Wrong filter? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)

5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View WilliamM2's Photo Gallery
Wrong filter?

I just had the oil changed on my 2009 Camry LE 2.4. I noticed on the reciept that it listed the 90915-YZZF2 filter, I know the correct part number is 90915-YZZF1, which is almost an inch longer. I called the shop that did it, and he assured me that the reciept was wrong, and they used the correct part.

I just crawled under the car, and they did use the wrong filter, they used the shorter F2. What kind of damage can this cause? Of course I will be calling them in the morning.

Last edited by WilliamM2; 11-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.
WilliamM2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic

Gameroom cash: $1045850
Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,451 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View hardtopte72's Photo Gallery
It won't cause any damage. People accidentally do that all the time.

Case in point the TF4477 filter specified for most 4 Cyl Toyotas that is sold by almost every aftermarket chain/lube shops in some form is actually the size of the F2 and is the only size available.

Its better to have the taller filter (on all models even those that spec the F2) but no damage will result. You can complain if you like but it's mostly a waste of everyone's time.

On the flip side you should probably stop using Toyota oil filters, they are of extremely poor quality and while I hvent seem one fail yet or cause damage I wouldn't run on on a strangers car if it were up to me. Take it for what it's worth but you can buy a bunch of Purolator PL14477 PureOne filters which not only lead in filtering, but are better constructed, cheaper, and have a nice grip coating. You can buy them on Amazon or Advance auto and buy 10 or so at a time, then just have the dealer use your filter when changing the oil. Should cost nearly the same price.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 Hardtop 1JZGTE R154
2005 Corolla CE Manual 1ZZFE
2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

If I helped out in any way please hit the blue Thanks button on my post.
hardtopte72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

So it's nothing to worry about at all? It's actually not a Toyota filter, but a Denso 100-1000 (90915-YZZF2 equivalent). It's my understanding that they make the Toyota OEM filters. I'm also disapointed that the shop uses Toyota part numbers, but not Toyota parts.

It appears to be about 3/4" shorter than the original on my wife's car (we both have 2009 Camry's).
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
Absolutely nothing is going to happen. A Denso filter is actually the OEM part, the Toyota part number is just used for their part numbering system, it is exactly the same as the 90915-YZZXX

My Toyota List:

2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

The Following User Says Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
WilliamM2 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Well I guess if it won't damage the engine, I won't hassle with going back. I just thought a shorter filter might starve the engine of oil.

It was actually a highly rated independent shop that specializes in Toyotas and Hondas that did the work. They had a special offer of $39.99 for a full synthetic oil change, so I though I would give them a shot.

I'm not so sure how they got such a great reputation. First they thought my car used 5W30, not 0W20, then they used the wrong filter and lied to me about it when I called. I won't be going back.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Gameroom cash: $956631
Lifetime Supreme Member
View Zembonez's Photo Gallery
Zero issues. Most filters have about the same amount of filtering media inside. Change it again as scheduled and be happy!

Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Zembonez For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (11-21-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
イリジウム

Gameroom cash: $921730
Supreme Member
View JohnGD's Photo Gallery
Many thought their shops were great because they really didn't know what was done. Therefore a lot of recommendations are unwarranted. There are dealer techs who won't change the new eco-friendly filter cartridge - they just drain/refill oil and return the car to you.

+1. Denso makes the OEM filters. On some Toyota filters they'll have "Denso" printed on there too. But you're right, technically the shop is wrong to use the Toyota part number. As Zembonez said, sometimes larger size casing doesn't contain more filter material.

Usually shops use the taller filter instead of the shorter one. One TN member used an oversized filter - Motorcraft FL400s, which is made by Purolator. If you change your own oil that would be an option, with fully synthetic oil too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
Well I guess if it won't damage the engine, I won't hassle with going back. I just thought a shorter filter might starve the engine of oil.

It was actually a highly rated independent shop that specializes in Toyotas and Hondas that did the work. They had a special offer of $39.99 for a full synthetic oil change, so I though I would give them a shot.

I'm not so sure how they got such a great reputation. First they thought my car used 5W30, not 0W20, then they used the wrong filter and lied to me about it when I called. I won't be going back.
JohnGD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
Every lube shop and Firestone/Goodyear I have seen in my area only carries a smaller F2 sized oil filter and lists it for all applications including 1/2ZZ, 1/2AZ, 3/4/7A, 2/5S (3S specs 90915-YZZG1 sized TF335) 1NZ, 3/5E, and any other that use that filter. They also use a one size fits all approach to Truck I4, I6, V6 and V8 Toyotas with the G1 sized TF335 instead of also having a larger 90915-YZZD3 sized filter for trucks. While the 400 may fit the book specs a different filter based on my experience.

I wouldnt swear it. Word of mouth is powerful and is how we find good and bad things. The same way you were recommended it as a good shop is the same way you wont recommend it to someone else. Everyone's results aren't typical. I'm sure that shop has merits but in the end doing it yourself is a better option (and cheaper as you can do a synthetic change at home for around 35 bucks tax included.)

Also the not changing of that filter is not limited to dealer techs.

My Toyota List:

2009 Camry LE Auto 2AZFE

Last edited by hardtopte72; 11-20-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hack

View ConnCarl's Photo Gallery
+1 on the Purolator Pure One. Awesome filter at a good price. Can't go wrong.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Need For Speed

Gameroom cash: $1337550
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View arabianobsession's Photo Gallery
This can happen with other vehicles too...my old car took a shorter filter made for GM's but since the longer one fit I always used it. Not really a huge deal.
arabianobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)