09 Camry headlights: almost directly bolt in: MDX projectors (2.5")
10-11 Camry headlights: almost directly bolt in: RX350 projectors (3")

2008 Toyota Camry LE I4 - Modifications as if they come with the car.
- TRD wheels, TRD suspensions
- OEM replica navigation with iGo/Tomtom/...
- Folding LED signal side mirrors with JDM control switch
- HID retrofit headlights with S2000 projectors and Denso ballasts, fog lights
tengiday is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tengiday For This Useful Post:
bluninja123 (11-07-2012)
#11 Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Im looking to do a retrofit with my 11 camry with the rx 350 projectors and my question is what all do i need in order for this to go smoothly. I would like to know what all i would need so that way i can way my budget around and thanks in advance.
bluninja123 is offline  
#12 Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Moderator
 
Zmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 208 Times in 177 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluninja123 View Post
Im looking to do a retrofit with my 11 camry with the rx 350 projectors and my question is what all do i need in order for this to go smoothly. I would like to know what all i would need so that way i can way my budget around and thanks in advance.
Bulbs (D2S), Ballasts, Relay harness (Optional), Butyl glue (or rtv silicone. Mainly to reseal, optional, but I'd recommend), an oven, a set of metric sockets, and a few screwdrivers (Philips to remove the small screws on the back of the headlight, and a flathead with painters tape on the end to pry apart).


2007 Camry SE 2.4
MDX Retrofit + Black Series lens + CBI, Rosen G3, LED interior/license plate, Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Zmon is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Zmon For This Useful Post:
bluninja123 (11-07-2012)
#13 Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i already have a HID kit already. with retrofitting will i need a new kit
bluninja123 is offline  
#14 Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Moderator
 
Zmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 208 Times in 177 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluninja123 View Post
i already have a HID kit already. with retrofitting will i need a new kit
New bulbs, and assuming your ballasts use AMP connectors you will need AMP to D2S connectors.


2007 Camry SE 2.4
MDX Retrofit + Black Series lens + CBI, Rosen G3, LED interior/license plate, Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Zmon is offline  
#15 Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
 
glenn14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Shrewsbury, Ma
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 95
Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Here is my write up on my MDX projector retrofit, I was the 1st person on TN to discover that these fit.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...te-thread.html

Glenn

MDX-TSX-R HID RETROFIT, XENON DIGITAL BALLASTS, 85122 + BULBS, GEN 6.5 CHROME WHEELS, ADVENT NAVI MEGANF.S.T.B. BLACKED OUT HEADLIGHTS, W.T FLOORLINER
glenn14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome