Toyota Nation Forum banner

Bad Throttle Body?

19K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Toyota Camry, 2.4L. I was driving to work yesterday and lost all power on the highway in the middle of rush hour traffic, YIKES! I made to the side of the road and started back up, check engine light came on. Took it to Auto Zone and OBD says code P2112, Throttle Actuator Control system stuck closed. Took it home, pulled the throttle body off, cleaned it out, throttle plate was tought to move, but it got a little easier to move around with cleaning. I cleared the code, started her up and she immediately shut down. CEL came back on, only now it is P2111, same thing, but stuck open. Looks like I am forking out the $1200 to get it replaced. Any other suggestions?

#2 ·
Woah no way you have to go with the $1200 TB. They can be had on eBay fr around 100 bucks.

The TB for yours is for 22030-0H020/21 for 04-06 Camry/Solara but I am 95% sure any 2004-2012 2AZFE Camry, tC, xB, Highlander, etc. TB will work. And it's only 4 bolts, 2 hoses, and a vacuum line to replace and takes maybe 20 minutes.

Here is a link to some used TB's.

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/sear...sort=BestMatch&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&isNewKw=true

I have only seem this once on a severely gummed Scion tC.

Hope this helps. You should be the guinea pig for the 22030-0H030/31 and see if it works to get an internally updated TB.

Reactions: Longstroke
#8 ·
If your comparing it to the old days of the accelerator wire yes it gives more resistance because your manually turning the gears of the electronic motor. I would try to take the plastic cover off, see whats going on inside. Maye you will see something, lube the gears, etc.

#9 ·
If your comparing it to the old days of the accelerator wire yes it gives more resistance because your manually turning the gears of the electronic motor. I would try to take the plastic cover off, see whats going on inside. Maye you will see something, lube the gears, etc.
I would love to see pics of the inside of the throttle body. I have a 2003 camry 4 cyl. and have the same setup. I say time to operate on the old throttle body... :D

#14 ·
No real mounting surface to clean. The gasket is a protruding oring rather than a flat gasket.

I don't even replace them most of the time. They last forever. Since you likely bought one, just pop out the old and in with the new.

To remove and replace the TB.
Remove the air intake hose and 1 vacuum hose attached to the TB nipple.
Remove the 4 bolts/nut combo that secure the throttle body.
Remove the one large throttle body electrical connector.
Pull the throttle body off of the studs and then remove the 2 coolant hoses running into the throttle body by lowering the clamps lower on those hose and maneuvering off the hose (you may need needle nose pliers and proper sized hoses pliers).
Remove gasket
Reverse procedure for installation.

#18 ·
Awesome. Which part number did you end up getting and from where did you get it?

Glad everything worked out.

Keep it clean lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.